Whole fish from the weekend

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomsdotcom

Reaction score
Usually have to come up with a few "sets" for whole fish for the weekend. Little bit daunting, as the pick-up has to be easy, but needs to feel like a complete plate.

This week was a Scorpion fish with massaman curry, pinnapple, herbs and crispy shallot/garlic

and a Branzino with lovage puree, saffron, and clams

Photos here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjqAbNnAeGB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=14xkn4gwstp36

Oh and a whole friend fish head for good measure
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhUj6FHHL6B/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=14ik4isxm73xi

as the fish yells 'get over hereeeeeeee!!'
hqdefault.jpg

How do you eat the fish head? Do you just... like... bite.. the side of his... face? Is there meat in there? I've only ever heard of cod cheeks, or fish head soup.

Well the collar and the top of the head have quite a bit of meat. Especially on some of the larger rockfish or yellowtail jack heads. We only charge $15 for it. So less than say the crudo thats only a 2oz portion.

Basically just pick at it with a fork, or if you are cool you can break it apart with your bare hands

You can eat scorpion fish,really? When I was diving,I didn't even want to get near them.I came within a few inches of their spines once and was saved by my dive buddy.

You can eat scorpion fish,really? When I was diving,I didn't even want to get near them.I came within a few inches of their spines once and was saved by my dive buddy.
Yes sir, just gotta remove those. Wouldn't want to run into one in the ocean though. I'll admit when I'm grabbing them to put them in the pan it still stresses me out a bit haha

Definitely poked one on a free dive so my family could see it from the surface about 40 ft above me when I was 13. Was watching discovery Chanel back home a few weeks later, one of those countdown "most deadly" lists and saw it was number three hahahahah :eek2:

Back