Why you should never make a spreadsheet

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Should anything happen to me..." Yeah, like your wife finding the spreadsheet and killing you. At least afterward sh'll have some idea how much she can get for them :D
I've aked my wife to use only the Munetoshi butchers to stab me if she choses. And specifically not try to decapitate me with my many nakiri, thats what that huge ass Foster Bros cleaver is for! *Justified purchase* "Always .... wash and dry .... Immediate after use" will be my famous last words

I've aked my wife to use only the Munetoshi butchers to stab me if she choses. And specifically not try to decapitate me with my many nakiri, thats what that huge ass Foster Bros cleaver is for! *Justified purchase* "Always .... wash and dry .... Immediate after use" will be my famous last words

If I get killed by my wife I would ask them to use my Victorinox chefs knife. Don't want to lower the value of my good ones with a murder now...

Do you guys mark the value of the knives at what you spent or at the current market value? [emoji848]

"Should anything happen to me..." Yeah, like your wife finding the spreadsheet and killing you. At least afterward sh'll have some idea how much she can get for them :D

Your number is also on that spreadsheet. So when she calls, just make sure my “departure” is legit before you start helping her unload.

Your number is also on that spreadsheet. So when she calls, just make sure my “departure” is legit before you start helping her unload.
"It was the strangest thing! He was in the kitchen dicing onions when I heard him scream. Apparently the knife hit the cutting board so hard it bounced back up and got stuck in his back! Sob!"

"Don't worry, ma'am, I know what to do with all of these Billips and Bloodroot knives. Let me get them out of your house so they don't hurt anyone else."

I have a spreadsheet .. been running one for years now mostly due to photography. Photography got much more expensive form e then knives, but it also made money, so there's justification.

I still keep a spreadsheet around for other hobbies just to keep things sane. I tend to be very obsessive so I set rules before I start, like one-in-one-out etc, it really does help if you can follow them.

I'm a numbers guy professionally, so I have used a spreadsheet since I started. Over the years I've had various hobbies and I find that the spreadsheet helps keep me accountable (mostly to myself, but also my wife) and so I can recognize when enough is enough. Hobbies like bike racing, knives, guns, woodworking - they get expensive when you go full-in, which is my tendency. I applaud those who can manage the knife hobby without one and have the restraint to follow their own rules (@Barashka). If nothing else, it's helpful to know that others do the same thing and struggle with the same symptoms!

struggle with the same symptoms
Oh, the struggle is real!

Do you guys mark the value of the knives at what you spent or at the current market value?
As for what's in the spreadsheet:
- purchase date and cost, sale date and cost of applicable.
- often why I got it
- measurements and steel
- first and later impressions, stuff like f&f, use on soft and hard stuff, handle feel, food separation, balance and authority, grind guestimate, patina or food coloring .. pretty much anything that comes up.
- sale reason, if any.

Why write so much? Because I forget ... I try to keep logs a lot.

Back