Wood for mounting natural stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to ask what wood types would be suitable for mounting of natural stones. I should be getting a few smaller/thinner stones soon and somehow would prefer to mount them on a piece of wood, than a hard PVC.

Also - I have been using epoxy so far to mount stones on a base, but have heard that silicone should work too - any experience on that?

thank you

Matus, I used E6000. Its a waterproof non hardening self leveling glue. I mounted my 10 mm aiiwatani to a block of cherry wood 1.5" thick and put some non-skid feet on it. So I can use it stand alone or in a holder

I think the consensus is that any "Hard" wood will do as long as its oiled very well or sealed in some form of lacquer. Now finding nice pieces of wood to match my beautifull stones is the issue i am having as most of the wood dealers seem to only cut blocks

Thank you. I will be looking for something in that line in Germany.

Dave, I barely got that translated to German, but finding that wood around here seems next to impossible.

This is the closest I got :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Hardwood that is sealed should work just fine. if you have problems finding wood i have plenty of different varieties , if you get me the specifications i could send you the pieces planed and to size :)

Edit: Dictum sells both excotic wood and domestic wood in smaller amounts.

Thank you. Juztian, that is very kind of you, I will PM you once the stones arrive (which may be 2-3 weeks).

One more question. Let's say I get a nice piece of hard wood for the stone. How should I 'seal' is? And if I were to seal it - would I first glue the stone to it and seal it afterwards - or the other way round?

Thank you.

I assume when ppl say sealed wood, they mean treated wood. So it does not shrink/exapnd with time and moisture. The easiest way is to buy already treated wood.

I use oak, so much spray lacquer that smaller animals in the neighbourhood gets permanent nerve damage and when everything is nice and dry I attach the sealed stone with bathroom silicone.

I would treat the wood, properly with at lacquer which is water resistant. 2 component lacquer works the best, before i mount it on the stone.

So long as the wood's reasonable - treated, for eg, I guess - I think you're free to get what you like.

Along with glue or silicon to fasten it, you might consider a more artisanal way of securing your stone - though more for thick stones, not thin. If you're handy with a chisel, instead of gluing, etc, try chiseling out the wood in the shape of your stone and using the wood base + stone this way. This would work really well for irregularly shaped stones. However, if your stones are thin but regular you don't need a mount and can just use something non slip on an elevated surface, like a board across your sink or, like I do, on top of another stone.

Thanks. I am looking at the lacquer options. I would prefer somethinig natural like shelack, I just want to be sure that the glue will stick to it later. I would appreciate advice on the selection of lacquer. What do you guys use?

Maths, This was recommended to me by my local woodworking store to use for the wood wall magnets that i'm building. Its really easy to apply, dries quickly and is designed to be buffed. Brings out luster and protects the wood. However, I'm not even the slight bit knowledgeable about this subject, but am very happy with the results. Very very inexpensive too. Little goes a loooong way.

https://generalfinishes.com/retail-products/oil-based-top-coats/salad-bowl-finish#.V-0n7jKZPBI

Maths, This was recommended to me by my local woodworking store to use for the wood wall magnets that i'm building. Its really easy to apply, dries quickly and is designed to be buffed. Brings out luster and protects the wood. However, I'm not even the slight bit knowledgeable about this subject, but am very happy with the results. Very very inexpensive too. Little goes a loooong way.

https://generalfinishes.com/retail-products/oil-based-top-coats/salad-bowl-finish#.V-0n7jKZPBI

looks great, is the "30 day cure time" for real though?

I mean like should it not be used for 30 days with water or is that just them covering their bases?

I think when they say use, it would be used for a tossed salad pr for holding food and such. Prob a lot more stressing to the wood than a little splash of water and mud. It's not like J nats should be soaked anyway.

OK, I am working to mount the first stone. I bough a nice (super well squared-up) piece of plum wood. I plan to put a few coats of clear (light yellow when dry) shellac on it.

I have used a smaller piece of the same wood for testing and I am having problems to get a nice finish. Even after 3rd coat I can not get something at least semi-gloss. I am using steel wool (which sucks as it seems to catch on the grain and stain it). Since I do not have buffer - what would be the best way to get a nice 'deep' finish (well, if that is even possible with shellac).

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Back