Quantcast
The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up - Page 4
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    Super-dumb question ... passaround? what passaround? I want in! (or maybe it's for more senior members?)
    There are two knives in this batch that will be sent out for pass around. I will have a separate thread for it.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Closing Order List

I won't be taking any new orders until after Christmas. I am aiming to deliver all placed orders in time for Christmas.

Thanks,

M

Awesome! Can't wait to see how these turn out.

WIP - The First Batch

I cut steel from a sheet with an angle grinder, than use a hand-held bandsaw secured in a vice to cut the blanks to a rough shape, and finally profile them on a grinder. I am going to use blanks in the pictures below as templates (much more convenient than using paper). I won't form machi on these.

It looks like I will spend the whole week cutting, profiling, and heat treating.

I measure the length on the edge, so 275mm is actually 290mm gyuto tip to handle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0070.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	1928

Name:	DSC_0071.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	1929

Name:	DSC_0067.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	1925

Name:	DSC_0069.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1927

Name:	DSC_0073.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	1932

[QUOTE=Marko Tsourkan;48274]I cut steel from a sheet with an angle grinder, than use a hand-held bandsaw secured in a vice to cut the blanks to a rough shape, and finally profile them on a grinder. QUOTE]

That just sounds like alot of work! Have fun!

Yes it is. In the future, I am going to consider water-jet or laser cutting, but for now, I am stuck with a sheet of 52100 and a good chunk of W2.

M

Good to see things coming along. Cutting knives out is a lot of work... I tried once.

You've been busy!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I cut steel from a sheet with an angle grinder, than use a hand-held bandsaw secured in a vice to cut the blanks to a rough shape, and finally profile them on a grinder. I am going to use blanks in the pictures below as templates (much more convenient than using paper). I won't form machi on these.

It looks like I will spend the whole week cutting, profiling, and heat treating.

I measure the length on the edge, so 275mm is actually 290mm gyuto tip to handle.

Name:	DSC_0070.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	1928

Name:	DSC_0071.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	1929

Name:	DSC_0067.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	1925

Name:	DSC_0069.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1927

Name:	DSC_0073.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	1932
    Marko, wouldn't it be easier and a lot quicker to use a plasma cutter? would that effect the steel in anyway? I can't imagine they would cost that much to buy and they don't take up that much space. It would have to be cheaper than the initial set up of a water jet job.

I don't own a plasma cutter, but once the profiles are finalized, it makes sense to have them waterjet cut, to cut down on a lengthy step in the process.