The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super-dumb question ... passaround? what passaround? I want in! (or maybe it's for more senior members?)

There are two knives in this batch that will be sent out for pass around. I will have a separate thread for it.

M

I won't be taking any new orders until after Christmas. I am aiming to deliver all placed orders in time for Christmas.

Thanks,

M

I cut steel from a sheet with an angle grinder, than use a hand-held bandsaw secured in a vice to cut the blanks to a rough shape, and finally profile them on a grinder. I am going to use blanks in the pictures below as templates (much more convenient than using paper). I won't form machi on these.

It looks like I will spend the whole week cutting, profiling, and heat treating.

I measure the length on the edge, so 275mm is actually 290mm gyuto tip to handle.

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

I cut steel from a sheet with an angle grinder, than use a hand-held bandsaw secured in a vice to cut the blanks to a rough shape, and finally profile them on a grinder. QUOTE]

That just sounds like alot of work! Have fun!:bladesmith:

Yes it is. In the future, I am going to consider water-jet or laser cutting, but for now, I am stuck with a sheet of 52100 and a good chunk of W2.

M

Good to see things coming along. Cutting knives out is a lot of work... I tried once.

I cut steel from a sheet with an angle grinder, than use a hand-held bandsaw secured in a vice to cut the blanks to a rough shape, and finally profile them on a grinder. I am going to use blanks in the pictures below as templates (much more convenient than using paper). I won't form machi on these.

It looks like I will spend the whole week cutting, profiling, and heat treating.

I measure the length on the edge, so 275mm is actually 290mm gyuto tip to handle.

View attachment 1928

View attachment 1929

View attachment 1925

View attachment 1927

View attachment 1932
Marko, wouldn't it be easier and a lot quicker to use a plasma cutter? would that effect the steel in anyway? I can't imagine they would cost that much to buy and they don't take up that much space. It would have to be cheaper than the initial set up of a water jet job.:scratchhead:

I don't own a plasma cutter, but once the profiles are finalized, it makes sense to have them waterjet cut, to cut down on a lengthy step in the process.

View attachment 1928

View attachment 1929

View attachment 1925

View attachment 1927

View attachment 1932
Marko, wouldn't it be easier and a lot quicker to use a plasma cutter? would that effect the steel in anyway? I can't imagine they would cost that much to buy and they don't take up that much space. It would have to be cheaper than the initial set up of a water jet job.:scratchhead:http://www.everlastgenerators.com/

I don't think a plasma cutter is as easy to master as it seems. I had a neighbor that's a custom knife maker. He cut his knife profiles with a band saw for decades. He finally bought a plasma cutter but after spending about a year, off and on, trying to get use to it he gave up and went back to the band saw.

I don't think a plasma cutter is as easy to master as it seems. I had a neighbor that's a custom knife maker. He cut his knife profiles with a band saw for decades. He finally bought a plasma cutter but after spending about a year, off and on, trying to get use to it he gave up and went back to the band saw.

I used to use mine everyday, if you can follow a line you can use a plasma cutter. literally set the gun on the line, pull the trigger and trace what you want. you just need to get your settings right on gauge thickness and metal.

I have a moratorium on buying new tools. Maybe next year I will give a plasma cutter another look. :(

M

Do you still have two hardness testers? Maybe you could subtract some tools by selling, then buy something else and still technically be 'holding steady'. :)

k.

Though I like to double on things, the second tester has been long bespoken. Just have to figure out how to ship it safely. An industrial quality bandsaw is high on my list of things to get next year, along with a few other tools, but that would depend if I can finance it from making knives.

I also want to move to a larger space above ground (currently the shop is in the basement, so humidity is an issue) so I can set up a woodworking shop. Looking at a space on the top floor in the building I am. It's 2000SF but will require about 10K to convert it into a workspace for metalworking and woodworking shop. It needs insulation, walls/ceiling, leveling floor, and electricity. The last has to be done by a licensed electrician, so that is where most money from my estimate would go. :(

M

It has been a while since I posted in this thread, so here is a little update.

I am almost ready to start working on the orders. The last things (relatively minor) I am trying to improve are minute fit and finish related.

I ground each type of knife that were ordered for practice to familiarize myself with the grind, but also to come up with a good feel for geometry. Here are a couple of pics of the most recent practice knives. I will grind the last knife - a 270mm suji (on the edge) tonight and I think that will be all for practicing.

Pictures below are of of 275mm gyuto (on the edge) ground thin and 180mm gyuto ground normal. Both are shallow convex ground to about .005-.007 on the edge.

I aim to deliver all orders by Christmas (in order they were placed).

I started on modified D (influenced by Bob Kramer) handle. Should be finishing two by Friday. I might also do some modification to an octagonal handle to make it a little bit more pinch-grip friendly. Stay tuned.

Opinions and critique is always welcome.

Thanks,

M

PS: the small gyuto is going to the person who ordered one for a private feedback (mostly about thickness) as he is very found of small knives and his opinion will be very much appreciated.

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

Those grinds look great,nice and thin behind the edge.I would love to see one in person.

Very nice. I see some classics In the making.

How do we know where we are on the list. Am I behind all of Oivind's 8 knives?

k.

Once I begin - Monday next week, I will make a list and post it in the thread. Need to get those modified handles done by then.
Oivind has placed this order way back when, so his will be among first few knives made but I won't begin until I get steel from Devin. Might be a couple of weeks. His are only 4 (2x180, 2x150) this time.

I also need to finalize wood choices, so I see what I need to get.

M

OK, next week I am starting on the orders. These will be done parallel to the last few custom orders for handles and sayas that I have left.

270mm suji. The ironwood handle was a second from a custom order, so it might be a bit too flashy for the knife. Knife is thinly ground, but there is a little flex in the tip area. 3mm thick over the heel.

Had to take pictures in the afternoon with a flash so, didn't come great.

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

"Too flashy"? If you send that one out for a test drive, it'll never comeback . . .

Back