The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking Fantastic Brother........What was your conclusion on your hand finish.

Looking Fantastic Brother........What was your conclusion on your hand finish.

A had to go from 220 grit up so it was a fair amount of work. I brought it up to 600 with 3M paper and now I am waiting for Norton Black Ice to arrive to apply a final finish.

I got to say, I am happier with a hand finish despite extra time it takes, as I didn't have a good luck with a machine finish anyway I tried. Carbon steel like 52100 finished to a higher grit will be less susceptible to discoloring and rusting.

Thanks guys.

I am going to go with 600 Norton over 600 3M and see if it makes a difference. Will also try Black Ice 800 and possibly 1000 following 600.

Sorry for crappy pics - it was already getting dark when I took them. I will retake some and post in gallery tomorrow.

This is for my first female chef customer!

240mm gyuto in 52100 with ironwood D-handle, nickel silver spacer and light color ferrule. Got to admit, cow horn is a different animal (literally!) and requires more care working it. I made some changes from the last handle, and a result is so much better.

What's left is to bring a finish 4 levels up (it's 220 now, and I stop at 800 grit) and to etch a maker's mark.

There are two knives in the orders, so pics of the second are to come.

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

Nice, that ironwood is glowing, even in dim lighting.

I can't believe as fanatical as you are over your knives that you haven't built yourself a light box for your photography so you have full control over your lighting environment.

Marko this is a beautiful knife. I think more than any other photos these bring out the profile you are cutting and grinding best. It screams out to be used and abused in a kitchen.

Marko this is a beautiful knife. I think more than any other photos these bring out the profile you are cutting and grinding best. It screams out to be used and abused in a kitchen.

Also I really like the way you flatten out the ferrule on the d shaped handles. Really looks functionally wise.

Thanks guys -

the ironwood is actually very golden in color, and horn is pretty light, so the pictures don't convey the right colors, but dim light does highlight the profile, handle shape and finish.

M

I can't believe as fanatical as you are over your knives that you haven't built yourself a light box for your photography so you have full control over your lighting environment.

I actually don't like artificial lighting - all my photography is in ambient light.
I also prefer natural materials to artificial (stabilized) :)

M

Back