The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
180mm gyuto in 52100. Horn and Arizona Ironwood handle.

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

Beautiful and classic styling. The spine and choi shots really show your craftsmanship and attention to detail. The grind looks great. This is going to be an awesome knife.

Not mine :) However the owner of this should be really happy.
Great skills shown here Marko :)

Now Im really looking forward to mine :)

No, Oivind is a stalker so I am putting him at the end of a line. :)

That's a very pretty knife . . . I can see how applying the logo might be cause for apprehension.

180mm on the edge, about 195mm tip to handle. I guess, one can consider it little.

Awwww, what a cute little fella.

That's what she said?

And wait a second, what the heck are YOU doing here?! Those who have actually gotten to handle and test one of these bad boys shouldn't be here, taunting us, the hungry masses huddled around our monitors... waiting ... drooling ... lapping up what few photos are proffered here and dreaming of the day when we too will experience a Tsourkan blade. I mean, Frack, dude! You've BEEN to the mother fu*&ing mountaintop! And what? You climb back down just to join the rest of us? Is that it?! Huh?! You just waltz your bless-ed @ss back on down to walk with the under-privileged slobs?!?! Is that how you get your jollies?!?!?! Huh?! HUH?!!?!? Well, you know what?! That's sick, man. Sick! And I just don't have to deal with it. I bid you good DAY sir.

Author's Note: This was nothing more than a bad gag, the product of down-time at work and a twisted sense of humor. Please do not take the preceding post seriously.

Come on guys. Now that I got over my last road block (finish), the road ahead is clear and I am going to pick up a speed. Next are 180mm, and 255 and 240 gyutos. 240mm will feature a modified D handle, similar to Bob Kramer's meiji. Still debating what wood to use but leaning toward premium grade ironwood, metal spacer and blond horn ferrule. Good stuff.

M

All joking aside, the ironwood on the 180mm is stunning.

Why the blond rather than the black? I think the reason I like your handles so much is that they tend to be gorgeous, but slightly understated. I'm curious if the blond would draw the attention more towards the handle and from away the blade or the knife as a whole.

All joking aside, the ironwood on the 180mm is stunning.

Why the blond rather than the black? I think the reason I like your handles so much is that they tend to be gorgeous, but slightly understated. I'm curious if the blond would draw the attention more towards the handle and from away the blade or the knife as a whole.

I find a combination of blond horn with golden burl ironwood practically irresistible, but black horn would work just as well. For a classic look, I prefer ebony, black horn, and metal spacer. I am still very found of it, but I do branch out a little bit.

Here are examples.

DSC_1829.jpg

DSC_1828.jpg

Alright, yeah. Wow. That's a sexy handle. I still think that without the KU damascus thing going on with the blade, it might be too flashy. But that combo is amazing.

Alright, yeah. Wow. That's a sexy handle. I still think that without the KU damascus thing going on with the blade, it might be too flashy. But that combo is amazing.

Well, Ben, I think might be right. I will use ebony wood instead. I save the blond horn/golden burl ironwood combination for damascus.

Regular damascus patterns don't do a whole lot for me. They're kinda pretty, and I don't mind them, but they don't move me. The KU damascus, though? Mmmmmmmmmmm :)

Actually, the KU damascus is not that different than many random pattern damascus that are deep etched. If one was grind a blade similarly (like a double edged yanagi), one could have obtained a similar look.

M

I'll have to keep that in mind for custom orders in the future ;)

I didn't imply that, it was just my observation that if you etch your blade enough, it will develop rough surface similar to kuro uchi. So the way to replicate that, would be to pregrind, etch, and then grind the bevels.

M

255mm on the edge, 270+mm tip to handle. 227g. 52100. Arizona Desert ironwood with black buffalo horn and metal spacer. Hand-finished.

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

Those are some super fine lookin' pig stickers, sir!!!:doublethumbsup:

I said it before, I don't know if Marko's photography is that much better than most, or he just makes the cleanest, most beautiful WA handles out there. His saya designs are my favorite no doubt ... but man I am almost ashamed I don't have a handled knife from you Marko. I know your blades will be on point and given a couple years named with the established makers because of the detail and work you put into everything you do.

Regards

Bryan

Back