The Moment Has Come - First Batch WIP Coming Up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Too flashy"? If you send that one out for a test drive, it'll never comeback . . .

Haha, that was one of the nicest ironwood pieces I have seen. Luckily, I had enough for a substitute.

Forgot to mention that steel is 52100. Weight - 191g.

M

Wait... that was a second?! :jawdrop:

So yeah, next time you ever have a second, just give me a ring alright. I'll "dispose" of it no problem! Shouldn't be surprised, I guess, given the quality of the "second" cutting board I have of yours.

Yes it was. I didn't realized there was a thickness variation in a tang and when I friction fitted the handle a knife, the ferrule on the handle partially cracked. I filled the crack with CA glue and refinished the handle, but it's still a second. :(

M

Ouch. That hurts. Glad you still had enough on that block for another. Oh, and for the record, I still think it's a beautiful handle even if it is a second!

Oh, and that blade ain't bad either :wink:

Yeah. I'll take one, too. :hungry:

Is that really the last practice knife? I didn't make the list? I'd like to pick one, too. Or two actually. Both those gyutos for me, please :rofl2:

Careful who you say come on over and pick one to Marko. I'm thinking about a road trip to Boston in the fall, it's not that far out of the way to come for a nice knife...

It's official now, as I am about to post a list of orders I will work on this week. :)

M

excellent_the_post_of_reposts-s438x438-231285.jpg

I test every blade for hardness. Target hardness 62RC. I do 3-5 tests on a blade, and then average the number. Each of these knives averaged 62.25RC.

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

I also did a destruction testing on a piece heat treated to the same specs, and the grain under 20x loupe looked pretty good - small and uniform. Now, grind, put on a handle, set an edge and up to a rope cutting test.

M

attachment.php

This is one of the suji's from the picture above. It' s probably the thinnest suji I have ground to date. Thickness at the edge is .005. Blade is symmetrically ground (blade is tilted to the right in picture 3), shallow convex. 3mm at the handle, 2.75mm over the heel, 1. 75mm in the middle, ~1mm 50mm from the tip.

Once I finish a handle and a saya for it, I will post it in the gallery.

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

Also, heat treated a knife in W2 with hamon. I think it came out OK. Will measure hardness and etch to see hamon figure. Will post pics tomorrow.

M

Looking Good. I feel .005 is where you need to be if you want to go from the grinder to a 1k stone,which I do:thumbsup:

That edge looks surprisingly nice and even. Sounds very nice!:thumbsup: When do we get to see it complete? :scratchhead::poke1:

Tomorrow morning. Saya done, handle will be finished today. Then what's left is just to etch my name.

Latest posts

Back