2013 West Coast Gathering

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm dying to know what you find. The stainless ones that Jon brought were WICKED thin behind the edge, moreso than the knives we all got to try out and those were fantastic cutters.

Picked it up from the post office today, but did not get home until 9, so no playing with it tonight. As always, it was accompanied a nice note from Sara. I will have to get a bunch of veggies for this weekend to try it out. Sent a knife out to knyfeknerd for PIF that I have not been using, so one in one out.

Just a couple initial thoughts on it. First, it is a very attractive knife. I will try to catch it on camera, but I seem to suck at photography, so we will have to see how it turns out. The two tone handle works well together, and love the way the light reflects off the different textures on the blade. The other was the size. I am use to westerns, so the blade length is different. And I am use to my ITK for height, and did not realize it is actually longer than 240. It has good knuckle clearance, however, and feels like it should be very nimble to use. As TK mentioned, it seems very thin behind the edge.

I will have to see how it cuts this weekend, but I am sure I will be very happy with the purchase.

REALLY?!! 9 pm and you aren't cutting anything?! You're killin' me! :knife:

Plan on making a big pot of chicken soup on Saturday to let me cut a bunch of different types of veggies. Probably get a decent amount of extra to play with. You know, to support the farmers.

I do keep handling it, testing balance, etc. Definitely a blade forward balance using a normal pinch grip, which I like. Very comfortable in the hand.

Listen, I live in newport beach. Don't make me steal it and take it to work tomorrow to use next to my 270 blue kiritsuke shape gyuto...

-Chuck

Haha... just saying I can test it for you until you finally get around to using it. haha Let me know your thoughts on the knife tomorrow! Excited to hear another opinion. Which knife and size did you get?

-Chuck

Didn't Jon just have the 240 size in stock?

It is the 240. Just to be clear on before, it is a bit smaller than I thought it would be, due to being use to westerns and the higher/bigger DT ITK and others.

That being said, this thing cuts like a dream. Fell through anything I cut this morning: carrots, celery, green onions, potatoes, and cauliflower for the soup. Seemed a bit sticky the other night on the cucumber, but pretty normal this morning for what I am use to, maybe on the side of better release. Very nimble, no problem with knuckle clearance. Not really qualified to do a full review in detail, but first reaction is liking this knife a lot. OOTB edge is all I am using for a bit, no stropping or sharpening for quite a while based on this morning.
View attachment 17865
View attachment 17866
View attachment 17867
View attachment 17868

Photos didn't work. Glad you liked it so far! I have been using mine at work every day since I got it.

-Chuck

I don't see the pics either. I would like to know what knives you might compare it to in terms of edge retention and food release, what kind of board you are using and whether you tend to do a lot of board striking while you're cutting. Thanks! edit: Those new pics work great!

I would like to clearly state that I am a home, light user so edge retention type questions I will leave to others in a more intensive environment. I probably sharpen too much even as infrequently as I sharpen my own (sharpen others more often)

As I mentioned that I am probably not qualified to do an in-depth review, but in comparison my main knife is a DT ITK 240mm AEL-B with petty companion, also use a Fowler gyuto (too flat for me, but makes a great slicer for flank steak, etc.), kono 270 white #2 (just gave to knifenerd to PIF), Tojiro 270 powered steel (first "real" knife). Of course others, a few paring, torijo bread knife and boning knife, others.

Still waiting on a Marko and a Mario which should give me a good comparison on release.

As far as boards to, have a Boardsmith for large volume stuff, and for small things I use epicurean composites....try not to hit the board that hard too often.

Nah. You're fine. I'm just hot under the collar to get one of these. I'm looking forward to any additional info/impressions you're willing to supply. :thumbsup:

Back