2013 West Coast Gathering

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mike for hosting WCG again this year. It was a great time!

ecg has better knives; wcg has better food.... looks like a good time and the food seriously looks great.

Haha, better knives.... Whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night....

Michael, thanks again for hosting. It was great to see everyone again.

-Chuck

yeah... there were kramers, burkes, devins, etc. as well as a bunch of great japanese knives. I think we had that part covered well.

Oh yeah....well we had Mari and Vincent....and Rick...and maybe a Gesshin, I'm not sure. I don't sleep well. You all look so cool and west-coasty. Someday there should be an international conference for KKF.

Jon - those are some of the new line? The ones were you blush on the video? They look like very cool knives.

Sounds like we need a mid-west gathering to me.....

yeah... we had some of the new line there... i have my personal one and also one of the other people had a 270mm blue #1 kiritsuke-shaped wa-gyuto

Knives... Everyone should cut with a Gesshin Kagekiyo. Amazing cutters those. I can't wait to hear how they hold up to some hard use. I wasn't sold on the handles at first but now, I must have one. That said, there were a lot of knife rolls but not that many came out. I, myself, brought over a dozen but only two made it out. I didn't want to produce so much waste but next time, I'm bringing a case of sacrificial big-a$$ onions and potatoes then as for forgiveness.

I had a great time hanging out with the crew yesterday.
Thanks again Michael!

Oh and big thanks to Michael for hosting again! (I hope you enjoy the olives! My daughter just reamed me for forgetting them.) :O

Knives... Everyone should cut with a Gesshin Kagekiyo. Amazing cutters those. I can't wait to hear how they hold up to some hard use. I wasn't sold on the handles at first but now, I must have one. That said, there were a lot of knife rolls but not that many came out. I, myself, brought over a dozen but only two made it out. I didn't want to produce so much waste but next time, I'm bringing a case of sacrificial big-a$$ onions and potatoes then as for forgiveness.

Just ask. I had a five pound bag of potatoes that I would have been to offer to be sacrificed to the Kagekiyo.

And, sorry for the small onions. I'll look for extra large ones next time. ;)

Oh and big thanks to Michael for hosting again! (I hope you enjoy the olives! My daughter just reamed me for forgetting them.) :O

Shall I mail them down to you?

. . . and the pork was even better this year ;)

That's the most important thing that mattered! :justkidding:

I was glad to see everyone again and to have been able to host it again this year. Thank you all for being, first and foremost, generous guests.

And, that Kagekiyo? Yeah. It's kind of awesome.

I missed the gathering for a coworkers wedding, but due to the high praise I ordered a Kagekiyo (stainless) to try out. Will let you know what I think.
I'm dying to know what you find. The stainless ones that Jon brought were WICKED thin behind the edge, moreso than the knives we all got to try out and those were fantastic cutters.

i have never seen TK gush before.lol

He used 2 seperate knives with some time in between. The second one was Jon's. After about 5 slices into an onion he just stopped, wiped the knife off, set it down and said something about needing one... The knife is pretty damn crazy. Already planning on a second one for myself.

-Chuck

Thank YOU for bringing so many interesting beers!

It was my pleasure.

@Chuck
I used your Kagekiyo on half an onion and knew right away that I wanted one.
In the past I've never really been drawn to kiritsuke shaped gyutos but the way this one has shinogi lines and is beveled from the spine down to the tip looks absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing

I just tried the Kagekiyo 270 kirisuke-ish gyuto the other day. Really an amazing knife. It will be interesting to see if you will be able to keep them in stock Jon.

I thought I wanted the blue 240 gyuto, but looking at them side by side on the table, I think I want the ginsanko. Looking at the photos on JKI I like the blue, any opinions on someone who has used both as to what they enjoy? I keep hearing they slice onions very nice. I don't need a stainless knife, just a nice cutting knife, and they seem to have slightly different profiles.

i have never seen TK gush before.lol
That's because I generally don't, lol. Last time I felt this way about a knife was the Gengetsu line and I like the profile on these guys even better. I really want to cut with these two lines side-by-side and check out which cuts better but I'm almost certain that these new knives are a touch nicer to use.

Back