240 gyuto prebuy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok,
Most of the O-1 blades are done and either shipped or will ship tomorrow(1 left to do) now its time to do the stainless blades.
This is what I was waiting for, some extreme cold in a bottle. :viking:
So, I will be spending the next few days heat treating the stainless blades.
Del

dewar.jpg

I am now near the end of the heat treating process. With heat treating this many blades it has taken a bit more time that I had originally planned for. This is also my first time using the liquid nitrogen, and although it did go smoothly, freezing the blades does add a lot of time to the process.
Thanks,
Del

If I had liquid nitrogen, I don't think I could get any work done. That stuff and dry ice entertain me like a kid in a candy store! something about super chilly stuff that puts out fog fascinates me!

So when I first started working with AEBL, I had the heat treat temps and it was fairly straightforward to heat it up, air quench, and then temper. It was easier than heat treating O-1. And the steel was easier to grind than the hardened O-1, by ALOT. So I had one of these rockwell tested and it came out at Rc58, and I thought, oh crap that explains why it was so easy to grind. I knew my temps were fine, but it needed something more. So I started oil queching the blades to quench them a little faster and after a snap temper I froze the blades in -300f degree liquid nitrogen. Then they went through several tempering cycles and i am working on grinding the blades now.
The oil quench pushes the transformation a bit faster than air or plate quenching, and the freezing finishes the transformation, so that as much hardness as possible can be gotten out of the steel. With steels with more carbon getting above Rc62 is not an issue even without the freezing, but since AEBL on has .06% it needs that extra push. I have not completed my final rockwell testing, but after grinding several blades I know they are much harder.
With simple carbon steels the martensite transformation finishing point is in the room temperature range, but in higher alloy steels that transformation point can be well below the freezing point, so for total transformation you need to get the steel to that point in order to completely tranform the structure of the steel to martensite(the hard stuff we really want).
I was grinding blades yesterday and I will be doing more today. I also did an interesting test that I will post a pic of later along with some pics of the blades.
Thanks,
Del

Sorry Tinh, I guess I was feeling off this morning. A snap temper is a quick tempering cycle at the low end of the temps to relieve stress before the freeze and is shorter than a usual temper cycle. Its a quick temper, I was thinking of snapping your fingers, quick. I guess I am the one who is snapped.
Del

They look surprisingly (at least to me) consistent, Del. Very nice. :)

They look surprisingly (at least to me) consistent, Del. Very nice. :)

Thanks, one of the things that professional cooking and professional knifemaking have in common is consistancy(once you get all the bugs worked out).
Del

Just wanted to stop by and say that I'm really enjoying my #4 so far - I love the height, the handle, the way it feels as it cuts things. It's really great!

The second batch looks like it's coming along nicely too!

Hand sanding blades now, I have 1 done, as soon as i have 3 I'll put handles on them and you will see more finished knives.
Thanks,
Del

...Also, an idiot i know bought a F.Dick Jubilee french style chefs knife and he is trying to argue that his knife will be way better than the one your making for me, I cant wait to rub it in his face :tooth:!!

http://www.125west.com/p-7524-fdick-1778-jubilee-chefs-knife.aspx
Maybe it is. I've never heard of DoubleXVG steel and I've never used an FDick knife. You should have a face-off. I would be happy to offer myself as an unbiased party for comparison. :D

Progress, the first 3 of the AEB-L gyutos finished. :viking:
Better pics tomorrow, have to clean off the bench to get better pics.
Del

aeblgroup.jpg

Those are looking great Del!!!!:thumbsup:

I wish I could have participated in this group buy. With all the work you put into getting your grind just right I bet these knives will be great performers. Beautiful work Del.

Sorry these are a bit late, I had a senior moment :brainfart: earlier having the knives mostly packaged before I realized I still had pics to take.
Del

prebuy1.jpg

prebuy1-2.jpg

p6.jpg

p6-2.jpg

p10.jpg

p10-2.jpg

Del -- while the balde profiles are a bit more low-slung then you originally rolled out, these knives are readily identifiable as yours. It really looks like you knocked it out of the park!

Del is producing beautiful knives, and just today I was admiring mine again as I oiled up the handle :)

k.

Almost wish I had went with carbon so I would have it already! The wait is killing me! :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Joking! Take as much time as needed, I'll just look at these other ones and drool! :drool::drool::drool:

Latest posts

Back