Available soon, two sujihiki 270mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice,hope round two works better. (Although round 1 looked pretty good from where I am at)

I'm really loving this image essay, Devin. Thanks for sharing!

Hoss, It isn't just your stainless. I have had the same issues with Damasteel. Not sure where the issue would be...

That doesn't look bad to me. :scratchhead:

What if the blade was finished and no etching?
I am probably wrong but wouldn't the pattern show subtly.

I may do that. Most likely I'll regrind this into a smaller blade and etch, should be fine.

Hoss

Heat treat foil after heat treating the new blade

Inner ferrule

spacer material with black layers glued to the out side

Hoss

003.jpg

002.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

Amazing process, thanks so much for sharing!

I think it's to help keep oxygen away from areas you don't want it (inside). That way you don't get internal pitting/weakness. But, I could also be wrong. I have asked so many questions that I'm now getting the answers all confused. Haha. Although, Matt, you might be right...maybe it ensures more even heating, which allows everything to "mix" properly.

It keeps the carbon from burning off. Oxygen steels carbon.

The foil keeps the steel from oxidizing at high temperature. The oxygen can combine with the carbon at the surface of the steel to form CO and CO2 and cause some decarburization. Oxides also form which are ugly and very hard.

It protects the steel while at the hardening temperature.

Hoss

Yeah, what they said. :) I was close...

Looking forward to the next round of photos.
Thank You for what you have posted so far.
I am enjoying watching the progression of the knife.

Thanks Mark, back at it today. I had to rescue my daughter's car that broke down 100 miles from home.

Hoss

This may be my favorite thread on the interweb.

More handle making.

I'm not sure why the photos come out in order sometimes and sometimes in reverse.

Hoss

019.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

027.JPG

034.JPG

Devin, nice handle WIP pics. Do you ever consider use exotic materials(Mammoth ivory, Musk Ox horn..etc) on your knives' handle?

This one has Mammoth ivory spacers. I have some Musk Ox horn and have used it. I've never used Mammoth tooth.

Hoss

No forking way this handle will ever come apart.
Thanks for the photos Devin.

Getting closer. I don't know why this thing rearranges my photos.

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

Holy ****...I want one of those sujis, such awesome work.

Three of my favorite materials:thumbsup::thumbsup: Stunning..........How does the K&G epoxy hold up to heat?

Latest posts

Back