Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a cleaver spree here, Sugimoto OMS No.6, lovely handle and nice shealth. The grind is kind typical Japanese Chuka oval grind, almost S grind, edge is thin with good convexity, tho the grind is not as deep as Sakai Kikumori or Tsubaya, I will test to see which one I like more.
Is that a faux shinogi?

Sugimoto is priced really great on Amazon. Seems worth it. And the profile looks perfect definitely not too curvy for me
I will say, the ones on Amazon don’t always match the picture, you can get one with a lot of curve in the profile. Unfortunately you can’t really ask them for pics like a normal retailer.

@blokey is yours off Amazon?

Swapped out the stock handle on the new Manaka for a temporary one I had laying around. Huge improvement for minimal change. Thinking about what kind of custom to make for long term.

I don't know why they decided to use a thin gyuto handle for such a cool cleaver.

PXL_20231117_214122509.jpg

Got it from Hocho, didn’t see OMS on Amazon
I had some money on an Amazon gift card so I picked up an OMS 7. Profile turned out more curved towards the front than in the picture. Grind was super thin though, much too thin for a #7. I’ve had like 7 Sugimotos and that OMS 7 was weirdly the thinnest BTE.

I had some money on an Amazon gift card so I picked up an OMS 7. Profile turned out more curved towards the front than in the picture. Grind was super thin though, much too thin for a #7. I’ve had like 7 Sugimotos and that OMS 7 was weirdly the thinnest BTE.
I’d like to see a pic of this. I’m surprised to hear there would be much inconsistency in profile.

I’d like to see a pic of this. I’m surprised to hear there would be much inconsistency in profile.
1700275641212-jpeg.282860

I did some slight reprofiling but here it is. Not super duper curvy, just more curved up front. Very good push cutter. It’s not exactly an inconsistency, just different from how the stock pics look.

Here is another OMS 7 from a BST thread a couple years ago, similar upsweep.
1700275994177.jpeg

Here’s the choil from mine too, way too thin to chop small chicken bones which a #7 should hypothetically be able to do.
1700276339299.jpeg

Attachments

• 1700275641212.jpeg
    1700275641212.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 337
1700275641212-jpeg.282860

I did some slight reprofiling but here it is. Not super duper curvy, just more curved up front. Very good push cutter. It’s not exactly an inconsistency, just different from how the stock pics look.

Here is another OMS 7 from a BST thread a couple years ago, similar upsweep.
View attachment 282861

Here’s the choil from mine too, way too thin to chop small chicken bones which a #7 should hypothetically be able to do.
View attachment 282862
That’s thinner than the no.6, looks good

?
So what does that mean? Yours is curvy and a second example from 2 years ago is also curvy.
Do they more often than not match stock photos?
Sorry, meant to say they don’t seem “inconsistent” as in inconsistent from knife to knife, but they don’t exactly match the stock photos which generally show a more gentle curve to almost flattish profile.

Thank you very much for all of your replies, I finally bought the CCK KF1930 due to the thinner blade and „more fun to use“, as @Chun stated in his answer. Have not received it yet and can hardly wait to try the first cuttings with my new toy.

@Chasingsharpness: I do have some experiences with Chinese Clever/Slicers. That’s why I chose the relatively small blades, they suit me best.

@Chun: I found it extremely helpful reading your experience with both brands and it finally made me buy the CCK.

Thank you once again and have a nice weekend
Michael

Question for everyone, what is your favourite cleaver to sharpen?

Considering steel, dimensions, weight, balance and ergonomics.

Back