D. Martell Butcher Knife Set - KKF Member Project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats not bad, the thin tip would let you clean silver skin and other small work.

That knife looks like it has been sharpened down a bit but I have been using the exact same model Dexter for maybe 25-30 years for beef, deer and elk butchering. It has worked find for me. Given large animal processing is something I only do a very few times a year, there hasn't been much reason to look for anything fancier.

Dave, I want an obscenely massive scimitar!!!!

i have an obscenly massive scimitar and yet want another one...ryan

We have already spoke about this Dave, but I thought I would throw my thoughts out -
Is the goal here to create a set of knives to really disassemble a carcass? Or are we creating a homage to this style of cutlery that has a practical use for the average (whatever that is) member?

If the latter, I really want a gently curving scimitar at no more than 8 inches of cutting length, mostly for trimming my briskets and clods, breaking down pork shoulders ect.. I will not be working from a rail on a hanging carcasses with this knife.

If it's the former, then thats all good also, I would just prefer a knife I actually have a use for.

So in all seriousness, this is something that will materialize, right? And if this is serious...what is an approximate time frame? 1 year? I know it has only been talked about for a little over a month, and Dave's plate is already heaping, but I think this is a really neat idea. Not that I don't like new gyuto's, but I already have too many of them. Just trying to get an idea of when to start saving the green.:moonwalk:

I wasn't sure at first but I'm really starting to think that this is do-able. I'm sure it's not a huge market but why not do something different, could be fun? :)

We have already spoke about this Dave, but I thought I would throw my thoughts out -
Is the goal here to create a set of knives to really disassemble a carcass? Or are we creating a homage to this style of cutlery that has a practical use for the average (whatever that is) member?

If the latter, I really want a gently curving scimitar at no more than 8 inches of cutting length, mostly for trimming my briskets and clods, breaking down pork shoulders ect.. I will not be working from a rail on a hanging carcasses with this knife.

If it's the former, then thats all good also, I would just prefer a knife I actually have a use for.

I dont think the goal was ever to create a set to break down a full steer. Frankly, I am not sure what that requires. If these work for that, then great. I think the goal was to make some knives that are traditionally western and hard to find manufactured with quality steel. At least for pro's, having a western boning knife and scimitar not made out of soft german steel would be great. I deal for me would be something like a ~7" boning knife, 10-12" scimitar.

Dave is this going down or what? I need some Dave steel for the box

All I need to do is to get some drawings and then see what you guys think and then it can happen just like that. :)

OK here's what I'm narrowing it down to based on what's been expressed here as well as what I think is feasible to do to start off with....

1. Small butcher knife (clip point) - 5"-7" blade

2. Large butcher knife (clip point) - 12" blade

3. Small Scimitar - 5"-7" blade

4. Long Scimitar - 12"-14" blade

5. Western boning knife 5"-7" blade

I'm thinking of picking 2 to 3 of these choices for the first round. Carbon steel of course. :)

Last edited:
You have two #3's.

Renumbering them, I vote #5 (7"), and either a #2 or #4 (12")

yea dave you can put me down for a number 4, hahahaha I can see the animals and primals weeping at the sight

I want a #2, #1 is too short for me. If #2 doesn't happen I'd go with a #4 as a second choice. To me the #2 just seems to be an All-American kind of butcher's knife. Then dress it up with a nice ironwood or cobo handle.

Ironwood is usually pricey, but you can get cocobolo at some good prices.

Would octagonal wa handles be weird on these?

Just to let you all know that I'm doing this as soon as I get started on the gyutos and sujihikis. I'm not sure if I will make a boatload of these types of knives but I will try to make what is requested. Thanks for the input guys, it's extremely valuable. :thumbsup:

Dave, I'm most interested in a #4 and #5 with a matching rustic leather roll from www.leather-worker.com, if possible.

Then, I can pretend I'm Bill the Butcher.

I can do better then that, this ones a year old, my skills are even better now.
70a6f97e.png

I can do better then that, this ones a year old, my skills are even better now.
70a6f97e.png

I love it!!!

BTW, I just scored my first Beatty cleaver (a #1) off EBay last week for a very reasonable $30.

There's also a straight butcher knife:

Which looks exactly like a French butcher knife, or a Swiss butcher knife, or...

There was really nothing that Dario did with that knife that you couldn't do with a gyuto, or sujihiki, or even a machete.

I don't know if there are too many people that still break 158 primals, especially at home.

Latest posts

Back