CPM-D2 Gyuto Pass-Around (Proposal)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With this 1 little trick, you can give your favorite knife maker a mini heart attack.

PXL_20240216_183133375.MP.jpg

Time to leave my review. Was able to use it for longer than I should have 👀

Everything felt good in hand. Balance was good. No sharp edges or corners. Handle was well done.

Profile is nice. Definitely reminds me of a Sabatier. Not to much belly, while not being overly flat. Tip flew through onions, rest of the knife went through onions very good. Decent food release. Overall, it handled everything I used it on well. The steel was nice also. I used Shapton Glass stones and it was easy to sharpen.

I did touch up the edge initially on a Shapton Glass 4k. That went pretty easy. Used the knife for a bit. Then went to the Shapton Glass 500 and sharpened at the lowest angle I could hold, followed by Shapton Glass 4k. Afterwards, the edge was even better! The edge held up, no microchipping or edge folding over. Edge stability at a low angle was really great!

Overall, I liked the knife. If I were to make any changes, I'd go for a longer length and a slightly wider spine at the pinch grip. But that's all something that's more of personal preference.

Thanks @MSicardCutlery for letting me participate. I enjoyed your work and can definitely recommend some CPM-D2 steel.

Last edited:
I liked the knife a lot. Specifically, the profile works very well for me and the balance is excellent. The knife is comfortable to hold due to thickness by the handle and choil area. The knife cuts well. If I kept the knife I think I would thin it a little behind the edge as my other knives from Matt are thinner in that area. Even so the knife cuts well with good food release for this type of grind. I'd call it a nice midweight. For me the handle is a bit too long, but that's personal preference and I like slightly shorter handles. I would also most likely want a little shorter neck or not, haven't really made up my mind on this. All and all a good knife with a really nice profile.

Last edited:
Knife arrived with me today safe and sound. I should note, there are some very small black spots sprinkled here and there on both sides of the blade face. I don't think they're anything of concern, but wanted to call them out none the less.

This makes a nice first impression overall and I love the profile. The stout spine stays fairly consistent for much of the length before a nice taper to a solidly thin tip. It's a different animal overall, but that aspect feels rather reminiscent of a Xerxes workhorse I have. The spine and choil areas are not polished, but nicely rounded and very comfortable. As others have noted, it could be thinner behind the edge, but it is plenty thin enough without feeling like you need to baby it on the board. I only made some deviled eggs before the basketball game, so I did a few quick cuts on a sweet potato and a large carrot. Certainly not enough to form any significant opinions, but enough to make me look forward to really putting it to work this week.

1000000499.jpg
1000000498.jpg
1000000497.jpg

Apologies for the delay, life and work have been a bit crazy. The knife was shipped earlier this week to @timebard and I'll try and circle back to share more details shortly.

In the mean time... Matt, I'm glad they accidentally sent you thicker stock than originally planned. I was especially looking forward to trying this profile in your work. I got 3 real meal preps in and a handful of smaller uses in-between. I didn't have any moments that blew me away in any particular use case (that's not a negative, read on), IMO sometimes knives that are amazing in one way, can sacrifice a fair bit in other areas in a way this one does not.
I compared it to several knives including a Dalman HSS1, and a couple Eddworks. I had designs on side by side comparison with a couple others, but the bottom line was that I never felt a need to transition to anything else aside from cutting a bunch of citrus which I didn't want to put a semi-stainless that I don't own through. It's not as thin as some others, which Matt called out as being done for a knife intended for a pass around. That said it really performed well all around. I never had to baby it, but it never left me feeling like I wanted something different for the task. I really enjoyed the profile, the nice gradual distal taper, and heft without feeling like I lost nimbleness. This is a nicely finished and really practical all around knife that was just plain fun to use. I'd would love this exact knife build, the only thing I'd change would be to a favorite steel like 52100 or maybe to try another knife in Magnacut.

@MSicardCutlery Great ****ing all around knife. Once I finish my current round of customs I want as close to this same blade as possible. Thanks for the chance to participate.

Last edited:
Arrived with me today in good shape. First impressions - nice proportions, more substantial spine than the last MSicard passaround, good taper and forward balance, a liiiittle thick behind the edge but solid grind once it gets going. Just tested it dicing an onion but looking forward to some more extensive use.

Back