De Buyer Pans

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No warping problem on my Standard blue deBuyer. That being said the Bourgeat does feel more solid and is thicker.

I haven't used them, but saw that Lodge released a line of pre-seasoned carbon steel pans not too long ago that are made in the USA.

I haven't used them, but saw that Lodge released a line of pre-seasoned carbon steel pans not too long ago that are made in the USA.

The Lodge are pretty terrible. Maybe 2mm at the thickest.

Love my De Buyer carbon pans. Never use cast iron pans any more. As someone said earlier, they're not for eveything. I still have a couple of SS and a ScanPan NS that also get regular use. There's no such thing as the perfect pan, and these have a niche for things like searing, saute, etc. Not so good for things like steaming and dishes that have a suace with an acid in them, like a tomato based ragu or pasta. 3mm steel and mo issues w/ warping.

I have these pans w/ cast iron handles - more expensive than the strip steel handles, but worth it to me. If you leave the pan on the haet for a long time the handles will get hot.
http://www.lacuisineus.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_11

If you not concerned about the handles, this site has wholesale prices.
http://www.capitalcityrestaurantsup...399,L,Eurodib USA > Professional Cookware,MX1

Have you purchased those pans from Capital City? If so, do you know if they're the Carbone Plus or Mineral line?

You can get the three-pan Mineral fry pan set (8", 10", 12") for $149.95 with free shipping from Chefs.com. Add the 10" Mineral Country saute pan ($69.95) and you can get $25 off the entire order ($25 off $200 or more), or $195 for all four pans.

Interesting deal.

I am really frustrated right now. A couple months ago I ran across a blog through oiu, chef that the individual identified differences between the different lines of pans and the thicknesses of each line. I believe that the carbonne plus was the thickest followed by the mineral and the force blue. However, over the last few days I have tried to reaccess it to get a link and it is telling me that the site is under maintenance. I am considering getting the mineral 10" since any heavy searing I use cast iron.

The Debuyer web site (www.debuyer.com) has the information on the different lines. It's not the most friendly site, but the information is there. Go to www.debuyer.com, click on "catalogue" and then select "steel". You can then select the line you're considering. (Hint--there will be pictures at the bottom of the page--click on the picture to get information on that pan type.) It lists all the dimensions of the pans, including thickness, gives weights, etc.

Yeah, I did that earlier to find out which line La Cuisine is selling that has "cast handles." I can't seem to find any info about them anywhere. FWIW I ordered a 12" Minerale B Element crepe pan for my mom from Amazon this evening. I'll probably get one for myself before long.

Lucretia is right - just go to their website and play around a bit...

Capital City sells the Carbone Plus pans. The 5110 are round steel pans - 18cm-14 cm are 2.5mm, 26cm-50cm are 3mm; 5111 are oval steel 2.5mm & 3mm; 5120 are pancake pans 2.5mm. the round country pan in blue steel 2mm is the Force Blue. The grill pan in Carbone Plus in 2.5mm.
They also sell a few copper models.

La Cuisine sells the Carbone Plus 5910 pans with cast iron handles - 20cm-24cm pans are 2.5mm, 28cm-50cm pans are 3mm. They ahev pancake/crepe pans too. They've added sizes that they carry in the past year.

I downloaded the De Buyer PDF catalog in 2010 and that has more products in it than the website. I think that's where I first saw the 5910 cast iron handle model. I e-mailed De Buyer as to where to find that model in the US, and they responded w/ La Cuisine's website. I inquired w/ Capital City to see if they could get the 5910 series and they can't. It appears th current PDF catalog doesn't have the 5910 series listed. too bad...

This back of the house thred is going to lighten my wallet!At home now I'm using a Circulon 12",I'm not a big fan of nonstick pans,but the Cir. works well esp. cooking fish wt< or no oil.Macy's had a sale & I picked it up for 50.00.

I have used carbon steel knives at work many yrs.,also at home.Would like to get a good De Buyer for home use.Do you season these pans?I like the larger pans wt. handle for cooking curries etc..Use alot of garlic,onions & ginger.

This is not for heavy duty industry use.Just home cooking for 3-4 people.Any suggestions for me & where to get it?

If the pan starts out at 2.6 mm buy the time it is squished into shape the rim will be quite a bit thinner.

Well I just ordered my first De Buyer pan the largest mineral-B 14.2,That should be big enough for most of my cooking,I have a good copper bottom stew pot for larger needs.Deff. looking forward to cooking in this pan.

Picked up my 7.9" frying and 12" crepiere (both Mineral B Element) today. The instructions for seasoning are pretty clear: clean off the beeswax well (I'll probably use BKF followed by baking soda and a thorough drying), add just enough fat to coat the bottom (they advise 1 mm&#8203;), heat to the smoke point, dump, wipe, put away.

Yeh kind of like a carbon knife,once patina ready to go.I have seasoned heavy cast iron pans.The De Buyer is larger lighter & better steel than my old 10" cast iron.

Love my De Buyer carbon pans. Never use cast iron pans any more. As someone said earlier, they're not for eveything. I still have a couple of SS and a ScanPan NS that also get regular use. There's no such thing as the perfect pan, and these have a niche for things like searing, saute, etc. Not so good for things like steaming and dishes that have a suace with an acid in them, like a tomato based ragu or pasta.

Can you ever get them seasoned to the point you can make acidic sauces without ruining the seasoning? If not, what do you use when making that marinara? The All-Clads or some nonstick?

Love my De Buyer carbon pans. Never use cast iron pans any more. As someone said earlier, they're not for eveything. I still have a couple of SS and a ScanPan NS that also get regular use. There's no such thing as the perfect pan, and these have a niche for things like searing, saute, etc. Not so good for things like steaming and dishes that have a suace with an acid in them, like a tomato based ragu or pasta.

Can you ever get them seasoned to the point you can make acidic sauces without ruining the seasoning? If not, what do you use when making that marinara? The All-Clads or some nonstick?

Enamel coated LeCreuset

FWIW, this is the 7.9" Mineral B Element after BKF scrub, baking soda neutralizer and a first seasoning with about a tablespoon of Pompeian grape seed oil. As instructed, heated until smoking, dumped and wiped out. Next, fried up a couple of breakfast sausage links and they browned nicely. The brown bits in the pan rinsed out easily. Excuse crappy phone cam pic...

DSC_0054.jpg

I'm not a patina or season queen. Folks that are really into seasoning their pans would probably be very unimpressed with my pans. I just heat them up, splash in some oil when their hot, and go to town. When it comes time to clean them, I use hot water and a tiny bit of soap and only enough scrubbing on the cooking surface to get them clean; I scrub down the sides, rivets, handles, outer surface, etc. very thoroughly. For the most part, they're very non-stick when used properly.

After saying that, to answer your question, to me it's not an issue of seasoning the pan to be able to cook acidic foods, or ruining the seasoning. You'll never get an even coating all along the cooking surface and up the inside of the pan. It's about the acidic substance coming into contact with the steel and the dish developing off flavors and odors. Some dishes/sauces with a few tomatoes is fine, but something like a gastrique, no way. For that I use SS All-Clad or Viking. I use NS as little as possible.

Just a heads up to anyone looking to take one of these for a test drive, I got a Tuesday Morning flyer in the mail last week that features DeBuyer Mineral pans on sale between $20-$30 for 8-10" pans. I haven't checked the local stores to see what they have, but that's a very decent price: French steel for prices comparable to the Paderno pans.

I'm not a patina or season queen. Folks that are really into seasoning their pans would probably be very unimpressed with my pans. I just heat them up, splash in some oil when their hot, and go to town. When it comes time to clean them, I use hot water and a tiny bit of soap and only enough scrubbing on the cooking surface to get them clean; I scrub down the sides, rivets, handles, outer surface, etc. very thoroughly. For the most part, they're very non-stick when used properly.

After saying that, to answer your question, to me it's not an issue of seasoning the pan to be able to cook acidic foods, or ruining the seasoning. You'll never get an even coating all along the cooking surface and up the inside of the pan. It's about the acidic substance coming into contact with the steel and the dish developing off flavors and odors. Some dishes/sauces with a few tomatoes is fine, but something like a gastrique, no way. For that I use SS All-Clad or Viking. I use NS as little as possible.

I never fail to get hard to dislodge brown stains on or near the rivets when using SS pans... a cursory wipe and scrub with or without soap never gets it off! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I never fail to get hard to dislodge brown stains on or near the rivets when using SS pans... a cursory wipe and scrub with or without soap never gets it off! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

That's incinerated oil, and it's really, really tough to get off. I've got it on all of my pans - inside and outside surfaces, and I just live with it. For my SS pans, I scrub them hard w/ a fresh scotch brite pad to really get them clean, and hit the rivets as best I can. HOT HOT HOT soapy water. That's actually the secret to to non-stick SS pans - super clean! As long as the pan is cleaned, heated & oiled properly, sticky things like crepes and omelettes will slide right.

I've thought about trying oven cleaner, and also a dremmel w/ a wire brush attachment, but haven't tried either yet.

Heads up for you guys - the De Buyer pans with the cast handles are an endangered species. I got a news letter f/ La Cuisine last week saying De Buyer is no longer making this version (which is why it isn't showing up on their website and catalog). I spoke with La C on the phone earlier this week, and they have in stock several sizes, and they can get a few more, except for the 24cm size. Apparently each handle is sized for each pan, and for whatever reason they have no more 24cm pans.

I've ordered a couple more to round out my set - I like having 2 of each size as I'm often doing multiples of the same thing at once. Now I'll have 2 28cm and 2 32cm, but only 1 24cm. BTW - they have the monster 36cm & 40cm! Would love to have those too, but just to big for my stove top, and the handles are really long which makes storing them a problem for me...

One other thing to note about La Cuisine - they charge 10% for shipping. OUCH! But they have a e-coupon that will save you 10% - ebites, so you can basically get free shipping. Have fun!!! :wink:

Thanks! The cast handled pans are a bit more spendy than the Mineral B with flat handles, but might be nice for a most-used pan. I may also get a 24 cm crepiere to go along with the 30 cm Mineral B I picked up last week.

Just a heads up to anyone looking to take one of these for a test drive, I got a Tuesday Morning flyer in the mail last week that features DeBuyer Mineral pans on sale between $20-$30 for 8-10" pans. I haven't checked the local stores to see what they have, but that's a very decent price: French steel for prices comparable to the Paderno pans.

That is a steal, going to have to check out my Tuesday morning to see if they have any

That is a steal, going to have to check out my Tuesday morning to see if they have any

It's a great deal. Just make sure you look over the pans carefully before buying. I had to wade through 7 of them before I found one that wasn't chipped (usually around the rim). But for $32 out the door, time very well spent.

It's a great deal. Just make sure you look over the pans carefully before buying. I had to wade through 7 of them before I found one that wasn't chipped (usually around the rim). But for $32 out the door, time very well spent.

Geez. I did a location search on their website and found nothing. Do a Google search and there are three close to my work.

I'm going tonight!

Back