De Buyer Pans

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found these dimensions in a review. Might help people for interior diameter.

7-7/8" outer diameter, 5-1/3" interior diameter, 2.5 mm thickness

9-1/2" outer diameter, 6.7" interior diameter, 2.5 mm thickness

10-1/4" outer diameter, 7-1/4" interior diameter, 3 mm thickness

11" outer diameter, 7-7/8" interior diameter, 3 mm thickness

12-1/2" outer diameter, 9.4" interior diameter, 3 mm thickness

14-1/4" outer diameter, 10.4" interior diameter, 3 mm thickness

Yeah, the crepiere dimensions are deceptive... one site said the dimension quoted is the outer lip dimension, and subtract 4 cm for the interior. I figured 10" would make for good-sized home crepes or palacsinta (Hungarian crepes). Turns out that note refers to the "poeles a frire" (frying pans), as noted above; the 30 cm crepiere is larger than 30 cm, and the cooking surface is less than an inch smaller than the outer diameter. 11¾" crepes are a bit big for our table. I'll probably pick up the smaller crepiere from LC.

That's a great technique! Prolly the best one I have heard of. Have you used other oils/fats, or is lard best? Never tried lard for seasoning... my experience w/ bacon fat is it's got a low smoke point and burns easily, so I don't cook with it much. But maybe that why it's so good for seaosning pans???
I'll stick to the method you described, or go the real man route like the chinese chef seasoning a wok. Which is actually quite similar to what you are doing... thanks for that!

I have tried many other oils/fats for seasoning and lard is my favorite. I often use a metal spatula to scrape off any stuck on bits after searing or deglaze in the pan and never have any seasoning flake off.

I have tried many other oils/fats for seasoning and lard is my favorite. I often use a metal spatula to scrape off any stuck on bits after searing or deglaze in the pan and never have any seasoning flake off.

I'm curious. Do you season the outside of the pan as well? It looks like the outside of that pan was as dark as the interior.

I'm curious. Do you season the outside of the pan as well? It looks like the outside of that pan was as dark as the interior.

I don't season the exterior, I think that is just shadow. The exterior is quite purple/blue, but going back to silver after some use.

I just compared the thickness of a Mineral B Element 20 cm pan at a restaurant supply store here in LA (Surfas) to a 20 cm Mineral pan I bought from Tuesday morning. There's no question the Mineral B is thicker. The Mineral pan was right around 2 cm, the Mineral B was at least 2.5 mm. I'll try and take a picture.

For anyone interested, I picked up a 32cm Mineral B for $61 (including coupon) from Kitchen Universe. Pretty easy to find the current coupon with a Google search.

I season both the inside and outside initially, then I maintain the outside with oil.

For anyone interested, I picked up a 32cm Mineral B for $61 (including coupon) from Kitchen Universe. Pretty easy to find the current coupon with a Google search.

Wow great price! Just bought the same one at Williams Sonoma for the instant satisfaction. Just got back from the market with some Lard to attempt seasoning. This place isn't good for my wallet. I was worried about the weight, but not after trying it in person. Weight is a non issue much lighter than my lodge, and the handle wraps under my arm great. I know I will love it! Hope to get the blue crepe one in a few weeks.

Re-seasoned my 20 cm this morning. BKF got it shiny clean in seconds, then I used baking soda just to be safe. Using GlassEye's method was very easy, if a bit time-consuming. I couldn't get the coating as uniformly black as GlassEye's images show, but it is definitely smoother than the De Buyer method with grapeseed oil.

First, I boiled water with potato skins for the oxalic acid. Wiped it down. Then, I would let the pan heat to smoke point with a light layer of lard from on a paper towel GlassEye's method. Let it cool. Repeat. I have done it 4 times so far. I really like the results. Thanks for the method.

For those of you with the cast handles, do you find them to be a lot more comfortable? I've got a small mineral B (the 9"?) and would like a bigger one, but the handle is pretty uncomfortable. It's also heavy enough at the small size that I'm considering the lighter weight Force Blue as an alternative if I go bigger.

For those of you with the cast handles, do you find them to be a lot more comfortable? I've got a small mineral B (the 9"?) and would like a bigger one, but the handle is pretty uncomfortable. It's also heavy enough at the small size that I'm considering the lighter weight Force Blue as an alternative if I go bigger.

I would like to try out a cast iron handle sometime. Not sure how you are gripping. I noticed on my mineral b 12" the handle very conveniently goes underneath my arm and supports the pan when I choke up on the handle towards the skillet. I like that my arm supports the pan rather than just my hand.

My wife hated the AllClad handles until I showed her how to hold them!

Not sure I'm doing it right. No, I'm not "obsessive about seasoning" as someone mentioned in the carbon seasoning thread, but I first fried up some bacon this morning. The bacon slid around nicely, but when I tried to wipe the excess grease before the eggs I noticed quite a bit of sticky crud. Added some oil and fried up two eggs. They stuck quite badly, but I finally managed to get them out without destroying them. I prefer over-easy, but that would've been impossible. There were lots of proteins stuck in the pan, and it took lots of hot water to start loosening. My pan-dedicated nylon brush did nothing so I resorted to a well-used "green sponge" (De Buyer's term for a 3M ScotchBrite?) which did the trick with some effort. But now it looks like the pan has a very pretty blue patina, but the seasoning appears to be gone. Attempt number three?

First, I boiled water with potato skins for the oxalic acid. Wiped it down. Then, I would let the pan heat to smoke point with a light layer of lard from on a paper towel GlassEye's method. Let it cool. Repeat. I have done it 4 times so far. I really like the results. Thanks for the method.

So I get GlassEye's method, but curious about the potato skins and what the oxalic acid does...thanks...

So I get GlassEye's method, but curious about the potato skins and what the oxalic acid does...thanks...

Maybe overkill, but read about it on a few foodie forums. Just cleaning off the manufacturing junk and bees wax. I was happy with the results. Now I have done the heat to smoking with lard and paper towel multiple times. Looks good and dark enough for me now.

Not sure I'm doing it right. No, I'm not "obsessive about seasoning" as someone mentioned in the carbon seasoning thread, but I first fried up some bacon this morning. The bacon slid around nicely, but when I tried to wipe the excess grease before the eggs I noticed quite a bit of sticky crud. Added some oil and fried up two eggs. They stuck quite badly, but I finally managed to get them out without destroying them. I prefer over-easy, but that would've been impossible. There were lots of proteins stuck in the pan, and it took lots of hot water to start loosening. My pan-dedicated nylon brush did nothing so I resorted to a well-used "green sponge" (De Buyer's term for a 3M ScotchBrite?) which did the trick with some effort. But now it looks like the pan has a very pretty blue patina, but the seasoning appears to be gone. Attempt number three?

I have never had any luck with forcing a patina in my Debuyer. Every time I tried it ended in flaking or stickiness. I gave up and went au natural and have not had an issue since.

It may be a pita now, but once you get your seasoning, you will never look at another pan.

Re:eggs, it may have been your pan was not hot enough when you started the bacon causing slight sticking with the bacon, carrying over to the eggs, or the bacon was higher in sugar content (maple or applewood smoked or something) but...at the end of the day, I always start with a clean pan when cookng eggs and have never tried cooking directly after bacon.

The cast handles are much more comfortable than the strip steel handles. They do add weight to an already heavy pan. The cast handles do conduct heat, so when the pan get hot, the handles get hot and you need to use a towel, pot holder, etc.

Keep in mind if you go with a lighter pan, you're getting thinner steel which means they wil heat up quicker, less heat retention once hot, and more chance of warping if they get really hot.

+1 to what Kalaeb said.

Even if a carbon/cast iron pan is seasoned perfectly, cooking bacon in it will lead to browned bits of sugar and fat that will stick to some degree. I just soak the pan, scrape it will a metal spatula, and hit it w/ a green scrubby and hot water w/ a little soap. Patina comes and goes, but the pans always rock.

+1 to eggs over easy too . That's one of the few things I use the ScanPan NS for. Omelettes and scrambles no problem in my carbon pans as long as they're hot enough at the start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to try out a cast iron handle sometime. Not sure how you are gripping. I noticed on my mineral b 12" the handle very conveniently goes underneath my arm and supports the pan when I choke up on the handle towards the skillet. I like that my arm supports the pan rather than just my hand.

Hmmm...tried it on my 9". I can see where that would work better on a larger pan. Now I might have to try one...

$125 for all three is pretty good, actually. (+$10 credit -$10 "handling" charge).

As others have mentioned, the sugars from the bacon will often lead to little bits sticking, but it shouldn't be big deal. I created a pretty solid, flake-free patina on my pan using a combo of the peanut oil soak method and then the lard & paper towel wipe method and I still get little sugary-sticky pits of bacon goo stuck after I'm done cooking bacon.
Here's what i do:
-with all of the bacon out of the pan, but the bacon grease still in the pan, adjust the heat so that you're just below the smoke point of the bacon grease.

-use your metal spatula like a paint scraper to remove all of the burnt / gooey / sticky bits. A narrow and flexible one works best for getting into corners and around the sides.
I like this one:
314G9S9ZJ4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006A03TW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - I actually sharpened the leading edge like a chisel and flattened the underside -it does a really great job of getting under the gunk. Removing a few scrapes of seasoning here and there is not a big deal. The key to making / keeping a good seasoning is to keep it thin and smooth. Thick, chunky bits will flake like a bad paint-job.

- I have found that having the hot grease in the pan makes removing stuck-on stuff much easier than with water.

-once you have liberated all of the gunk, dump the grease out (or reserve it for use later)

-wad up a small bit (maybe 1/4 sheet) of paper towel and wipe around the pan. This will help to remove the last little flakes of burnt stuff and also spread a thin / even layer of grease.

- for extra anti-stick / to repair the scratches left from your spatula, you can add back in a little oil or bacon grease and wipe again with the paper towel wad.

-The surface of the pan should look shinny/glossy and smooth, not dull and smoking (again, too much smoke= too much heat).

The pan is ready for eggs. (you will probably want to turn the heat back up a little bit to help the pan recover from the raw eggs pulling the heat out). Adding just a pinch of butter or a little of the bacon grease will even further increase the non-stick (and add flavor).

I would say that the biggest learning curve with these pans is heat management and realizing that you don't actually need that much. Electric burners are always a PITA and add to the "challenge." I really miss cooking with fire...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

My mom just said she picked up some real lard from the local Polish delicatessen, so I'll clean up and re-season her pans with that -- I used grapeseed on hers too, before I cleaned mine and switched to Snow Cap (hydrogenated​) lard.

...I created a pretty solid, flake-free patina on my pan using a combo of the peanut oil soak method and then the lard & paper towel wipe method and I still get little sugary-sticky pits of bacon goo stuck after I'm done cooking bacon.

Could you explain the peanut oil soak method?

Thanks and Cheers!

Back