De Buyer Pans

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought an 8 and a 10 inch pan. I noticed that the bottom edge of the 8 inch pan where it slopes up is a little rough.

Did any of you notice this in this size pan? Most of the 10 inch pans I inspected did not have this, but most of the 8 inch pans I inspected had this.

La Cuisine just issued a 20% off coupon (2 days after I ordered my pans - grrrr) - SUMMER2012 - good through August 31. Good everything they sell - and sell Mauviel, in case you want splurg!

Clarification - the La Cuisine coupon is valid July 15 - August 31. mpp

Knives or copper pans--such a difficult decision. Thanks for the heads up.

Just a heads up to anyone looking to take one of these for a test drive, I got a Tuesday Morning flyer in the mail last week that features DeBuyer Mineral pans on sale between $20-$30 for 8-10" pans. I haven't checked the local stores to see what they have, but that's a very decent price: French steel for prices comparable to the Paderno pans.
Thanks a lot for the heads up, I just got a 20cm and 26 cm minérale.
I just bought an 8 and a 10 inch pan. I noticed that the bottom edge of the 8 inch pan where it slopes up is a little rough.

Did any of you notice this in this size pan? Most of the 10 inch pans I inspected did not have this, but most of the 8 inch pans I inspected had this.
All but the one I bought were like that where I went, I was just going to sand that down if I couldn't find a good one.

La Cuisine just issued a 20% off coupon (2 days after I ordered my pans - grrrr) - SUMMER2012 - good through August 31. Good everything they sell - and sell Mauviel, in case you want splurg!
Not sure I should kiss you or kick you!

I bought an 8" and 2 x 10" pans from Tuesday Morning and am very pleased. They're far better than the Lodge cast iron and our small LeCreuset 8" fry pan; lighter, taking an easy and excellent seasoning and are already pretty non-stick. The smaller one is great for eggs and on the 10" I slow cooked a black and blue small beef roast we're slicing thin and using in summer salads.

What is the difference between the mineral and carbon plus series? I think I must have one of these!

Thanks

The difference between the two is the finish.

Thanks, can you elaborate? Personal preference?

I haven't bought the Carbone Plus but I was informed by a retailer that the only difference between the two is the beeswax finish on the Mineral pans. FWIW, I believe the beeswax finish is supposed to be washed off before use according to the literature that came with the pans. Maybe others can chime in here. I just bought two Mineral pans this week but haven't used them yet.

I have a question for those of you that bought Mineral pans. What's covering the handles? Is it plastic?

Yes and it does a decent job except at high heat you need a towel. Maybe I'll get some of those rubber handle covers.

Family portrait
(1) new 32cm & (2) new 28cm Carbon pans w/ cast handles
(1) old 32cm & (1) old 24cm Carbon pans w/ cast handles

Let the fun begin!!!

De-Buyer_carbon-pans_06-22-12_3.jpg

I will never ever sell my falk saucier. Love it beyond words, but I need De Buyer frying pans now to replace my nonstick.
You guys are killing me on this thread. I need to go somewhere and check out the 12" vs 14" debuyer mineral.
What is your favorite size? Or should I just get a 12"

Yes and it does a decent job except at high heat you need a towel. Maybe I'll get some of those rubber handle covers.

Have you used it in the oven? I read on CH that they can only be used in the oven for 10 min. I'm really thinking of getting those pans that mpukas has so they can be used in the oven. I also wonder if that's why I saw the thinner pans used by French chefs in older cooking shows - they don't have that coating on the handle.

This place is such a bad influence...I just purchased a grill frypan, crepe pan, and a round frying pan...all carbon plus...aaauuughhh!!! :cheffry:

Have you used it in the oven? I read on CH that they can only be used in the oven for 10 min. I'm really thinking of getting those pans that mpukas has so they can be used in the oven. I also wonder if that's why I saw the thinner pans used by French chefs in older cooking shows - they don't have that coating on the handle.
I had not heard that about the handles, I bought these to be used, if the clearcoat melts off the handles in the oven I probably won't care too much.

I just seasoned mine with lard, hopefully I will have time to get some use in these tomorrow.
_DSC2437.jpg

That is a SS pan next them for reference.

What is your favorite size? Or should I just get a 12"

The12" - 32cm are big and HEAVY, especially w/ the cast handles. They measure just under 12" across the top from outside edge to outside edge. One thing to keep in mind about these pans, though, is because the side are sloped and they are fairly deep, the cooking surface area is smaller. The 36cm pans are probably about 13-1/2" across the top. I'd love to have one for the occasion when I sear something really big, like two turkey breast halves at once, but for the most part the 32cm suites me just fine. I can do two lamb racks at once.

The 24cm is a bit small for me, but it's nice for things like breakfast for myself when I cook a single sausage, etc. I find it too small for eggs, omelettes, etc. That's where the 28cm come in. Perfect size for omelettes, searing a couple of steaks, chicken breasts, fish fillets, etc.

I have a ScanPan 12" that has low side walls that are very vertical and I use that often just because of the large cooking surface.

The12" - 32cm are big and HEAVY, especially w/ the cast handles. They measure just under 12" across the top from outside edge to outside edge. One thing to keep in mind about these pans, though, is because the side are sloped and they are fairly deep, the cooking surface area is smaller. The 36cm pans are probably about 13-1/2" across the top. I'd love to have one for the occasion when I sear something really big, like two turkey breast halves at once, but for the most part the 32cm suites me just fine. I can do two lamb racks at once.

The 24cm is a bit small for me, but it's nice for things like breakfast for myself when I cook a single sausage, etc. I find it too small for eggs, omelettes, etc. That's where the 28cm come in. Perfect size for omelettes, searing a couple of steaks, chicken breasts, fish fillets, etc.

I have a ScanPan 12" that has low side walls that are very vertical and I use that often just because of the large cooking surface.

Thanks for your opinions. I will probably just get the 32cm mineral and a 9.44 in blue steel crepe pan. I really appreciate your help. I have a 12 inch nonstick as well.

How did they get that black with one seasoning (following the instructions)?

How did they get that black with one seasoning (following the instructions)?
I did not season using the method in the intructions.

How I season a pan: clean first, allow to evenly heat, smear a wad of paper towel in lard, wipe a very thin layer of lard into the hot pan (it needs to be a very thin layer). The thin layer should smoke quickly, when the smoke thins/stops repeat the thin layer of lard, do this until you have a desired even dark coating in the pan. When the pan has cooled some I add another layer and allow it to fully cool, then use the pan as much as possible.

I did not season using the method in the intructions.

How I season a pan: clean first, allow to evenly heat, smear a wad of paper towel in lard, wipe a very thin layer of lard into the hot pan (it needs to be a very thin layer). The thin layer should smoke quickly, when the smoke thins/stops repeat the thin layer of lard, do this until you have a desired even dark coating in the pan. When the pan has cooled some I add another layer and allow it to fully cool, then use the pan as much as possible.

That's a great technique! Prolly the best one I have heard of. Have you used other oils/fats, or is lard best? Never tried lard for seasoning... my experience w/ bacon fat is it's got a low smoke point and burns easily, so I don't cook with it much. But maybe that why it's so good for seaosning pans???

A while ago now (and I've mentioned it before) Cook's Illustrated ran an article about a reader who seasoned her cast iron pans w/ flax seed oil. Wipe a thin film in the pan, put it in a 500 oven for an hour, then turn it off until it cools. Repeat 5-6 times. Something about the molecules of flax seed oil being different that other oils. I tried it when I first got my De Buer carbon pans - the finish looked great, but as soon as I used it, it flaked off. I talked to one of the Cuisinettes (how can you not love some lovely southern gals who call themselves that???), and she tried it as well with the same results I had. Bottom line - that technique doesn't work on carbon pans.

I'll stick to the method you described, or go the real man route like the chinese chef seasoning a wok. Which is actually quite similar to what you are doing... thanks for that!

I use bar mop towels for knives because they are absorbent and cheap -- I inevitably catch the heel in the weave or pile loops. I use long terry oven mitts or gloves for the oven, and any rag I have near me for pans.

I think I'm going to start over with my carbons, though, using GlassEye's method. The way I did it (the instructions, using grape seed oil) seemed to work, but I'm noticing uneven spots and the coating doesn't seem to be building up.

I think I'm going to start over with my carbons, though, using GlassEye's method. The way I did it (the instructions, using grape seed oil) seemed to work, but I'm noticing uneven spots and the coating doesn't seem to be building up.

Grape seed oil is weird stuff to me. I use it to cook high heat and for dressing, mayonaise, etc. What I find wierd is it gets gunky/gummy. I was gonna use it for seaosning too, but I'm not sure about it. Maybe pig fat is THE way to go here.

I bought lard the same day I restocked the grape seed, so with just a thin coat of seasoning (one seasoning session and a few batches of sausage links) it'll be pretty easy to BKF it off.

Back