Japanese Knives Diamond stone set again?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so we've got 1 extra set... i know there were some who expressed interest to me before. If anyone is still interested, please shoot me a PM ASAP. First come, first serve basis.

and that's a wrap... if we missed anyone this time, feel free to shoot me a PM. If there are enough of you, i'll place another order.

I would definitely love to hear what people think once they get to spend some time with these. No cash this round, but next time, for sure!

I would definitely love to hear what people think once they get to spend some time with these.

+1, there are a few out there now. lets hear some feedback.

+1, there are a few out there now. lets hear some feedback.

This latest batch just got sent out. I doubt anyone has received it yet (unless they're in Southern California).

Pensacola Tiger has written some about his experience with the set. Once I get mine, I'll try and post some good pictures & thoughts about the set for everyone here. As long as a time/life/work permits.

Just got the set a couple hours ago.
Had to give them a whirl before I left for work.
Initial thoughts? Best $300 I've spent on this forum to date.
But that's just based on one use thus far.
The 6k leaves a nice bitey edge.
20141219_123402-picsay_zps1dd891ae.jpg

I've always had a bit of a tougher time with getting a great edge on CPM 154. Don't really know why. When I do though, watch out mise en place. But now with my trusty new 6k diamond stone, Those days are Over.

I got the set a couple days ago. I have used it to sharpen/touch-up several knives, including carbon,semi-stainless, stainless & PM steel. very good result for all of these steels.
6k stone finished up with a fine & nice tooth edge. No over polish running edge. I like them a lot......I'm thinking to sell some of my other stones just because of these diamond stone set!!

Is that a Fujiyama I see in there?

I am really liking the 6k stone as well. Was able to get a god feel for the edge it gives yesterday at work. And I already have set aside some stones that I don't see myself using anymore. I gotta say, Jon, great looking out on these guys! These stones once again just lament the fact that you truly are our cutlery Advocate!

I remember the Ealy that Rick sent me last year. He made mention to take note of the edge he gave it with these stones. I was super impressed with the toothy yet refined edge but by that time had already missed the group buy. Very pleased to have made it in this time around.

those are some cool looking knives you got there :doublethumbsup:

All I got for Christmas was a box of rocks. But some nice rocks! Got them wet and did a quick touch up on a couple knives. Like.

we ended up ordering a few more of these, and they will be en route from Japan shortly... i will post here when they arrive

I used mine today to touch up my kagekiyo I did 5 quick passes each side on the 6k and then took my ealy parer to both the 1 and 6 k stones.

I have to admit, the kagekiyo are by far my best knives...I had to slice up 4 lbs of sweet potatoes and pulled out all sorts of knives to compare....the kagekiyo 270 fell through those with twice the ease of my American knives. Only other one close was my wantanabe.

Love the stones

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but I'd like to hear some feedback on these two stones. I'd like to hear about scratch patterns, cutting speed, maintenance, edge quality... Did they replace some of your other stones? What types of steel are you sharpening? I'm moving to a completely splash and go set up and have high expectations for these. TKS MB

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but I'd like to hear some feedback on these two stones. I'd like to hear about scratch patterns, cutting speed, maintenance, edge quality... Did they replace some of your other stones? What types of steel are you sharpening? I'm moving to a completely splash and go set up and have high expectations for these. TKS MB

Yea I like the splash and go concept and these stones, I think, will be good. I just am unsure of Jon's thoughts on making these available. If they do not become available inr the future; I was thinking of maybe the shapton ceramics. I just don't know of any other good splash and go's.

If these are something anyone is interested in, just let me know. Anytime we have enough people, we would be happy to order them. In fact, i already have more on the way.

I've been really happy with them. I've only used them about six or seven times so I was waiting to get more time with them before going more in-depth.

As far as stones go, like you I've gone to a harder, faster cutting, splash & go setup. I still keep some soaking but instead of taking my time and playing around in mud like before, I'm looking to just get down to business with my edges.

I find them to both cut extremely quick. The 1k in particular seems super aggressive, but I'm not sure if that is also because of just how it sounds while you're sharpening on it. The first knife I tried on it was a Hiromoto AS, where the edge had been practically dialed in & I've sharpened it tons in the past. I raised a huge burr on it within a minute... surprised me. That's the only carbon I've used on the stones but I've found the Hiromoto AS to be kinda finicky on certain stones in the past... so I imagine a White or Blue would react really well. I've sharpened SG2 & VG10 and they sharpen up super quick too.

Feel & feedback is similar to the Shapton line of stones (which they're replacing for me). The 6k feels a lot better, naturally, and as a 1-2 punch I find it quicker than any other combo I've tried. At least at that high grit range (I also have a JNS 6k & Rika 5k).

I haven't finished any knives directly on the 1k. I'm going to try that next. From just feeling the edge while sharpening it seems super aggressive and I've been really interested in the 6k. I like the end result that I get off the 6k - a nice mix of tooth & refinement - even though I personally prefer a more coarse edge n my knives. I'm also going to try just stropping a few times on the 6k and seeing how that does me.

The included stone holder is a nice benefit but I don't personally need it. I've got your pretty standard stone holder and these stones are more than tall enough with their bases. They're about double the height of a Shapton GS and fair bit taller than Shapton Pro's.

They do leave pretty deep, bright scratches on knives. They have that in common with other diamond stones. I could see that being the main negative about these for some people. If you like to start behind the edge and work your way down when you sharpen, and are a little particular about the finish of your knives... these might not be for you.

They do seem to load up a little bit as well. The 6k in particular. Nothing terrible - it's another thing that I find similar to Shapton Glass Stones - but I am glad the nagura's were included. That said, I haven't yet seen it really effect performance and I haven't needed to use the nagura.

Overall, I find them to be like Shapton GS on steroids. Which for me is a positive - because after playing around with a fair number of different stones, for the past few months my Shapton GS 1k was seeing about 90% of the action out of all of them. (The only other Glass Stones I've owned/used was a 4k - which I thought was absolutely terrible and probably my most regretted purchase. The 6k diamond blows that out of the water).

Back