Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My spidey senses are tingling... - Imgflip

I wasn’t ready to be reminded of how bad inflation is these days when I saw that post, this is supposed to be my happy place!
Yeah, why couldn't he post it 2 years ago.... $500 would've covered it

$540 in 2010 is worth $768 today. But CKTG was selling them for a LOT less than $540 so it's academic. If he really is only adjusting for inflation the ask should be around $470 not $825 with an extra discount for the 4mm lost in height.

And for some perspective. Per Mark R

"************** wrote: Devin and I originally sold these together. I believe the price I sold them for was about $330 if memory serves. "

Last edited:

$540 in 2010 is worth $768 today. But CKTG was selling them for a LOT less than $540 so it's academic. If he really is only adjusting for inflation the ask should be around $470 not $825 with an extra discount for the 4mm lost in height.

"************** wrote: Devin and I originally sold these together. I believe the price I sold them for was about $330 if memory serves. "
Devin, Kato and Shig for less than $400, what a time

If it was new, I have 0 issues with asking that price for it. The demand is there and 10 years is good time to wait ...obv, but not in the condition it is, as he disclosed a chip, losing several mm of the height, etc...

If it was new, I have 0 issues with asking that price for it. The demand is there and 10 years is good time to wait ...obv, but not in the condition it is, as he disclosed a chip, losing several mm of the height, etc...
Thats fine, but it's the I'm doing the forum community a favour by only tacking on inflation that grinds my gears.....and the non disclosure. If seller was true to his word and motivation then the asking price would be less than $500. GLWS

Thats fine, but it's the I'm doing the forum community a favour by only tacking on inflation that grinds my gears.....and the non disclosure. If seller was true to his word and motivation then the asking price would be less than $500. GLWS
They can price it however they want, but generally speaking, 10 year old knife that lost 4mm and prob was sharpened dozens of times, really makes me wonder if there is 'any' knife in the world that's worth that...

Not wearing my mod hat.

Price seems "optimistic". An almost new Marko 240 will run 800ish. A Devin is every bit as good a knife as a Marko and if new or "as new" I would be counting my nickels to make it mine. But repaired chip, significant loss of height, merits consideration.

Mod hat on. Nothing about offering is breaking any rules. A buyer will be getting a nice knife that may need a serious spa day.

They can price it however they want, but generally speaking, 10 year old knife that lost 4mm and prob was sharpened dozens of times, really makes me wonder if there is 'any' knife in the world that's worth that...
Another consideration is that unlike, say, Tsourkans which are effectively no longer in production, Devin is still actively making/selling knives – and with arguably more desirable steels/handles.

Someone would have to be buying this at least in part as a collector's piece, which certainly makes the pricing optimistic for something that was originally a batch knife and in such "well-used" condition.

Mod hat on. Nothing about offering is breaking any rules. A buyer will be getting a nice knife that may need a serious spa day.

The spirit of this thread isn’t necessarily people breaking rules; it’s someone being out of touch with reality or a prick. The guy has used a knife for over a decade and has altered it. He literally said “I do not want to take advantage so I have decided to sell if for the same price adjusted for inflation” and then used PayPal’s conversion fee to concoct a number. It doesn’t impact me because I’ll never buy it but since we’re censored from stating the obvious in a FS thread here in the KKF-CP, we talk smack here.

Using a CPI Inflation Calculator with March 2010 as the start date, the price would be $770, 30% increase. Listing price is a 35% increase.

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=540&year1=201003&year2=202402

And that doesn’t factor in that 8% of the knife was ground off. If you take 8% off the original price, then adjust for inflation, final price is $645. Still too much.

This is just a random thought, but isn’t flipper alerts for KKF’ers who don’t know they are being ripped off?
In this case, everyone who’s interested in this knife, probably knows what they are in for 🤷‍♂️

But I get the urge to rant 😁

I don’t really care what price he’s selling it for. Just wanted to show the lineage

I paid $1650 for that knife and traded it for the same value btw
I don’t really care what price he’s selling it for. Just wanted to show the lineage
In that same spirit, it’s worth noting that it was sold on eBay a couple of months ago.

I found his offer for the 2 Kamons fair, considering one was BNIB. Hiromotos were popular before I got started in the hobby so I didn’t know this.
As with many other knives, the perception of value probably differs slightly for those who bought a Kamon production when they were being made and those of us without a time machine.

Also Ben doesn't really wanna do stainless ShichiMai.
He didn't wanna do them custom with his failure rates and he struggled with them in general. So there aren't too many out there and they are so nice.
Compared to his regular ones I think the price is justified. Especially if you look at the prices of some of is special projects.

I found his offer for the 2 Kamons fair, considering one was BNIB. Hiromotos were popular before I got started in the hobby so I didn’t know this.
How fair the Kamon price was depends a lot on what the Florentine one retailed for. That production run was also around 300 euros originally.

Back