Gengetsu pass around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't play around.

No sir you don't!

I plan on putting both through the paces and getting them sent to the next in line by next Monday. I know Jon offered his sharpening service to keep us stone amateurs honest. Do I ship to him for a tune-up or on to the next in line?

I ask only because I noticed one of the two (don't ask me which, don't remember) seemed duller than the other. I'm hesitant to sharpen someone else's knife since I know I can get stuff decently sharp, but I make no promises on the condition of the cladding...

And again, thanks to Labor of Love and Daveb for this opportunity!

Captain, the white 2 gengetsu is mine and you may sharpen it if you feel confident in what you're doing. I just realized that I never addressed sharpening for the pass around, anyone can sharpen it if they feel the knife needs it. I will say it doesn't need much, usually I touch the gengetsu wh2 up once a week on a gesh 4k and the edge pops back to razor sharpness pretty quickly.

Im ok with same.

Note that carbon G has Kanji on right side as normal. Stainless knanji is on left in that generation of Gengetsu.

I have two questions. Is it too late to get in on this? And, have I been around here long enough to qualify?

if you guys would prefer to have me sharpen it periodically, just let me know and send it my way

You all are kinda silly if you don't take Mr. JB up on this ..just my $0.02 ... seriously JB = JKI = Gengetsu = :wink:

I personally think the entire pass around is fantastic and commend all involved but when Mr. B is willing to "add" and you all don't take him up on it (FWIW I am not talking about the OP but rather the 'Benefactors') You are all being silly ... buy hey what do I know ... I own all of them so just do a passaround in my own kitchen ... LOL ..

if you guys would prefer to have me sharpen it periodically, just let me know and send it my way

I hope this is not too far from on topic:

When sharpening the Gengetsu SS (my knife, obviously not one of the passarounds), I thought that the burr was very small. Had to check twice to be sure there was one. Does this gel with other people's experience or have I just gotten too used to big burrs from sharpening too much Western stainless recently?

FWIW, I didn't find it very hard to make the knife plenty sharp.

The remainder of the US tour is as follows:
1)cheflarge
2)chuckles
3)s-line
4)d walker

From what it sounds like the knives could use a sharpening. If chef large feels up to it he can do the honors, if not the pass around can take a quick break and captain can ship the knives to JKI.

The remainder of the US tour is as follows:
1)cheflarge
2)chuckles
3)s-line
4)d walker

From what it sounds like the knives could use a sharpening. If chef large feels up to it he can do the honors, if not the pass around can take a quick break and captain can ship the knives to JKI.

I won't be around for much longer to honor that (until I get back from Japan).... once I'm back I can handle that again

I have my notes written up. Just need to sit down and type them out. :grin:

Although I'm a bit hesitant because I think at least one of the knives needed a better sharpening than I was comfortable attempting. I did touch up one of the knives as it was noticeably duller than the other and it made a huge difference, but I think it still needs more.

Bit of a teaser here, the knives felt very different in hand to me. I'll touch on that in the review.

Just let me know if I should send them to Cheflarge next, or hold off until Jon gets back.

Waiting to hear back from cheflarge. If he's comfortable sharpening the knives we can just ship straight to him. Since Jon's going to be out of the country for a bit I think the best thing to do if Cheflarge declines to sharpen would be to ship to chuckles. Chuckles you don't mind sharpening do you 🤡???

No worries. Again - my most humble thanks to labor of love and daveb for giving us this amazing opportunity.

Ok I have a thing for white #2. I swear I'm starting to recognize it out of the box.

Now - the two knives are supposed to be 240mm. Umm no at least in how I measure.

White #2 159g 240mm. This is the knife for me. Nice and polished. Felt good in my hands. I was very comfortable with veggies and proteins with this blade.

Stainless 196g weight 249mm length. Yes I weighed and measured. It felt more like my TF 240 and kato workhorse in that it was a much more substantial knife. I had to fight to keep control of this blade. Reminder - I'm a chick but even my 6"4' hubby was kinda going ...ummm hand me the smaller knife on this one.

Now if you're looking for a beast workhorse I'd ask Jon to find you one of his longer 240's. But for me I'll stay with the W#2.

We did onions, peppers, melons, protein, and carrots with these. I'm looking forward to more feedback.

Both were nice, but like I said, I like w#2.

For what it's worth, a lot of the semi stainless ones are much more similar to your white number two experience nowadays

Semi also has Kanji on the left side of blade. Carbon on right side. (Jon needed a way to tell them apart - ha!)

Back