KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If I were the mods, I’d censor and decensor random words. Just for fun. Lift the ban on fxck for a week, but ban mazaki for the same week.

How about we censor all references to rectangle shaped knives for the month of March. That would be fun!

Last edited:

Bought potassium bicarbonate for mixing with distilled water as a scale/corrosion free water supply for espresso.

Having just used 0.4g of it for a gallon of water, I am accepting that a pound of it may have been a bit excessive to purchase.😂

One of the earlier advices, or "reasons" I got about Japanese kitchen knives was "they last a lifetime or much longer than regular knives", or "they're perfection" for like honyaki or so on. Nah, they all get used down, and knives are different enough that the saying doesn't really apply well. The ability to discern and test kinda helped in other fields where advertised vs actual performance differ, which is a lot of fields.

Trying legendary woodworking blacksmiths kitchen knives, as well as swordsmith knives helped show me just how good the kitchen knife smiths are. Also, trying single bevels from outside of Sakai showed me just how good the sharpeners are from there. Sakai heat treat and steel is pretty solid. Tosa stuff is rustic but shouldn't be downplayed, and echizen stuff strikes a great balance of factory consistency with blacksmith techniques.

I wanna learn how to polish, so I can ruin it.

But

**** that noise. I’m too lazy for all that.

8igpy3.jpg

My wife is listening very closely. Too bad I don’t make them, in any “dialect”.

Anyone tried this?

I tend to store up trimmings and chicken bones over a month, then supplement with additional veg, roast hard, then add spices and either sous vide it all day or pressure cook it for 2 hours with no release depending on how much material I’m dealing with. Follow up with hard boiling to reduce to 1/3-1/2 volume to reduce volume taken up in the freezer.

The idea of taking either a meat mallet or poultry shears and mincing the bones and blending or food processing the veg instead of leaving it in whole chunks is super interesting though for flavor extraction. I could see a juicer being best to make removal of solids from the final product best but I’m lacking that option. Anyone gone to those extremes? Seen a difference in your stocks?

We hired another Sous Chef.
My boss said he's going to train him.
It's the end of the Sous's 2nd week.
He doesn't know the menu, just like my boss still doesn't.
He asked if I'm annoyed he's asking questions. I am, but not at him.
It's going to be rough here when I leave and the Executive Sous retires.

The idea of taking either a meat mallet or poultry shears and mincing the bones and blending or food processing the veg instead of leaving it in whole chunks is super interesting though for flavor extraction.

For many years, I have cut my veggies for stock on a bias and made the chunks smaller because I felt intuitively that I'd get more flavour that way. But the idea of putting everything through a grater never occurred to me.

I'm thinking that this is worth experimenting with. Rather than only using the juice, I don't see why you couldn't just grate everything and simmer it as usual, then strain the whole lot through a chinois.

Back