KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For many years, I have cut my veggies for stock on a bias and made the chunks smaller because I felt intuitively that I'd get more flavour that way. But the idea of putting everything through a grater never occurred to me.

I'm thinking that this is worth experimenting with. Rather than only using the juice, I don't see why you couldn't just grate everything and simmer it as usual, then strain the whole lot through a chinois.
I imagine the unfiltered stock would be … gloppy. In that instance, I’d skip the chinois and go for wringing it in cloth. The extra pressure speeds things up.

Team Power Hammer – 0
Team Stock Removal – 1
I think I’d rather get power-hammered than suffer the heartbreak of becoming overground.

oh and

1710085818055.jpeg

My wife unaccountably sent along a TikTok video featuring food release. It happens rarely enough I thought it worth sharing.
It looks like this works because the knife has a convex edge and the slices are very thin. Make the slices thicker, and likely the carrot will start to crack instead of being cut and the slices will attach themselves to the side of the blade. It is telling that the video on that page does not show a single example of things being cut into thicker slices.

At that speed you would also be a lot faster using a mandolin... ;)

We hired another Sous Chef.
My boss said he's going to train him.
It's the end of the Sous's 2nd week.
He doesn't know the menu, just like my boss still doesn't.
He asked if I'm annoyed he's asking questions. I am, but not at him.
It's going to be rough here when I leave and the Executive Sous retires.

Those stickers look like a pain!!!

A little hot water and they give up the ghost like they're the wicked witch getting splashed with water.

Joke's on you, man... Those are the new quart containers that hold four quarts.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Got another one my boss hit me with before he left. For the day. Unfortunately not for ever.

"Can you finish the temp logs?" - Executive Chef

"Sure. Can you make the Vegan Chipotle aioli?" - Me

"Can't you make it? It just takes a few minutes." - Executive Chef

"So do the temp logs." - Me
Spider_Man_meme.jpg

Last edited:

A little hot water and they give up the ghost like they're the wicked witch getting splashed with water.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Got another one my boss hit me with before he left. For the day. Unfortunately not for ever.

"Can you finish the temp logs?" - Executive Chef

"Sure. Can you make the Vegan Chipotle aioli?" - Me

"Can't you make it? It just takes a few minutes." - Executive Chef

"So do the temp logs." - Me
View attachment 308215
There were 2 chef's this morning and neither one was myself...🙄

Two and a half centuries of independence from imperial domination, and they're still using imperial measurements...

That Ashi Honyaki has to be one of the most expensive knives listed in this forum's BST right? Certainly the most expensive that I've seen, granted I've only been on these forums for about a year

That Ashi Honyaki has to be one of the most expensive knives listed in this forum's BST right? Certainly the most expensive that I've seen, granted I've only been on these forums for about a year

Maybe. There was an Ashi Honyaki, 270?, with a regular handle for $6,000 that sold not too long ago. Definitely a collectors piece.

Last edited:

We also speak English, but to be fair both the language and the measurements are now more ours than our former overlords by way of cultural conquest.

Making the world have to google *** a barrel of oil is, is worth the struggle of having to use converters for our incredibly dumb units, and I will die on that my mountain that is no shorter than 2 furlongs so it can’t be classified as a hill.

For a 300 and an Ashi, it doesn't seem out of range, but I don't play in that space so hard for me to really judge.

yeah I have no sense of cost when it comes to knives that expensive which is why I posted here vs the flipper thread. Whether a discussion about it belongs there or not is outside my wheelhouse

Back