Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it on good authority that Jiros are especially popular among the robot community in the states.
With the impending rise in AI technology I expect these problems to become even more prevalent in the coming years.
Hitohira wants the reseller to show up the Jiro on insta before selling. Ok fine, but if I see a hint on insta why the heck don't they sell it?! When I see it in their local store they would. I asked at least 10 times multiple resellers and none of them were willing to sell. As a collector, I'm regularly following all the release but like this, all lazy folks will be online at the time and some of them activating a bot. This sux.

I have it on good authority that Jiros are especially popular among the robot community in the states.
With the impending rise in AI technology I expect these problems to become even more prevalent in the coming years.
The uprising has begun
60b78b06bcfed6fa-600x338.jpg

The irony being that the T-1000s only want the most handmade (aka most human) of all the collectible knives.
Reminds me of how Ryan Gosling’s character in BladeRunner had a
Hologram girlfriend for no functional reason other than to make him feel human. Robots get depressed too, they have their own ways to fill the void. Usually with Jiros.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I was distinctly unimpressed with the Jiro someone let me try. Let the AI have them, I say.
I wouldn't want an earlier one, but the later grinds look pretty good.

Reactions: KOA
has anyone tried the non-Pro Wat knives? I assume all (or most) Wats we see here, including the nakiri, are Pro.
I've tried a few non-Pro Wat knives and they are all over the place. Very different from each other as if sourced from different smiths or very different experiments by the same smith. I think it is more the formal personally as they didn't seem to have a common theme/style that knives from a single smith usually have.

The pro line including 180 mm pro nakiri examples that I've personally tried were identical to Toyama knives of the same size/style, barring the usual differences in handmade knives and different kanjis .

Thanks for your comments on my harshly expressed subjective views.
The knife´s looks (simple and to me actually quite ugly) led me to being more harsh than I like to be.
I totally get your points but would still say that an apprentice under an ABS master smith does not mean much.
1. The apprentice has to have the talent and two right hands, 2. the ABS master smith has to be a rather good teacher; otherwise this means nothing.
I also don´t think that Maumasi or what´s his name spends more time on the knife than say Birgersson; unless he is very slow of course.
(still talking about the example knife from above)

I don't think you're overly harsh at all here. I just disagreed with one small part which is an equally subjective opinion on my end.

Having handled, but not used, a couple Maumasi knives they look to be very well designed, and immaculately
finished knives. From talking with folks in the industry who have worked with him, he spends a substantial time in finishing them, but I think those are in more complex pieces than this.

I appreciate your perspective.

Well I blame years of reading Nakiri shootout threads. I don’t use Nakiris, but reviewers tend to favor Toyama Nakiris over Wat Nakiris. So I understood that to mean Wat was famous for some totally diff Nakiri not made by Toyama. But now it seems a Wat Nakiri could be made by anyone depending on which price we’re talking about.

Well I blame years of reading Nakiri shootout threads. I don’t use Nakiris, but reviewers tend to favor Toyama Nakiris over Wat Nakiris. So I understood that to mean Wat was famous for some totally diff Nakiri not made by Toyama. But now it seems a Wat Nakiri could be made by anyone depending on which price we’re talking about.
Seeing the JNS ku version and the Wat polished version kind of clinches it for me that the 180mm is the same knife. Is it a different story for the 165mm maybe? Don't know and have never owned the 165mm, but I'm kind of doubtful, the pics of the 165mm on Wat's site have that same sticker on the handle that all the Toyama knives have!

Seeing the JNS ku version and the Wat polished version kind of clinches it for me that the 180mm is the same knife. Is it a different story for the 165mm maybe? Don't know and have never owned the 165mm, but I'm kind of doubtful, the pics of the 165mm on Wat's site have that same sticker on the handle that all the Toyama knives have!
The wat Nakiris from other lines besides the professional line are made by someone other than Toyama

The wat Nakiris from other lines besides the professional line are made by someone other than Toyama
Yep, but the famous one is the pro and like you had I had seen speculation in the threads out there that the wat pro nakiris aren't made by Toyama based on having different grinds. So I was a bit surprised that the pro nakiris do appear to be made by Toyama. So, do they start out as the same knife but have different grinds that correspond to the different finishes? Sorry if this covered elsewhere though.

Yep, but the famous one is the pro and like you had I had seen speculation in the threads out there that the wat pro nakiris aren't made by Toyama based on having different grinds. So I was a bit surprised that the pro nakiris do appear to be made by Toyama. So, do they start out as the same knife but have different grinds that correspond to the different finishes? Sorry if this covered elsewhere though.
Migaki and KU gyuto seem to have different grinds. Nakiri may be different

Toyama aogami#2 gyuto 210mm vs Toyama kurouchi aogami#2 240mm gyuto
KU looks like symmetrical-ish wide bevel, migaki is asymmetrical full convex

The famous ku wat pro 180 and Toyama ku 180 appear to be the same knife. Until recently the only way to buy that knife was through watanabe, so we all or at least most of us thought that the wat pro was made by someone else. This seemed to be especially true because until a few years ago toyama could only be bought from one place and the knives were iron clad when wat pro ku 180 was stainless clad.

Now, though it appears that wat pro ku 180 is also made by Toyama like the rest of the pro line.

There is a clue what is Toyama made :) Sticker on Ho wood handles and Toyama changed to Stainless clad knives some years ago :D

There is a clue what is Toyama made :) Sticker on Ho wood handles and Toyama changed to Stainless clad knives some years ago :D
The kanji on the sticker only says buffalo horn furrel. I would imagine that just simply implies they outsource the handle making to the same supplier.

Another two Jiros went by bot ... I'm so fed-up with this s*** ...

This is incorrect. I know because I got (won?) the sujihiki. I am not a bot. I did not use a bot. I just refreshed a ton starting at 10:59:50 CDT and got lucky. The page actually refreshed just after 11:00:00 and my checkout took about 5 seconds, and I expect the gyuto went even faster. And just to be clear I have no connection with this shop -- in fact I've never bought anything from them before this. I have tried for a LOT of knives, and I usually lose out (including others from Stay Sharp).

Stay Sharp. Refresh showed directly sold knives ... what a joke. I won't spend any time and money for this reseller anymore.

You can be unhappy with the method they use to sell high-demand knives like Jiro -- that's totally fair. If you'd prefer a raffle or another method that is more fair (or at least adjusts the luck), please voice your thoughts. But remember there are a lot of us all trying for this knife at the same time. Just because you didn't get it, doesn't mean the shop is trying to scam you.

In a former life I used to manage a retail shop in another niche industry, and this comment is what drove me to respond. I'm not trying to single you out specifically, but please try to keep things in perspective here. These are just guys who love knives just like we do. Yes, this is an expensive knife, but they're not raising the price so much to gouge the customer. They gave a heads-up on IG and let luck take it's course. Yes it's frustrating when you don't get your dream knife. But why vilify the shop?

Back