Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice bait... I fell for it.
Might as well rename that shop to 'wallhanger-tools' at those prices.

307mm, *** are you guys compensating for. The next thing you know the new kkf trend will be full of wtb tuna swords, and everyone will be recommending a 840mm "gyuto" and look down on anyone who's looking for a 240

307mm, *** are you guys compensating for. The next thing you know the new kkf trend will be full of wtb tuna swords, and everyone will be recommending a 840mm "gyuto" and look down on anyone who's looking for a 240
A few years ago I thought 270s were ridiculous... now I already own 2 and might get more in the future. It's only a matter of time before you join the dark side...

Wakui hon Warikomi at KTH, they also have a quite nice Kagekiyo selection, include new series by Max
IMG_4695.jpeg

Thanks!

They look quite nice. Nice finish and elegant handles (albeit very light). If I’m looking at the right one, it’s about 500AUD for a 240mm gyuto… not a bad price per se, but pretty expensive for a W2 sanmai 240mm by a new sharpener. Looks good from the photos but the Yamato and Ren series are much cheaper and have excellent steel (in my my amateur view). I’ve really enjoyed both (have tested them side by side recently) and got them both for the same price as one Kagekiyo. Bit surprised that they’d introduce a new and inexperienced sharpener at that price point (cf Morihiro’s grandson, Ren) but perhaps he is a prodigy and it is worth it?

I have no experience with Max’s knives, but some people just don’t need 20 years before they can produce great knives. The head sharpener at Hado is really a little pupil compared to the veteran sharpeners in Sakai. Plenty more examples among the western makers.
I agree, which is why I noted that he might be a prodigy. The market will quickly determine whether the price is a fair one. Just interesting to compare to the approach with other new sharpeners.

Ive never tried a Kamon and probably never will, but that price just amazes me. No shade thrown at Kamon, more power to ya if you can get it, but for real. Id love to see that in a head to head with an Eddworks in similar specs for a fraction of the price.
Its ET premium tax

If that was a TF Denka there would be howls of derision. The overgrind into the Ku is comical. Would have expected better for $3300
I doubt it is an overgrind. Ben is a real wizard with the grinder. More likely those spots were under hammered.

Last edited:
Back