Knife Lotteries

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats! Will they let you sneak that into a penal colony though? I'll be more than happy to hold it for you until you get out :D

Only here people are happy when they win the right to spend money, Marko has developed enabling to an art form :D But congratulations, nevertheless, I am sure it will be a great knife.

Stefan

Only here people are happy when they win the right to spend money, Marko has developed enabling to an art form :D But congratulations, nevertheless, I am sure it will be a great knife.

Stefan

Yeah, we all need years of therapy lol.

If its not too much extra work doing it this way, I say keep it up. All the thrills of gambling, but on a sure thing. Thanks.

Stefan

Thanks everybody, you realize this is dripping with irony and surrealism for me. Talk about internal conflict. LOL. But I can't wait.

Stefan
Something like this :)

shutupandtakemymoney_zps3bbbd52e.jpeg

Only a select few can achieve this. Marko is one of those people.

Here is the knife from the last week's lottery. 255mm gyuto in 52100 with cocobolo/ebony handle and brass guard. Almost done with it, better pics are coming likely tomorrow.

20140127_190507_resized.jpg

Next week's knife is 325mm suji in AEB-L. S grind. Koa handle with contracting end and front of the handle. Brass guard.

Below is the pic of the blank. I would like to ask $630 for it. Size, Western handle require a lot of work. Price includes shipping.

20131119_154526.jpg

If you would like to enter the lottery, for 325mm suji, please use the following link
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...JsSUdfbDQ2UmpFSUw0MEdjd1E&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Same deal as last week - will close the list at 9am EST tomorrow morning.

Thank you,

Marko

Marko-
I like your surface plate. More knife than I need to swing right now. I'm sure it will be a beaut.

Thanks.
I wanted to try a knife that I normally don't make. the longest suji I have made is 275mm.

Should there be no interest, I will switch to a different knife.

M

I'm sure it will be amazing, but it's too much knife for me. 285 mm is the maximum range I like a suji

I imagine myself looking like a bad ass carrying this in a saya, walking from the car to the kitchen I work at. Random people would think I'm off to assassinate someone or something.

Lol, it sounded cool in my head.

This knife is not for me but hope someone buys it and post pictures. Nice one,Marko.

By the way, the strop just arrived, can't wait to give it a go tonight.

Ferry

I am going to replace the 325mm suji with 250mm Western handle gyuto with a koa handle with contrasting accents, as there seems to be little interest for this long a suji. I will put on hold the scimitar and the bread knife for the reasons that preparation (cutting a blank, profiling, heat treating) takes a long time and I can't justify working on it if there is little interest. Long knives require more time, not to mention the S grind geometry being much more time consuming than say any form of convex.

I will use the list from the last week to do the drawing for the 250mm gyuto. If anybody from the last week wouldn't want to participate, please send me an email.

Thanks.

Nice! Keep me on the list. This lottery is win/win for all of us.

Grrrrr. I was actually worried that if for some chance I won last week's lottery that I would lose out on the scimitar. That's the one I was really excited about, but now understanding the scope of labor and the necessary pricing behind it, maybe it's still out of reach for Me..

I have said this before, S grind takes about 30% more time than a convex grind, plus it requires a hand finish. The lengh of a knife, even as narrow as a suji, also makes a project more laborious. Western handle with contrasting accents (joinery), spreads the work on the handle over 2 days. When I add everything, for the price I charge for these knives, I don't use my time as productively as I could.

Here is the list for 1/31/2014 drawing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8tdVpFNEpjZ09xSTZ0TG90dXc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

PS: I am considering offering stock knives in convex geometry and making S geometry only custom.

Marko,
Please confirm that I'm in. For some reason I'm being denied access. I did sign up a few weeks ago.

Here are a few more pics of the first lottery knife. Still need to do a little extra polish, etch the name and to sharpen, but other than that, the knife is done.

20140128_154835_resized.jpg

20140128_154930_resized.jpg

20140128_154752_resized.jpg

20140128_154908_resized.jpg

20140128_154728_resized.jpg

Back