Knife Lotteries

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't gotten a feedback on the scimitar yet, so I might have to do another 250mm gyuto.

No, 52100 for the time being. I am out of AEB-L and have a difficulty to obtain it in a right thickness (the source where I can get it on the East Coast, has it a tad too thin for my taste).

No, I haven't ran a lottery for two weeks, will do a drawing this coming Friday.

Haven't heard from the scimitar tester, so a scimitar is not in cards. Will be another 250mm gyuto.

Thanks,

Marko

No, I haven't ran a lottery for two weeks, will do a drawing this coming Friday.

Haven't heard from the scimitar tester, so a scimitar is not in cards. Will be another 250mm gyuto.

Thanks,

Marko

Actually, the drawing for the next lottery knife is the coming Monday, not today, sorry.

I am resuming offering weekly knife lotteries. Still awaiting the feedback on the scimitar, so for the time being will keep making 250mm gyutos.

Below are 2nd week's lottery knife (with koa handle) and this week's lottery knife (One previous drawing's knife is still in works). This week's is the one with Lignum Vitae handle.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...VJdnBhUTN1djNnS3dMUmZEYlE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

If you signed up for the last drawing, you are still on the list. If you are not interested in participating this time, please remove yourself or let me know and I will remove you.

Lignum Vitae is an interesting wood. It has some figure, has a wonderful smell and a very natural touch to it. Over time it will develop either dark red/brown or green patina.

Asking $500 shipped in ConUs (international at cost - $10 credit).

I will close the list at noon tomorrow and will have a drawing in the afternoon.

Thanks,

Marko

20140303_195541_resized.jpg

20140303_195307_resized.jpg

20140303_195321_resized.jpg

I was signed up for the last drawing but my name isn't on the list this time. I added it back on, hopefully that's ok?

Any chance of a shorter gyuto? 225 or so? :D I don't know if anyone else is looking for anything this size though haha.

The winner of #2 knife would rather have Lignum Vitae than koa (I will make an exception this time), so the koa blade is up for another drawing (and I will make another blade with Lignum Vitae handle).

The redrawn winner for #4 knife is statusquo - 250mm gyuto in 52100 with koa handle. PM on the way.

M

Westerners look great glad your getting the hang of em. What's the chance of seeing a sword grind? Im bigger on ease of maintenance over the years than perfect cutting for the first 12months. Really want to try one to see if one that style does it.

There will be also some 225mm WA handle in the future?

I am going to do one more lottery and take a break for a while. I have a Seattle show coming up and might be out of the country in May for 2-3 weeks, so I will have my hands full with other things.

The knife for your consideration is 257mm Western handle gyuto. 52100 steel, Shigefusa profile, S geometry. The figure on the ziricote handle is pretty wild, reminiscent of a figure on desert ironwood. Pictures tomorrow.

If you wish to participate in the lottery, please sign in the list below. I rolled over folks from the last lottery, if somebody doesn't want to participate, please remove yourself from the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tKUGVtY0p4N2hBVTVVajUtMWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Asking $530 shipped in ConUS. Drawing tomorrow at 3pm.

Thanks,

Marko

Somehow my name is always kicked off this list when it gets rolled over. Oooh the hurt feelings

Knife's weight is 222g. There is a small scratch on the face, not sure how I put it on. Will polish it out before sending the knife out. The leather saya is optional, but it will delay shipping by a couple of weeks.

This will conclude Shigefusa profile for lottery knives. If I do some more, the next will be straight Masamoto.

Here are some pictures:

DSC_1109.jpg

DSC_1110.jpg

DSC_1111.jpg

DSC_1112.jpg

DSC_1113.jpg

Just want to add that with this lottery knives run I have accomplished what I set out to - make a number of western handled knives to get some experience with new handle type and make adjustment to the grind for the Western type. I got some feedback and have already incorporated it and will make minute tweaks as I get more feedback. So far the responses have been positive on the ergonomics of the handle, so the shape is here to stay.

Now that I am comfortable with the Western handle type, I can shift my attention to other work. I am going put off some new work (miroshi deba, bread knife) as I recognize that each type will require some investment in time and I can't afford it now.

That said, I am back to my custom order list and Western handle knife is now an option.

Thanks,

Marko

March 21st lottery winner is Marc4pt0. Congratulation.

Marko

PS: It's funny how chance works. In one of my earlier lottery drawings, cclin posted something to the effect of that he really was hoping to win, and he won, and Marc posted that he wasn't rolled over from last lottery, and he also won. Maybe that what you guys should do to bust your chances of winning. Just saying... Jokes aside, I specifically ask my wife do the drawings, so the lottery stays unbiased.

I also want to add that I really like how ziricote finishes and feels in a hand. It seems to have a very good gripp to it after a high polish, that I rarely find on natural and stabilized woods.

M

Congrats Marc, bet you will love that western handle i think Markos westerns are amongst the nicest i have held

Get out of town. Best smoke break news ever. Period.
I'll catch up with you after service Marko!

I keep missing the lotteries, but they are very beautiful Marko. One day I shall have one lol

Congrats Marc ;)

I am going to do 330 scimitar in 52100 with ziricote handle. Price $630 shipped. A leather sheath is optional and will delay shipping by about a week. Pics of the blank shortly and specs info is to follow.

S grind and hand-rub finish. The knife is heat treated for best combination of sharpness and edge stability, and will be ground to about .015 on the edge (the preference seems to be for leaving some metal on the edge). The difficulty grinding this shape, the length, the Western handle - factors that influence the cost of this blade. 7 days return and lifetime warranty for craftsmanship and materials under normal use.

To sign up for the lottery, sign the link below.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...RGU2c2YkV6WS1XcWwteWlGRlE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

I will do the drawing on the 27th of March at 3pm.

Thanks,

Marko

Back