MH Passarround - Nakiri 173x63mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to even ask, but any chance you could squeeze me in on the US side?

Totally understand if not!

Southern California, don’t mind being last and shipping back across the world

Hate to even ask, but any chance you could squeeze me in on the US side?

Totally understand if not!

Southern California, don’t mind being last and shipping back across the world
Maybe could work, lets see how the PA works out over there!

Received late in the evening. Nicely packaged with some goodies and info for PA participants. Edge OOTB is fierce. I know Martin tuned it up before shipping to the US and it shows. It is one of the heavier knives I have handled. 260g is not that wild, but for 173x62 it feels dense. I'll have more info after some prep tomorrow :). First PA for me, and really thankful I get to participate! TY @martinhuber. My only disappointment is not getting an Easter egg in the box 8==> lol. I was really hoping for a Justin Timberlake moment. Otherwise, it looks splendid and ready to rock.

Received late in the evening. Nicely packaged with some goodies and info for PA participants. Edge OOTB is fierce. I know Martin tuned it up before shipping to the US and it shows. It is one of the heavier knives I have handled. 260g is not that wild, but for 173x62 it feels dense. I'll have more info after some prep tomorrow :). First PA for me, and really thankful I get to participate! TY @martinhuber. My only disappointment is not getting an Easter egg in the box 8==> lol. I was really hoping for a Justin Timberlake moment. Otherwise, it looks splendid and ready to rock.
i thought about doing a shitload of my "Special drawings"
But these are reserved for customers only now ;)

and about the edge, i really thought i had to refinish the edge after Part 1 of the PA.
But as i unpacked it i didnt really have to do anything, i just gave it a few light strops on the 6000 and leather, but it still had a rasor edge comeing back :)

and about the edge, i really thought i had to refinish the edge after Part 1 of the PA.
But as i unpacked it i didnt really have to do anything, i just gave it a few light strops on the 6000 and leather, but it still had a rasor edge comeing back :)
🧐

Wow! Either you're lying, or people didn't use the sidewalk for initial necessary or completely unnecessary sharpening.

🧐

Wow! Either you're lying, or people didn't use the sidewalk for initial necessary or completely unnecessary sharpening.
Dont worrie, i was just as confused as you are.
at my first PA 3 years ago the Edge came back F*cked :'D
Maybe in this PA i just had some really good sharpeners? Who knows?

Alright. A few thoughts. I have done a couple of small dinner preps with this knife and made some mirepoix for stock. I also used a Konosuke 210 MM that I have been playing around with different sharpening methods on. I think the Kono kept me honest. The MH cleaver is awesome. It falls through product with little effort. I am surprised at just how well it cuts for how heavy it is. I think there is some weight in the spine and in the handle, but the convex grind is quite thin. I did not experience wedging on carrots, onions, potatoes, celery, or zucchini squash. I did not have issues with food release / stiction. The profile is interesting. I did not mind the flat back end of the knife as I have finally gotten used to that sensation. The front does indeed make it feel like a gyuto/chef with the tip cut off. I think it makes the knife more intuitive to use. You don't have quite as much tip height to compensate for so push cutting is the same motion as a gyuto vs. more of a stand up and chop with taller nakiri or cleaver. Zero adjustment necessary. Just go at it knowing you lose the thin tip gyuto tip for a compact veggie-eating machine with a nice usable flat spot. That shape is a little extreme for me in a nakiri, but I cannot fault it so far and only have one other nakiri to compare it to (Shiro Kamo AS Tall). Will add more later if I remember :). Having a blast with it. TY MH!

Last edited:
Placed in the mail to @Delat today. The edge that MH put on it is still going strong. Prepped maybe 5-6 small meals with it over the course of 10 days. Awesome little knife. Will reiterate how impressed I am with the thin convex grind on it. It feels a little short and stubby in hand (yep make your jokes here), but it cuts like an absolute champion. Hoping to get my very own MH nakiri in the near future as I am lacking rectangles in my life.

Placed in the mail to @Delat today. The edge that MH put on it is still going strong. Prepped maybe 5-6 small meals with it over the course of 10 days. Awesome little knife. Will reiterate how impressed I am with the thin convex grind on it. It feels a little short and stubby in hand (yep make your jokes here), but it cuts like an absolute champion. Hoping to get my very own MH nakiri in the near future as I am lacking rectangles in my life.
Thank you so much for the nice words, happy you like it! :)

The nakiri arrived today. The edge was in good shape - it could slice newsprint but couldn’t push cut it or slice a paper towel. I’m fine with that level of sharpness for everyday use, but I want to give this guy the best chance at a good first impression so I went ahead gave it a quick visit to an SG1000 with a strop on SG4000. Sharpens quickly and easily as expected from 1.2419 and seems about the same on the stones as my Kamon of the same steel, but I’m the furthest thing from an expert.

Hope to get cooking with it in the next couple days. I’ll probably grab some video while I’m at it, and compare it to other knives in either similar price or weight bracket.

Last edited:
The nakiri arrived today. The edge was in good shape - it could slice newsprint but couldn’t push cut it or slice a paper towel. I’m fine with that level of sharpness for everyday use, but I want to give this guy the best chance at a good first impression so I went ahead gave it a quick visit to an SG1000 with a strop on SG4000. Sharpens quickly and easily as expected from 1.2419 and seems about the same on the stones as my Kamon of the same steel, but I’m the furthest thing from an expert.

Hope to get cooking with it in the next couple days. I’ll probably grab some video while I’m at it, and compare it to other knives in either similar price or weight bracket.
Thanks for the Update :)

Happy cutting from my Vacation in Egypt!

Finally got to use the passaround today. Here’s the knives I grabbed for comparison. I nicknamed them City Mouse (Willow Forge), Country Mouse (MH), Sanjo Mouse (Wakui), Russian Mouse (Markin). These are all roughly in the $300 - $500 range, and the Markin is my closest thing to a workhorse so probably the closest in spirit for comparison. The Wakui is a laser so it’s probably an unfair comparison, or maybe apples to oranges, but it’s a nakiri so it’s in. The Willow Forge is an s-grind and my only other other nakiri, and definitely looks the part of a city mouse next to the Huber.

My overall take is that the Huber is a solid workhorse. I’m much more of a laser guy so take everything with a grain of salt. In terms of feel the Huber is surprisingly similar to my Markin, which I quite like. The weight inspires confidence and is nice for powering through cuts, and the grind is thin enough down low to give a smooth feel without early wedging. It definitely feels like a tank that can crush through anything, especially compared to the delicate Wakui.

Where it wouldn’t be my first choice is thick, dense produce. This is expected, as workhorse convexity pushes offcuts away for food release vs thinner grinds. I personally wouldn’t use this guy for really thick carrots and big sweet potatoes, but certainly for most other jobs it should appeal to workhorse lovers. If I ever did a custom with Martin, I’d probably ask him to keep the spine thickness the same, but raise the shinogi a bit and go thinner on the entire blade road with an asymmetric grind. But obviously I’d be giving up some durability for ease of use.

IMG_3602.jpeg

First up is an onion. I was surprised the Huber could do a decent horizontal cuts given the weight, however you can see it would only penetrate up to the shinogi. The rest of the cuts were smooth and easy.

Next a tomato - practically effortless, although I’ll admit I’m never quite satisfied with my edges vs tomatoes (that’s on me, not the knife)

Sweet potato is always a challenging test, and perhaps an unfair one for a workhorse like this. However it performed better than expected, although the Wakui just giggled and danced through the cuts by comparison. Again, an unfair comparison as the Wakui is a laser and dense, hard produce is where lasers shine, however the Huber did surprisingly well overall.

Finally a carrot test using all the little mice. They all performed great; the Huber was surprisingly quiet through the cuts, no braaap, although you can see in the video it did require a little bit of force relative to the Wakui, but in line with the Markin and Willow Forge. Very similar feel to the Markin on this test.

Last edited:
Sorry if I have already posted this flashback, but wasn't the handle person with a turtle at the bottom Mike Henry or the like. "MH"

Just a random thought, please ignore.

Finally got to use the passaround today. Here’s the knives I grabbed for comparison. I nicknamed them City Mouse (Willow Forge), Country Mouse (MH), Sanjo Mouse (Wakui), Russian Mouse (Markin). These are all roughly in the $300 - $500 range, and the Markin is my closest thing to a workhorse so probably the closest in spirit for comparison. The Wakui is a laser so it’s probably an unfair comparison, or maybe apples to oranges, but it’s a nakiri so it’s in. The Willow Forge is an s-grind and my only other other nakiri, and definitely looks the part of a city mouse next to the Huber.

My overall take is that the Huber is a solid workhorse. I’m much more of a laser guy so take everything with a grain of salt. In terms of feel the Huber is surprisingly similar to my Markin, which I quite like. The weight inspires confidence and is nice for powering through cuts, and the grind is thin enough down low to give a smooth feel without early wedging. It definitely feels like a tank that can crush through anything, especially compared to the delicate Wakui.

Where it wouldn’t be my first choice is thick, dense produce. This is expected, as workhorse convexity pushes offcuts away for food release vs thinner grinds. I personally wouldn’t use this guy for really thick carrots and big sweet potatoes, but certainly for most other jobs it should appeal to workhorse lovers. If I ever did a custom with Martin, I’d probably ask him to keep the spine thickness the same, but raise the shinogi a bit and go thinner on the entire blade road with an asymmetric grind. But obviously I’d be giving up some durability for ease of use.

View attachment 258056

First up is an onion. I was surprised the Huber could do a decent horizontal cuts given the weight, however you can see it would only penetrate up to the shinogi. The rest of the cuts were smooth and easy.

Next a tomato - practically effortless, although I’ll admit I’m never quite satisfied with my edges vs tomatoes (that’s on me, not the knife)

Sweet potato is always a challenging test, and perhaps an unfair one for a workhorse like this. However it performed better than expected, although the Wakui just giggled and danced through the cuts by comparison. Again, an unfair comparison as the Wakui is a laser and dense, hard produce is where lasers shine, however the Huber did surprisingly well overall.

Finally a carrot test using all the little mice. They all performed great; the Huber was surprisingly quiet through the cuts, no braaap, although you can see in the video it did require a little bit of force relative to the Wakui, but in line with the Markin and Willow Forge. Very similar feel to the Markin on this test.

Thank you for your review!
Happy you liked it even tho youre more into lasers :)

I mean...i'd like to try a laser nakiri one day too so i'll DM you for a test person 😂😁

It is enroute to M1K3. Big thanks to Martin for letting me experience one of his knives. Been watching his work from afar, so it was great to get one in hand. I’ll put in my 2 cents soon.

Back