Recent Work Gallery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8" chef with hamon in 1095, copper hardware, cocobolo, and black G10 liners

ZUD3HFTl.jpg

Ian, those are some really great designs. I in particular find the chef/gyuto handles with tapered front particularly interesting - how do they sit in hand? The 8" chef with copper hardware looks great.

Thank you, The knives with a tapered front provide an easier transition on the hands when using a pinch grip but have enough surface area for comfortable handling. That's my opinion and did make the knife, so I guess take it with a grain of salt? :)
The chef with copper has an lightly tapered octagonal shape that gives a similar feel to traditional wa handles in terms of shape. It's heavier because of the full tang and copper bolster so it won't feel as nimble as a wa handle, but it does balance right in front of the bolster.

Here is a knife for a KKF member in AEB-L and G10:
DvMNJ7ul.jpg

Recent full tang sujihiki in 52100:
haburnknivessujihiki2.1.JPG

Here is a short video I made for fun about the balance beam prop for photos. I designed it in Solidworks, then cut it out with my laser.

[video=youtube;AYE8RxPl43I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYE8RxPl43I[/video]

The Suji looks awesome. For the video - I hope you did not hold the camera in your hand when it was taken :eek:hmy: given the power the laser has to have ...

You have no idea how hard it was for me not to snatch that suji up even before you finished it Ian! Looks great! But I already told you that hah!

Thanks for the compliments - no I wasn't holding the camera, I don't think I could keep still that long. That and safety first! :)

I've broken a couple of turners lately, so I whipped one together with titanium and G10. We'll see how tough this rascal is.

iUKIalKl.jpg

WGHehbJl.jpg

Thank you, some specs: tip to handle is 177mm, 38mm high at the heel, and 311mm overall.

Custom sujihiki in 52100, brass, and Arizona ironwood in a D handle. 300mm blade length and 42mm at the heel.

xsZ5dMTl.jpg

XMk1hn0l.jpg

V8UoiKbl.jpg

eydZo95l.jpg

Wa handles with dovetails. African blackwood ferrules with bocote and cocobolo.

Id29Vfvl.jpg

Ian, you did great job on the suji handle.

I have not seen dovetail handles before - what is the motivation? Mechanical stability, design or both?

Ian, you did great job on the suji handle.

I have not seen dovetail handles before - what is the motivation? Mechanical stability, design or both?

The handle styles typically seen are very strong (in the complete knife assembly) and dovetails are a beastly joint, but they also look AWESOME, in my opinion. So the motivation was mostly aesthetics. Off topic, but did you ever finish that cutting board?

I just this today. OH. YA. :bliss: Am I right!?

8ImYpgQl.jpg

Back