* Remedy Damascus - $400

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I really missed the fireworks over the weekend.

To me, the Lamson dammy knife isn't a whole lot different then the Damasteel knife Pierre made. The Lamson knife is really cool steel, with questionable heat treat, grind, handle etc., while Pierre's was a great custom knife with a kinda cartoonish dammy steel. In the $400-500 price range, I would go with a Damasteel from Pierre, as the handle would be superb, the blade geometery would be first-class and the finish work would be among the best out there.

When I first saw the Damasteel knife from Pierre on the forum, I thought it might steal work from the damascus makers. But when I acutally had it in front of me, I realized there is a reason that steel is a bit less expensive then real damascus. It is just not comparible. And the fact that I had Del's pass-around in my hand when the Damasteel knife came in only served to highlight the differences.

To the potential buyers who have not had the opportunity to handle knives from some of the custom makers the Lamson knife may represent the top of the knife food chain (i.e., they were looking for a Shun, but at $250 more this knife must really be the most awesome thing ever made). But I'm sure if they decide to look more into DT damascus/ knives, etc. they will soon realize that knife just is not the same thing. Heck, I've seen damascus gyutos in the same price range a JCK.

Devin is a steel maker, and I think it's great that more people will be exposed to his work. Some of the buyers of the Lamson knife will educate themselves, and one day but one (or more) of Devin's customs. Or maybe one of Del's, or one of the other custom makers.

As far as the 'profit margin' people mention when discussing the knife purveyor in question, please keep in mind most of the 'profit' is actually his salary, covers health insurance, pays payroll taxes, etc. It seems it is viewed that every penny over his costs is just 'profit'. If he earns $100k/ yr in salary and true profit, is that really excessive for a guy who went out on such a limb to build a niche business?

Finally! Now I know what went down. I am in no way offended by any of this, but then again I am used to conflict. I do think it's amusing how people keep repeating past bad blood, and even more amusing how people so against this thread keep posting. Ahhh forums, entertainment!

I fear nothing and nobody. When you've got nothing to lose it's not hard to feel this way.

To get back on the topic of "will this compete / hurt sales from custom makers?"
I really got a good chuckle out of that one. I think that a few people have already touched on analogies along the lines of "does another TGIF hurt the bookings at The French Laundry?" or "Does ford releasing yet another "special" edition mustang really impact the development of the Hennesy Venom GT?"

Some may agrue that this knife is closer competition (at least in price) to the up coming knives from Marko and Dave, but I don't really think that that's the case either. People that are going to buy knives from Marko and Dave (like most of us here) are going to do so "irreguardless"/reguarless of what Mark is producing. What Mark is making is a different knife for a differnent customer base. Although, some of us may span those customer bases and end up with lots of differnt knives from lots of different producers.

Personally, I'm excited that we are entering a new golden age in the American knife industry/market. I think that this is part of a national trend among consumers to start to see smaller quantities of high quality durrable goods as being a better value than large piles of low quality, disposable crap.
This has also been going on with food and consumables. Example: the American craft beer industry.
I see Mark as becoming the Sam Adams of American kitchen knife micro-producers. Is he ever going to top more than a fraction of a percent of production of the "InBev's" of the global knife industry? Hell no.
However, is he also much of a threat/ going to "steal" customers away from the Surley's and DogFish Heads. LOL, are you kidding?.

If anything, I see the effect(be it unintended) of what Mark is doing as growing the market, creating more high-end customers and business for everyone, especially thoes on higher/ more boutique levels than him. How many peope do you think stumble across his site looking for a better deal on the Wusty, Henk, or Shun that they saw at SLT or WS (because as far as they know, thoes are the "best available") and then they get a glimps of what's REALLY out there? I think of a lot of what Mark sells/ produces as being "gateway knifes" that lead to the "hard stuff".

I think that this is such an immature (not just in terms of forum posts) market that there's room for everyone with skill, knowledge and a good reputation to do very well. Thoes close-minded, short-sighted fools that squander their time, energy, and reputation bashing others and pissing/shitting in their own pool are ultimately just going go be left behind to wallow in their own elite filth.
That said, I want to again make it clear that there's a very real difference between objective, fact-based(and sited) criticism and bashing something/someone because of a grudge/bad feeling and then trying to justify it/disguise an opinion as fact.

If anything, I see the effect(be it unintended) of what Mark is doing as growing the market, creating more high-end customers and business for everyone, especially thoes on higher/ more boutique levels than him. How many peope do you think stumble across his site looking for a better deal on the Wusty, Henk, or Shun that they saw at SLT or WS (because as far as they know, thoes are the "best available") and then they get a glimps of what's REALLY out there? I think of a lot of what Mark sells/ produces as being "gateway knifes" that lead to the "hard stuff".

My thoughts exactly

I am good friends with several Master Smiths and occasionally ask if they mind me copying something from one of their designs. I've never been told not to.

when it comes down to it even if I could copy a Larry Fuegen carved guard EXACTLY the people who want that style are still going to go to Larry long before me....(just as an example off the top of my head)

Back