* Remedy Damascus - $400

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? $1000 minimum for a decent custom damscus or san mai gyuto? I'm REALLY liking this forum.:biggrin:
A Custom Damascus or Sanmai starts at about 1000 USD
A Devin Thomas Custom Damascus 240 Gyuto starts at 1500 USD
A Bill Burke Custom 240 Gyuto starts at 2100 USD
A Bob Kramer Custom 240 Gyuto starts at 10000 USD

Really? $1000 minimum for a decent custom damscus or san mai gyuto? I'm REALLY liking this forum.:biggrin:

No, those are the prices for the Europeans, they can afford it ;)

Stefan

Wow, this has stirred up some stuff.

I have made steel for Buck, Case, Benchmade, Microtech, Camilus, Boker, Spyderco, Protech, Chris Reeve, William Henry, Emerson, Kershaw, Lone Wolf, Marble's, and Queen Cutlery to name a few that I can think of along with thousands of individual knife makers.

I have sold steel in many foreign countries including China, Russia, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, all European countries, and many from south America and Asia.

My primary business is patterned welded damascus steel. Lampson has been wanting to do some in damascus for some time. Lampson is the one that suggested the idea to Mark and Mark thought of me.

Lampson makes knives for lots of people and this gives me a chance to get in on some of their other projects.

This is not a custom knife but rather a factory knife made in damascus steel. I think that this will also get my name out to a new group of kitchen knife buyers.

If some of you are offended by my taking this work, please forgive me.

For those who support me in this , thank you.

Love and respect

Hoss

There is a lot of beef going around that is a little too harsh. Like I read earlier, this knife applies to a small target of consumers, so just let it be. I doubt a DT damascus Richmond knife would cut into custom makers business. If anything it will make people want to get a custom knife. At least that seems to be the way that this kind of stuff works out. Who's ever heard of someone just buying one knife and stopping....

It's not you. In this forum, the name Mark Richmownd leaves a bad taste in some peoples mouth because his previous business practice. Anything carrying his name will be met with trepidation and scrutiny.

I would buy this knife. Why? Because in my present financial state, I really can't afford a 4 figure splurge on a single knife. For $400 I can get actual DT damascus, which is the selling point of this knife. If the performance sucks, I could send it to Dave for a tune up (& he could grind off the stupid logo). Same with the handle. And I'm still within budget. And I would use it in rotation because it's not a $1000+, one-off knife.
I only own 1 damascus clad so I'm not a damascus whore. If I could justify buying a full custom at full pop I would, but I can't so this would work for me.
I'm not goinig to get one though, because I have other knife purchases in the pipeline that are higher priority and I don't need another gyuto.

What about HT on these? Is Lamson going to do it?

I think you are confusing dumping and competition. I should have used word dumping through the thread to make things more clear. I have no problem with competition either from makers or retailers like Jon.

Mark is businessman, but I don't see him taking a $50 profit on Japanese knives he is selling and giving you guys a break for all the help you gave him. By your logic, Tom, he should do just that and sell a volume, but he doesn't. (I understand there might be some price agreements, but in principle, if he wanted, he could do it).

I do have an issue with dumping and you would probably too, if it is affected your work and livelihood. I bet your company has an army of lawyers and lobbyists to address that very notion.

It's that simple. Anyway, I know enough about capitalism, so you can spare yourself a lecture. And besides, I can compete with an MD Angus burger, and if not, I will find somethings else to do.

M

Dumping implies a country is subsidizing the export of items so it that it can people out of business. Retailers sell loss leaders all the time. Pretty much every item in the ads on black friday is sold at a loss just to get people in the store. There is nothing wrong with it. However, Mark is doing neither of these things. He is selling a knives at a nice profit. 20-30 percent is pretty good when all you have to do is put it on a shelf and ship it when an order comes in from the internet. I can tell you Amazon would kill for 20 percent margin on all their goods. Newegg would kill for 10 percent on their items.

When I use to work for a different company than I do now. We sold systems to Dreamworks for 30 percent BELOW cost just to get their business. We lost 3 million just in one order.

Wow, this has stirred up some stuff.

I have made steel for Buck, Case, Benchmade, Microtech, Camilus, Boker, Spyderco, Protech, Chris Reeve, William Henry, Emerson, Kershaw, Lone Wolf, Marble's, and Queen Cutlery to name a few that I can think of along with thousands of individual knife makers.

I have sold steel in many foreign countries including China, Russia, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, all European countries, and many from south America and Asia.

My primary business is patterned welded damascus steel. Lampson has been wanting to do some in damascus for some time. Lampson is the one that suggested the idea to Mark and Mark thought of me.

Lampson makes knives for lots of people and this gives me a chance to get in on some of their other projects.

This is not a custom knife but rather a factory knife made in damascus steel. I think that this will also get my name out to a new group of kitchen knife buyers.

If some of you are offended by my taking this work, please forgive me.

For those who support me in this , thank you.

Love and respect

Hoss

Good on you and respect right back atchya! :-T

Sounds to me like THE END should have gone after that post.

-AJ

I've been thinking about this off and on all day. Sure it's typical Mark-eting at work here (we hate this) but we can be pretty sure that this will just be another full belly slab with box handle knife. Sure some folks will be fooled (and later pissed) while some will be happy as hell with it but anyone who digs a little deeper will find a better value for the price even if not as pretty looking (lacking the damascus).

Regarding Devin's role in this, how can any of us slight him? I hope nobody because the bottom line is if he feels it's good for him then who are we to say? Besides as Marko pointed out earlier in the thread Mark would (if he really wanted it bad enough) just go somewhere else for damascus anyway. Devin can't be held responsible for what someone does with his steel once it's gone out the door and his name isn't on the knives although knowing Mark I'm sure the name brand recognition is something worth paying for and to be used. Again though, I think that Devin knows what he's doing and we should respect that. I hate to see him get dragged into the mud with the pig.

Wow, I can assure you no one has ever read a single slanderous word written by Mark Richmond; and his character is in question.........

This sums it up how others benefit from people's success. A good launch by Lampson not only benefits MR, but DT also. This will broaden his market appeal/exposure and possibly take him to a new level of commercial branding. As the saying goes, "it's not personal, just business" and to reach or tap that market with enormous disposable income will do wonders for anyone's family

Wow, I can assure you no one has ever read a single slanderous word written by Mark Richmond; and his character is in question.........

Its only slander if it isn't true. A difference of perspective comes with the territory. Invasion/Expansion, Savings/Excess, Innovation/Profiteering, Harvesting/Destroying. It depends where you stand.

I stand alone, obviously. Irregardless, I am tired of reading these negative posts. I have a mind of my own, and don't need to ride on anyones bandwagon; especially one designed specifically to harm others. Keep this crap out of the forums, it is poison!!!!!!

I stand alone, obviously. Irregardless, I am tired of reading these negative posts. I have a mind of my own, and don't need to ride on anyones bandwagon; especially one designed specifically to harm others. Keep this crap out of the forums, it is poison!!!!!!

"irregardless" isn't a word btw.

It's true that Mark hasn't written anything about anyone else with quite the same bite that we've got going. I understand that there are some strong feelings based on past experience and I can relate, but there are different ways to word the same thoughts that get the point across.

I think it's actually weaseled itself into most dictionaries, where it's defined as "a fictional word used by befuddled goons who can't figure out if they mean 'irrespective' or ''regardless.'"

Lulz.

Haha. You want more censorship? Ever hear of KF and what happened to it? Maybe some could invite Mike S. to teach us some common sense?

I slept on it and today I would like to make peace with everybody. I won't take anything I said back (still convinced) but won't add more.

If I try to live by motto "live and let live" I have to put up with those who do just the opposite. I have to find a way to do better than them, and that is not a bad thing, as it forces you to innovate, improve, and explore new things. The problem with that is it all can be copied and produced for less (read imitation) and you are back at a drawing board. I love how some of us use logic to justify anything (read capitalism, businessman), but there is also a such a think as business ethics, community, loyalty (or at least respect) to people who helped you. To each his own, I suppose.

Enough of that. Back to making better knives.

M

wow this crap storm continues most likely until everyone is ruined.
the following quote is the terrible direction of things:

"I need some help. As most of you guys can verify I haven't said a bad word about anyone on this or any other forum but 2 of my competitors don't seem to share my view that such behavior is the accepted way you should treat your competition.

I'm working on collecting material that these two individuals have said about me and my business in public over the past year and would love to get some help. If you've seen anything where these 2 guys have used my name and said anything that is remotely derogatory I would love to get a link to the thread. I'm sure I'm missing stuff. If you need to know who I'm talking about please pm me.

To be honest I have enough right now to go visit with my attorney but I want as strong a case as possible before I put the hammer down.

I'm an open source kind of guy so feel free to link to stuff right here if you want. Otherwise just send me a pm. I really appreciate all the support and communication you guys have provided me up to now. Time to charge for unfair business practices. "

if feelings or businesses were hurt before this can only further batter the situation. it is not "live and let live" btw it has always been "live and let die" especially in business.

"irregardless" isn't a word btw.

"Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance."

From Webster, by the way......

:plus1: I applaud people who speak their mind (with professional restraint of course), who speak on principles, who stand up to bullying when others are afraid.

Forums will always have petty rivalries, side taking, bullying, bias reviews etc.etc. the bigger it gets. Personalities clash even through posts. Just keep on keeping on man, we need people like you too!

I don't want this sight to censor anything, but as respectable individuals we should sensor ourselves.

I want to talk about knives, not be involved in others petty quarrels! This crap is drudged up continually and is harming this community...

"I need some help. As most of you guys can verify I haven't said a bad word about anyone on this or any other forum but 2 of my competitors don't seem to share my view that such behavior is the accepted way you should treat your competition.

I'm working on collecting material that these two individuals have said about me and my business in public over the past year and would love to get some help. If you've seen anything where these 2 guys have used my name and said anything that is remotely derogatory I would love to get a link to the thread. I'm sure I'm missing stuff. If you need to know who I'm talking about please pm me.

To be honest I have enough right now to go visit with my attorney but I want as strong a case as possible before I put the hammer down.

I'm an open source kind of guy so feel free to link to stuff right here if you want. Otherwise just send me a pm. I really appreciate all the support and communication you guys have provided me up to now. Time to charge for unfair business practices. "

if feelings or businesses were hurt before this can only further batter the situation. it is not "live and let live" btw it has always been "live and let die" especially in business.

He quoted this from CKTG's subforum on ITK, for those who can't/won't get on there to see it. Sheesh.

LOL :D

Back