Roll Call for 2016 ECG (May 15)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am racing back home tomorrow night to make it to ECG , Hopefuly i see everyone on sunday . only 12 hour drive from Nashville .
well normally that would be noteworthy, but toddinmd is flying in from Cambodia for this, so you will not be up for any award except maybe a pat on the back and an 'atta boy!' :D

well normally that would be noteworthy, but toddinmd is flying in from Cambodia for this, so you will not be up for any award except maybe a pat on the back and an 'atta boy!' :D

There goes my record... ;) This should be exciting.

Stefan

All of this fish talk... anyone have a poly board they can bring to aid in the slicing? The one we have is small and pretty crappy, as most times the wife buys fillets. One of these days i have to get a reasonably-sized board for breaking down fish for her. Oh, and I have to learn how to break down the fish, too :O

Yes I'm bringing my sanituff.

I unfortunately won't be able to attend, but I will send knives to folks in attendance.

Thanks,

Marko

Thanks Marko, looking forward to trying out some of your new knives. Here are the two pork shoulders injected with a mixture of apple juice water cane sugar, salt, and Worcestershire sauce. The rub is paprika, cane sugar, salt, and other things;). I was tired so the ribs got the same rub.View attachment 31876

Attachments

• WP_20160513_21_55_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160513_21_55_27_Pro.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 108
Ugh... For some reason I thought ECG is next weekend... Sorry folks.. Will need to mail the knives to you directly instead...

SWells and I are bringing a pork rack from Autumn Olive Farms, it's beautiful. Excited for tomorrow!

Dang, they made me eat and drink all evening... :)

Stefan

I'm a once in a moon poster but full time lurker who runs a local undisclosed cutlery shop. I'll be there to check out some of the goods.

Too funny -- sounds like the opening line in a mystery novel :biggrin:

Great dinner at GPB last night. Literally tons of awesome food, plus ChucktheButhcher's mother and father came and hung out with us for the last hour. And of course the knife case capativated many in the group.

Only 2-3 hours left until all knife hell breaks loose!

Here's some quick phone pics from today. I'll have more to share once I upload from the real camera.

Again, thanks to Dave (wildboar) and his family for sharing their home to host this wonderful event!
Also a big shout out to all who took time to feed us! Some amazing foods were offered, and I even missed round 2 for dinner. I have no doubt the sous vide dry aged steaks and potato gratin will be amazing!

Met several new (to me) members here, including Ellen. Wish I could have stayed later, definitely a lot more fun to be had.

Ellen, really enjoyed meeting you and hearing your story behind the Mario knives. Really embodies what this forum should be about. I also forgot to grab one of your chili oils! I was carrying so much crap out, plus the car shuffle, just completely slipped my mind.

And I gotta give props to Dennis (muchobucho), the hardest working man at the gathering. This guy was thinning, polishing and sharpening knives for folks, plus teaching others how to sharpen. Plus all the foods he cooked/prepped!

Today was a great reminder of the amazing things this forum has to offer.

That also includes Butch Harner's ice cream.

Show down between my Tansu and the one Mert was kind enough to send for the ECG.
Utter badassery going on right here.

Butch's huge camping knife making razor thin slices of potato. And that thing is like 10am + thick! Yeah, that's now on my list.

Great to meet so many other KKF members, eat some truly delicious food, and cut with some amazing knives. Big thanks to Dave for hosting, and to everyone who brought food!

-Dan

Just adding to what has been said - Thanks to David & family for hosting us! A few random thoughts:

- a lot of people contributed work, food, knowledge and moral support, thanks to all of you for all of that.

- my personal thanks to Bill & family who were kind enough to let me stay at their place for the night.

- it was great to meet lots of new people and reconnect to some I had not seen in a while. Always amazing how familiar KKF people seem that you never met in person but probably have communicated with for years.

- as could have been expected just from seeing what these guys (and gals) have been posting over the years, the food was outstanding. That goes from beautiful raw fish to excellent and generous meat preparations. Honorable mention goes to the very nice salade nicoise, did not catch who brought that...

- it was also nice to try Son's firewater - not sure if that is a politically correct term, but it certainly describes the spirits he created.

- I probably do not need to mention the estimated $100,000 in knives that were floating around the room, available to be ogled, admired, and tested.

- for those who were there on Sat evening, there was an excellent dinner at Chuck's parents' place - thanks for organizing that. And it was a stunning experience to check out Chuck's partial knife collection displayed in the restaurant.

- I was glad that Chuck's parents joined us briefly and talked to a lot of us. Because of that, and because of Ellen being there, I felt that two great members of our community who left us in the past year were always there in spirit during this meeting, and that was nice to see.

Just an all-around pleasant weekend with very nice people, thanks to everyone!

Stefan

Thank you, thank you, Dave; you obviously put in an enormous amount of planning and effort to make the ECG outstanding! And every one else whose presence (and, in so many cases, tangible contributions -- what amazing, delicious, abundant food), made the event an unqualified success. Although it's always interesting and fun to see the knives (and stones, etc.) people bring (or send -- thanks Jon ), presenting a wonderful opportunity for others to actually use and compare them, the real treat is the warm, friendly, generous people. Reminded me of very infrequent family gatherings where one gets to talk again with, and rediscover, delightful cousins, and even meet some charming relatives for the first time. So good to see you again, "cousins" Dennis, Bill, Marc, Doug, Rick, Son, etc., and meet several more for the first time (Stefan, Joe, Ryan, Ellen, etc.).

I can't believe how much I ate, but who could resist stuff like that great pulled pork and pork belly, Dave's dry aged steak, Rick's hamachi with jalapeno, Son's sashimi, Dennis' au gratin potatoes and Doug's absolutely addictive bacon.

Yes, a big thanks to Dave for organizing and hosting. I had an awesome time, it was great to see everyone again and meet some new people. The food was amazing- a big thanks to everyone who brought something to taste. Good times indeed.

Once again I am impressed with the expertise and generosity of such a talented group of people. Thanks Dave, for hosting. I have a few photos I could post, but I have no idea how to. Is there something simple I'm missing?

Russell

Here is a short video I took at the Gathering. Should have got more footage but I was too busy having a good time. Thanks to David for hosting and to all who came out.

[video=youtube;AFGf9FlX698]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGf9FlX698&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Dag nabbit! I just wrapped up wedding planning, and hopped on the forums today to check in on gatherings after a hiatus. This was basically in my back yard. Go figure! Guess I'll be on the lookout for 2017.

I'm back in Little Rock. I had such a nice time talking to and meeting everyone!! By far the best day I've had since January. It is no surprise to me why Danny loved the forum community so much. You all are a great group of people, and I'm so grateful I got to take part [emoji4]

Special thanks to Dave for the amazing hospitality, Bill for the lift and great food, Dennis for taking care of my knives (and my memories) and Son for the hugs and hooch.

I've got to build some skills, but this is certainly the place to learn. [emoji4].

It was a true pleasure to meet every single person who was able to attend!

Three jackets and a pull-over sweater were left behind. 2 of the jackets have since been claimed. Anyone else leave a jacket down in the den, or a sweater by the coolers in the kitchen?

Hi Dave - you probably didn't see me since I flew in quite late from San Diego and couldn't stay for long but I think I may have left a whole bunch of knives there as well ... I believe (as a minimum) there were some Anderson's, at least one custom Kramer (maybe 2), a few Devin's and a couple of Rader's - can't remember what else or which types but just go ahead and package anything you find & I will gladly pay for shipping back to SD! Also I may have left a big box of JKI stones as well ... :razz:

Looks like this shindig was a resounding success!!! Very, very jealous (obviously) & great to see the pics!

TjA

Three jackets and a pull-over sweater were left behind. 2 of the jackets have since been claimed. Anyone else leave a jacket down in the den, or a sweater by the coolers in the kitchen?

Back