Roll Call for 2016 ECG (May 15)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three jackets and a pull-over sweater were left behind. 2 of the jackets have since been claimed. Anyone else leave a jacket down in the den, or a sweater by the coolers in the kitchen?

The sweater should be too large for anybody but one person ;) Will send a PM later.

Stefan

Just wanted to say I very much enjoyed my very much too short time at the gathering. Thanks to WildBoar for hosting, and Bill for his co-organizing contributions. I enjoyed meeting a number of people I've known from the forum, and also had some nice conversations with others. Really wish I had had more time to talk to everyone there, and for longer.
It was an amazing collection of knives. It was a dream come true to see and hold so many fine knives, and it helped me to get some ideas for future additions.
One thing I came away with, beyond all of our craziness about knives, there was a love of good food, and an appreciation of making connections by preparing and sharing food together. The friendliness and generosity of spirit were great to experience.

I broke a record for the first time in the 14 years i lived in united states . I never ever and i mean not even once had taken money out of an ATM while i lived here . This changed this sunday where in an effort to cover the cash for a purchase i went to not one but 4 ATM's and (finally borrowed cash from my girlfriend). That costed me time and i missed a few folks including Toddinmd that despite flying all the way from Cambodia and getting no payment left the knife behind to trusted hands and instead opted out for us to be paypal friends.(thank you sir now i have a new knife and a great story to go with it).

Well i was happy to see i was not the last guy at the party (travis was) but my return trip to Baltimore put me behind schedule . Still i had enough time to meet everyone and realize that i will be spending some money on a Billip if and when i can get on his list , a Dalman and Mert Tansu . Honestly it would had been funny if someone tried to break in the knife party.

Thanks for everyone that came out. DC sharp guys for polishing and sharpening blades. Good to see Travis and meeting the handle Meister in person after all these years in the forums , Mucho bocho , rick ,Larry ,Helen, Dave, A special thanks to Bill for all the grilling and being a really good support and to som for the wildfire booze and to everyone that came out and hanged out this past sunday , you are all part of a very beautiful community so thanks for making the trip.

Oh and Butch . Through out the years he always supported all the forum events as a maker and still makes some kick ass blades !

Three jackets and a pull-over sweater were left behind. 2 of the jackets have since been claimed. Anyone else leave a jacket down in the den, or a sweater by the coolers in the kitchen?

Is one a black Columbia fleece jacket? That would be mine.

It was nice to meet some knife enthusiasts and have the chance to sharpen some really awesome blades. Larrys Billup was really outstanding. Thanks for the invite Dave, I hope to do it next year.

Ryan, we can work out a hand-off. You were a trooper manning the sharpening station all that time. And the one knife you made that people were playing with was a real hit. And of course thanks for bringing the Kramer damascus kirutsuke!

There were 2 Kramer knives there. I finally got a chance to use one. Definitely a very cool moment

Thank you to Bill , David and Leah for being amazing hosts. Dennis for being the hardest working man in showbiz. Thank you Seth an Butch for the great liquid nitrogen ice cream. Thank you to the guys for all the lovely pork products and that kickass dry aged new York strip. Nice job on the potatoes au gratin and the Korean sushi Dennis. The Thai food and slaw were great. Oooh, can't forget the candied bacon. Thank you everyone for making welcome my two newbies. They were Amazed at how willing everyone was to teach and how generous everyone was with the use of their knives and tools. They are from NY and that was strange to them. It was a pleasure seeing old faces and new. Ellen it was my great honor to meet you. Travis, brother wish I could have spent more time talking. Stephan glad you made it. I'm glad you all liked the liquor I made, you honor me. Thank you, I had a great time as always.

There were 2 Kramer knives there. I finally got a chance to use one. Definitely a very cool moment

You can't post about using a real Kramer without at least giving some impressions especially given all the other company it is in haha!!

Pictures of the food. I'm not sure who brought the broccoli rabe or the salad. Rick brought the fish with the halapeno pepper on top, I ate two!

WP_20160515_14_21_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20160515_14_22_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20160515_14_22_33_Pro.jpg

Now the meat. The pork rib/belly was done by Seth and Taylor. It was awesome and I had some for lunch today;). I want to know what they did at the restaurant with all the pork fat that was left!

I aged the steak, Wildboar cleaned it up and portioned it, MuchoBucho vac sealed it and was in charge of the water bath, I grilled it with Kostantinos, and the beautiful presentation was done by Kostantinos. That's Wildboar's Burke by the beef, with Chris Anderson's 3 knives on the side.

WP_20160515_18_48_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20160515_15_29_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20160515_14_21_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20160515_14_22_58_Pro.jpg

On another note, Chuck the Butcher's dad sent me a very nice email and he asked that I share it so here is the quote:

"I can't tell you how much Taffy and I enjoyed talking to all of you on Saturday evening. It was really good for Taffy as she has not been able to look at Charlie's knife case as it made her so sad. Saturday was really a happy moment for her and, hopefully, from now on she will have happy memories when she looks at the collection.
Please thank everyone for coming and for their kind words as it really helped the healing process".

The picture is from the dinner and you can see they seated us next to the knife cabinet.

WP_20160514_19_48_34_Pro.jpg

Back