Knives & Stones Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura 240mm Gyuto Passaround in the US

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

the knife is with Mucho Bocho and will go to Bill13 next. Here is the list (a big thanks to Jim)

Bill13 (va)
strumke (dc)
toddnmd (md)
kostantinos (md)

mr. drinky, midwest gathering

coqavin (nj)
brainsausage (maine)
ramenlegend (oh)
daveb (fl)
dardeau (la)
zwiefel (tx)
casaluz (ca)
johnstoc (or)
pleue (or)
gavination (or)

I would say maybe after toddnmd or kostantinos, the pair of knives would go to mr. drinky for the midwest gathering before continue its journey to the great west.

marc, I am interested in the patina development ( or how reactive she is), can you snap a pic?

Here ya go. This is after lots of onions and a couple hours of prep. And yes, it is that thin

20150116_101755_zpseddbd4c4.jpg
20150116_101611_zps83f11589.jpg
20150116_101445_zpsfd3869e2.jpg
20150116_100657_zps0d410478.jpg
20150116_100306_zps6645b3c4.jpg
20150116_100208_zpsfa7164e7.jpg
20150116_100034_zps8c856d6b.jpg

Pkjames, why the knife is not indicating blue#1 or #2, but just blue?

I want to thank James again for making these beautiful knives available to the US market. I really enjoyed messing around with them.

I prefer this blade profile because they have wider more spade like tips which are unbelievably thin. Makes my Yusuke Sakai Special Thin tip look like a porka.

They slip through onions with just a whisper. Definitely mid to heavy weight knives. I estimate the spine to be around 3.5 to 4mm at handle. They're around 228mm on the edge and weigh 244g. They have a slightly blade forward balance, that easily slices carrots so thin, you can read newsprint through them, not kidding. The handles are definitely oversized in circumference but are standard length. Really nice woods and ferrule. Definitely attractive looking.

K-Tip:
I didn't use this knife as much. Carrot slicing, tomatoes, peppers and onions. They have nice flat sweep to the blade. Definitely push cut or push/pull. Great grind with generously exposed core steel.

Guyto:
First thing I noticed is the height of the blade. I didn't measure it, so I won't guess but I bet its around 50mm at the heel. The cutting edge is 228 so its nice and high for going through large or tall vegetables. Nice smooth sweep to the edge, not too flat, not too much belly.

Sharpening:
I refreshed the edge with the new Diamond Stones from JKI. With just a few light strokes, I was able to raise a burr that was effortless to remove. The 1000 then 6000 was all that was needed to get scary sharp edges. The sharpest I've felt from a blue steel. There was barely any sound when testing the edges with newsprint.

Thanks again for putting these out there James. I really enjoyed the time I spent with them.

MB

Nice write-up Dennis! Looking forward to getting my hands on these.

Pkjames, why the knife is not indicating blue#1 or #2, but just blue?

I asked Aoki-san for this. Answer is that normally blue 1 would always be "blue 1 steel" and blue 2 can be either "blue 2 steel" or "blue steel". Depends on the smith, he may chose either one.

James

I want to thank James again for making these beautiful knives available to the US market. I really enjoyed messing around with them.

I prefer this blade profile because they have wider more spade like tips which are unbelievably thin. Makes my Yusuke Sakai Special Thin tip look like a porka.

They slip through onions with just a whisper. Definitely mid to heavy weight knives. I estimate the spine to be around 3.5 to 4mm at handle. They're around 228mm on the edge and weigh 244g. They have a slightly blade forward balance, that easily slices carrots so thin, you can read newsprint through them, not kidding. The handles are definitely oversized in circumference but are standard length. Really nice woods and ferrule. Definitely attractive looking.

K-Tip:
I didn't use this knife as much. Carrot slicing, tomatoes, peppers and onions. They have nice flat sweep to the blade. Definitely push cut or push/pull. Great grind with generously exposed core steel.

Guyto:
First thing I noticed is the height of the blade. I didn't measure it, so I won't guess but I bet its around 50mm at the heel. The cutting edge is 228 so its nice and high for going through large or tall vegetables. Nice smooth sweep to the edge, not too flat, not too much belly.

Sharpening:
I refreshed the edge with the new Diamond Stones from JKI. With just a few light strokes, I was able to raise a burr that was effortless to remove. The 1000 then 6000 was all that was needed to get scary sharp edges. The sharpest I've felt from a blue steel. There was barely any sound when testing the edges with newsprint.

Thanks again for putting these out there James. I really enjoyed the time I spent with them.

MB

Thanks very much for the write up Dennis!

James

Yeah, that's probably better, please ship to the next member in line

Thanks Dennis,

James

I PM Bill13 two days ago without response. The knives are ready to ship.

James, please advise as I could ship them to the next member after Bill?

very excited and humbled to be part of this. I think this is what i am looking for in terms of a new gyuto.

Thank you Pkjames for doing all this

Update: list of the first round passaround is now fixed, folks who still want to have a test drive, please feel free to add your name to the list. The next round would start from the east coast back to the west (if there is still enough interest)

2nd round list:
cclin (CA)

I PM Bill13 two days ago without response. The knives are ready to ship.

James, please advise as I could ship them to the next member after Bill?

Argh, this is what happens when you go on vacation for a week! I'm still interested so maybe I can be put back in line wherever it makes sense.

Mucho Bocho - I checked my inbox and I don't see anything from you - don't know what happened with that:scratchhead:

Bill13, thanks for saying so about not getting my PM. I've sent some other PM too without response.

Todd told me he was picking them up at the post office today. Guess you can get them after him? They were a lot of fun.

maybe after kostantinos who is also in MD finishes, the pair goes back bill13 followed by the gathering? Should be just in time.

2nd round list update:
cclin (CA)
mkriggen (Hawaii)

This is gonna be just great . Hopefully i get to take pictures and share my observations with you.

I will keep the knife a few days and turn it around fast so that Bill13 can enjoy the blades extra time no worries.

Just received the knifes and i expect to keep them a few days and turn them to Bill13 . I will inspect them and report back hopefully with pictures once i unpack and cut something with them
:bliss:

Update: Casaluz is out of the PA, I'd put cclin into the list, since they are both in CA.

kostantinos (md)
Bill13 (va)

mr. drinky, midwest gathering

coqavin (nj)
brainsausage (maine)
ramenlegend (oh)
daveb (fl)
dardeau (la)
zwiefel (tx)
cclin (ca)
johnstoc (or)
pleue (or)