Knives & Stones Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura 240mm Gyuto Passaround in the US

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received the knifes and i expect to keep them a few days and turn them to Bill13 . I will inspect them and report back hopefully with pictures once i unpack and cut something with them
:bliss:

Thanks kostantinos, looking forward for your input ;)

Knifes are off too bill13

I will try to upload pictures this evening and write a more Full report.

Thanks

So I received the knives with some excellent packaging!!

I had never tried a K tipped so that was what I was most interested in. I already own 4 - 240 gyoto's so the flatter profile was something I was really interested in. It is about 3mm shorter at the heel and that difference is gone by the time you are about 2/3 closer to the tip. Both knives were amazing cutters :bliss:but the K tip had less stiction. I could not see any difference in the grind but the reduction in stiction was obvious. We cut up about a pound of carrots and 2 pounds of onions. We were easily getting translucent slices they were so thin. The profile on the K tipped was perfect for push/pull slicing, and light chopping.

I found the steel to be pretty reactive, maybe a little less than a shig.

The only thing I thought that could be improved on was the f&f on the handles, which was a surprise to me. The metal spacer, esp. on the gyoto, protruded past the wood. Maybe the wood shrank? The handle size was perfect as was the finish on the wood. My kids though the handles were boring, but I really liked the understated look - very elegant.

I really liked them both but I am seriously thinking of selling a gyoto to help cover the cost of getting one of these k tipped:biggrin:.

A big thanks for letting me try them out!!! I will package them up tomorrow and send them on their merry way.

Disclaimer:
Bill13 I have a rather terrible phobia with packages . I never thought that packages get any proper respect even with a big sticker on them that reads "fragile-handle with care".I just don't believe that people sometimes care enough or that there are actual systems in place that take care of things.

Bubble wrap is great despite not being friendly to the environment . Thankfully there are enough bubble wrap sources at work that i can up cycle . I am happy you appreciated the bubble wrap effort.

On to more important things.

I promised a report and i under delivered in time but bare with me as the excitement of v day quiets down and the restaurant week starts here in Baltimore.I hope this covers some questions and gives a little insight to others about this line.
sakai-takayuki-syousin-sakura-lots-2.jpg

General observations
Right out of the gate anyone handling these knives will be impressed from a visual aspect . A lot of my cooks never seen a gyuto this thin and always thought my konosuke was just beyond great. I got a lot of inquiries about these, as soon as i got them out the box.
The K-tip seemed the most impressive to me but like Bill13 mentioned i also never had one or handled one before. I too thought that both knifes F&F was great and the handles where a little bulkier than the handles i am used to. On the other hand i found them comfortable enough in long session of an hour span .The knifes OOTB where pretty sharp with a nice touch up done before they reached me .
I found both knifes cutting ability quite amazing. Well let me rephrase that. Remember that time when you upgraded to that knife that really made you smile when you sliced with it the first time shaking your head in almost disbelief of how good that feeling is? Thats the feeling , thats what i describe it like "damn this is really really nice". But lets move on and get into more things.

Lets talk business

I will start with the Gyuto . I used it in three intervals cutting a series of things . We cut a lot of onions at work thin enough and a lot of thin cut julienne . I thought the gyuto excelled in onions. Well let me rephrase that . It practically was cutting onions as if they didn't exist. The tip of the Gyuto is super thin ,foil thin as we call it . So much that i thought it might pose an issue . I am pretty sure you have to take extra care of the knife in those respects. If you work in a kitchen where everyone understands and respects tools then its ok .If not you should consider taking a job in a better kitchen because this knife demands respect and should be cleaned and babied and pampered appropriately .But cutting performance wise i had to adjust myself of how much effort i put to make a cut and honestly it was rather effortless .Amazing cutter.

We moved to the potatoes and root vegetables sections. Here the theory is make brunoise cuts rather swiftly just to see how the knife behaves and how well it responds etc. Well damn i must admit that there was no wedging whatsoever and the knife excelled in cutting anything, parsnips, carrots , butternut squash and potatoes . Now i saw some stiction in the gyuto as well but i could not care less about the stiction because it wasn't as profound or bothering to the point i would have to stop and "unglue" one from the side of the knife or something, actually it was so minimal that i was not bothered whatsoever. The knife felt very precise, where you can make a cut and have really good results . I haven't done brunoise in a hot minute but i found myself pretty damn impressed of how well the knife cuts and how good the results are.
Then i moved to another area of interest: Tomatoes. I usually quarter some dice some and slice some all in relative speed to see how the knife handles as many of you do. The slices come thin thin in vertical cuts with almost 0 effort. The slices with speed cutting came out really good and the dice really great . After tomatoes i cut herbs and shaved chives where both in chiffonade and chopping and cutting chives the knife was simply amazing.:D

The k-tip
So let me start by saying that the k tip felt awkward to me at first. But that is natural with every knife style you ever handled for the first time. Like do you remember the first time you cut with a deba ? I am pretty sure that you had to adjust to the ways the knife was meant to be used . I feel that after spending a few minutes banishing it around like a weapon i put it on the board and cut with it and it cuts like a dream as well. To me the initial cuts with a flatter profile were weird. Once you adjust your brain to the knife the knife will tune in to your tune and cut cut cut. Again Bill13 is right it is meant to push cut -it actually excels in push cutting - and or slice pull cut.
I didn't mess around with the k tip as much . I think that the knife itself was great and that the length is optimal for the style -i don't know how a 270mm ktip would be a great choice as it would be quite long-
I found it also to have minimal to no stiction issues as well .

Overall

Overall F&F: Great presentation box, packaging solid , the overall aesthetics of this brand is great. I can see the craftsmanship and care that went into this.
knife handles felt rather bulky for my acquired taste but proved very comfortable, i do agree that the metal spacers where not flush But the horn was great quality buffalo horn with light streaks that are faintly visible . The knife is nice enough rounded enough and really sharp OOTB as i received it. The knife is incredibly thin behind the edge .

Steel & geometry: I found the knife to be ok in terms of reactivity , i didn't think the knife was more reactive than others i am used to to be honest. During the testing phase i did not see any major deterioration of the edge or rolling . Overall i think these knifes have a good holding and sharpening ability , i have no solid view other than putting the edge to touch up to see how well the knife responds and i had great response . The geometry of the knife is great with the knife balancing almost right on the macho if not forward by a hair. The balance between knife and handle is good the weight of the knife seems really great but i dint get any measurements for comparison.

What else is there:
Saya. I must say that i prefer to have this knife shipped with a saya. I think that thats my only pet peeve .
Its carbon knife and really thin so appropriate care and consideration is vital. If you work in a zoo avoid carbon altogether is my opinion . If not get in line and get one of these bad boys.
Ktip made me rethink of what is the right tool for the right job . It was certainly impressive to get to use one and rather unique to me

Conclusion:

If you are on the market for a wide bevel Gyuto this is it . Amazing cutter with a great handle and performance to match the looks.I know i am gonna be sending an email soon!!

BTW i can't seem to be able to upload attachments so no pics made it into the post rather than the one James posted in a previous post.

Thanks very very much for the reviews, bill and kostantinos :D

I've been catching up on this thread, and I'd like to thank James for inserting our gathering into the list. Bill has forwarded on the knives and all is well. It will likely be a quick turnaround here as I want to get it shipped out before I go on vacation next week.

Btw, when I saw the picture of 8 knives above, I thought for a second: "Holy sh!t. Are eight knives coming? Did I misread something along the way?" :)

k.

Update:

Mr. drinky told me there is a slight bent on the regular gyuto, so I will be sending a replacement and the new pair will continue their journey. The bent one will receive a bit of refinish before it eventually end up in the paying-it-forward project :)

J.

Updated list:
ramenlegend (oh)
daveb (fl)
dardeau (la)
zwiefel (tx)
cclin (ca)
johnstoc (or)
pleue (or)
gavination (or)
redisburning(??)

the k tip is now with coqavin, whereas the regular one is bent so a replacement is going out to coqavin today. We shall be able to resume the PA once coqavin receive the regular gyuto.

Thanks for your patience.

Rdgs,
James

Hello James,
Hello All,

I know I am late to this party.
I have been lurking for some time Getting quite an education about J knives. I am really fascinated by the Sakura line Kiritsuke.
I think it is beautiful with just the right amount of "bling" ( for my taste)

I respectfully request to be added to this pass around.

I realize that I have no credentials or reputation on this form, so I offer to send to James a deposit $$ (refundable as long as I play nice)
I hope my gesture of sincerity will be well received.

I am on the West Coast ( Bend Oregon)

Thank you James, thank you all
Paul

Last edited:
updated list, l am sure the knives will eventually comeback to me:)

ramenlegend (oh)
daveb (fl)
dardeau (la)
zwiefel (tx)
cclin (ca)
johnstoc (or)
pleue (or)
gavination (or)
-second round-
MyScarGo (or)
redisburning(nc)

so who is next? Ill send them out Monday as I just received the regular gyuto and am going to give her a workout

updated list, l am sure the knives will eventually comeback to me:)

ramenlegend (oh)
daveb (fl)
dardeau (la)
zwiefel (tx)
cclin (ca)
johnstoc (or)
pleue (or)
gavination (or)
-second round-
MyScarGo (or)
redisburning(nc)

My guess would be ramenlegend

I'd love to give them a try if possible. Been really digging the look of them on your site.

update: the k-tip had its tip broken so it will probably be missing for a bit until its fixed. The regular gyuto will go to remenlegend soon.

ramenlegend (oh)
daveb (fl)
dardeau (la)
zwiefel (tx)
cclin (ca)
johnstoc (or)
pleue (or)
gavination (or)
-second round-
MyScarGo (or)
redisburning(nc)
BeerChef (va)

"the k-tip had its tip broken so it will probably be missing for a bit until its fixed"

Of course it did.... That is the very one I am so interested in!

Good thing I am further down the list so there is plenty of time to get it repaired.:knife:

Beerchef is in pa not va. Just incase that makes a difference. Siked to try these out.

hey guys, I'm still waiting to receive the knife. Coqavin said it shipped and that he was going to get me the tracking. Unfortunately, his pm's are full right now and I can't get ahold of him. I'll update when I know more.

Sorry about that just cleared it and totally forgot to send you the tracking number been slammed with work will send u pm later when I get home

OK, so there were shipping issues. Long story short, the package has been with the USPS since the 3rd and is most likely on it's way back to Coqavin.

Sorry Im really really late to the party. Chinacats gave me a heads up about this passaround at the beginning and at the time I declined the offer to participate. Ive reconsidered since then and now Im very interested. If its too late to add people to the pass around list I certainly understand, however I would greatly appreciate it if I could be squeezed in somewhere. I live in Baton Rouge, LA so a spot close to dardeau (la) zwiefel (texas) would make the most sense. Like I said, if its too late to get on the list thats fine with me. I just figured I would try.

i want to know as well? still somewhere between coqavin and ramen?

So a quick update:
1. the k tip is supposed to be fixed but I am not sure how it is going.
2. the old regular shape is bent and going to pay-it-forward but not sure where it is now.
3. the new replacement was sent to ramen but (maybe) missing in post.

:O

I will dig out my blades to see if I can afford to send another pair to the US but that would really hurt.

K-tip is with me... been slow at getting it done, as i'm doing my best to keep things as close to how they would be new as possible (and also maintain the level of fit and finish these knives have). Really great knife by the way. Probably gonna be done with it tomorrow.

also, if you want me to fix the bend in the regular one, just let me know.

Great news! Thanks Jon, I am sure it will perform better than what it was!
Was just told the bent one is looked after as well, thanks again for the offer, you are da man!

K-tip is with me... been slow at getting it done, as i'm doing my best to keep things as close to how they would be new as possible (and also maintain the level of fit and finish these knives have). Really great knife by the way. Probably gonna be done with it tomorrow.

also, if you want me to fix the bend in the regular one, just let me know.

no prob... i can only imagine trying to be on top of a passaround in australia... gotta be hard. Now that i'm a lot more caught up, if you need help with anything, let me know.

Sorry Im really really late to the party. Chinacats gave me a heads up about this passaround at the beginning and at the time I declined the offer to participate. Ive reconsidered since then and now Im very interested. If its too late to add people to the pass around list I certainly understand, however I would greatly appreciate it if I could be squeezed in somewhere. I live in Baton Rouge, LA so a spot close to dardeau (la) zwiefel (texas) would make the most sense. Like I said, if its too late to get on the list thats fine with me. I just figured I would try.

Sorry I missed this post, I'd love to add you to the 2nd round but it would be unfair for others inline already.

Update:
I will see if we can find the regular gyuto next week, if not I will post another one out with an upgraded handle and saya next week. It will be the fourth one!

J.

Back