They are here!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting - yes - definite patina from one use for me. No sharpening yet.

I love the profile of these. I've alway liked high-tip, flat profiles. Nice and triangular, that can give a blade lacking height really good knuckle clearance.

I hope this knife expands to western petty one day Pierre. ;)

Patina, eh? I haven't noticed any on mine yet. I'll take a closer look.

I just checked and mine has no patina after some pretty decent use. I have had other stainless steels patina on me before, though, so it does happen. For me it was German whatever steel and VG1. Meh.

On a side note, this knife seems to hold an insane edge for quite a while.

Ok, so I used my midtech exclusively today and decided to take it to the stones to really tune it up and bring out the best of the knife. While doing so, I looked really closely at my blade and noticed that it's still patina free. You can kinda see where my thumb sits, but that just happens. For some reason it dawned on me that CPM154 is stainless, as in "stains less". As far as stainless steels go, most powdered versions have a fairly high carbon content left, and will develop a grey dull patina over time, if left wet and warm. Is there a chance that this could be the case? The only true stain/rust proof steels are way too low in carbon content to ever even thin about using in a real knife.

Just thinkin'....

In my experience any steel will rust or patina if you give it the right environment no matter how "stainless" it is. Granted that can need to be pretty harsh for the steel to show signs. :eek2:

My mid-tech has shown no signs of patina so far.

My steel is showing quite an impressive patina on the blade face - as I was using it to slice just out of the pan chicken thighs. (think Chipotle at home) cubing of hot meat. Distinct gray patina almost the length of the knife. Look at first 50% of knife closely below. Doesn't bother me, but was surprised to see.
85jDuol.jpg

6O2BQEp.jpg

Also note, crappy ipad pictures, combined with not fully cleaned knives - but the patina didn't degrade after a good clean.

Pierre, really handsome knife! Congratulations.

I'll be tossing some more review info out after some more time with it, but so far, absolutely loving it.

For anyone interested feel free to post your impressions thoughts in the pierre/ dt midtech thread in the reviews rather than starting 5 new threads. Just an idea. I wouldn't mind at all.

Next bunch heading to Chef Knives To Go Got home today around 4:00 and rough fitted these. A little tweaking to do.

IMG_0307_zps7c062514.jpg

IMG_0305_zpsc90b6ba1.jpg

IMG_0303_zps05ad03e8.jpg

IMG_0301_zpsf48eddad.jpg

IMG_0299_zpsd8655aa7.jpg

IMG_0297_zps5e4d0200.jpg

Well I have my knife ordered and should be shipped out this week!!! :biggrin: I can't wait to get it!!

270 . . . 270 . . . 270 . . . :knife: :knife: Oh hell - might have to go with a 240 - :idea2:

Now that I've selected one I can't wait to receive it!
You're a patient man, Pierre :biggrin:

Thanks for your patience guys, I just got back home yesterday. I will get them out right away.

That's great to hear! I'm so excited to try mine that I'm bursting.

still waiting to see a western handle, I could swear I saw a picture of a load of blanks! i'd take a simple cocobolo/G10 combo
in the style of the forum/lamson project

My knife arrived and I've been thoroughly enjoying it!
Thank you, Pierre :)

You guys are lucky - can't get them in the states yet. Someone seems to be "out of stock" for weeks now. :curse:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back