Tip Dragging

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its_Raw

Reaction score
Hello! I have mentioned seeing this in another thread, but want to get some specific advice.

I have noticed some faint gouge marks in my Chocera stones from dragging the tip. Hardly noticeable once the stone is dry. I have been lightening up on the pressure a bit to see if that will help. Any other suggestions? I did notice the knife I just sharpened did not get sharpened all the way to the tip. I am guessing I was shying away from it some.

Thank you!

Raising I bet. So, what would be the right motion to get the curve up to the tip engaged properly with the stone?

Do you use a marker on the edge bevel?

If not, I would recommend giving it a try. I like red but use whatever color you like. This will help tell you what is happening at the steel/stone interface.

People have different styles but mine is to slightly rotate the edge in toward the stone (spine up) as I approach the belly and just ever so slightly raise my elbow. Hard to describe in text.

Last edited:
I do use a sharpie. I have noticed I tend to flatten out the angle at the tip which causes the bevel to get a bit wide.

You may be using too much downward pressure when you are working on the tip. I ease up the pressure significantly at the tip as the surface area you are working on is tiny compared to the rest of the apex.

Latest posts

Back