Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran a Northern Indian place for awhile. Sikh cuisine. So we did lamb and chicken and seafood. But the vegetarian stuff done well is about as good as anything I have ever eaten.

Daal/Chana. Lentils and chickpeas. So many variations. So good. Hominids have been eating small legumes for millions of years, you can't really go wrong.
Saag/Palak. For the best results (and trust me I have tried everything) use the Kroger brand reduced sodium canned mixed (turnip and collard) greens as the base. Finish with yogurt.
Ghobi (Cauliflower). Again many great variations. My favorite is probably Ghobi Lasooni. Fried cauliflower tossed in a spicy tomato glaze. The original vegan buffalo wing.
Khadi Pekora. Fried onion fritters in a bean flour batter in a yogurt curd curry spiced with curry leaves, caramelized onions, and turmeric.
Baingan Bhurta. Eggplant. Roasted/grilled/smoked pretty hard similar to Baba Ghanoush and then you make curry out of it. Outstanding.
Mushroom Matar. Peas and mushrooms in a tomato garlic coconut milk curry.

I could go on and on and on. These are the ones I make the most frequently. I would be happy alternating between these dishes and never eating meat again to be perfectly honest.

Going full vegan would be pretty tough for me. I eat a lot of milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream, etc.
Sounds really good . Yesterday had spicy eggplant, chicken red Thai Curry with jasmine rice. It was heavenly.

We still use butter in moderation, rarely ice cream made with almond milk or yogurt lactose free. Years ago had a girlfriend she had Fit for Life health food book. I read it they were down on dairy, fresh fruits & vegetables. Meats in moderation & complex carbs but not at same time as meat.

Then was overweight working Hotel Kitchen, Ice Carving business on the side
Only exercise surfing when had free time. A triathlete Co worker shamed me for being overweight got a Cannondale bicycle. He took me up Tantalus mountain I kicked his butt even with beer belly. Tantalus near Where I lived so I'd climb it almost every day. Wouldn't take much time uphill 3.75 miles. Later was riding up with a climber he said I was good climber should do Cycle to the Sun on Maui. Sea level to 10,000 feet top of Haleakala crater. Did Cycle to the Sun 1989, 1990, 1992. Ate fit for life lots of fruit smoothe, fresh salads, vegetables & complex carbs. Working full time with Ice business on the side. Doing grueling training rides climbing to top of every ridge on east Oahu. 16 hours a day heavy activity, slept like a baby at night. Never even caught a cold.

Was good miler in high school won a lot of races. Didn't know why was good middle distance runner. Found out later that had extremely low heart rate 29-32 resting pulse. Also could stay underwater freediving for very long time. That's good for surfing & climbing mountains on bicycle.

I used to eat lots of battered fried food, cheese pizza, processed food. That book was an eye opener.

Because cut out most all dairy over 30 years ago I am now lactose intolerant get upset stomach. Same with battered food. It's not only cultural in one lifetime
If you don't eat junk food for a while it's not the same as eating it all the time. Can't handle it.

After retired thought was eating half decent but blood test pre diabetic & high cholesterol. Read more books found eating lots of processed food. That was another eye opener all the crap many nations put in highly processed food. Almost everything.

We eat seafood some chicken, eggs, fresh fruits & vegetables, complex carbs. Almost no processed food at all. It's not hard grow fresh herbs, lettuce, arugala, tomatoes in garden.

I believe processed foods are bad for your health & are cause of sickness even death.

Exactly. It’s hard not to hide behind high Vol. or all that bitter crazy IPA stuff.
One of my very good friends owes a brewing company who produces 0,5% alc. IPA The struggle was real to make those brews taste good. But he succeeded and I actually enjoy drinking those, but there’s just something about a thick creamy stout that can’t be beaten. That hint of burnt caramel, cream and rich darkness. Oh boy!
I used to really like milk stouts, but they’ve been ruined by over the top dessert flavours, similar to what happened to IPA’s ☹️

Ciders are underrated
A night drinking cider exclusively is the closest I’ve ever come to shitting my pants… Not that anyone asked.

IPA is the only beer that’s worth the cost of the brain cells that any amount of alcohol kills off. Wine is an inferior product to the grapes it starts as.
I think you overestimate the tastyness of winegrapes... ;)
Fresh mozzarella needs to be made with buffalo milk. Otherwise it's useless.
My whole opinion on bland mozzarella was entirely based on the real deal buffalo mozzarella. Who knows... maybe if you actually aged it a couple of months?

I think you overestimate the tastyness of winegrapes... ;)

My whole opinion on bland mozzarella was entirely based on the real deal buffalo mozzarella. Who knows... maybe if you actually aged it a couple of months?

When we get buffalo mozzarella, it's always an import, so yeah it may be an age thing. It is also a very subtle flavour, so I can totally get how it may not be someone's thing.

Omg will drinking this beer make me as happy and attractive as the people in the advertisements???
1710572061572.png

Always liked beer. In Hawaii it's the beverage of choice. We have quite few micro breweries. Buying fresh local beer or on tap is the best. I like the Czech style fresh pilsner pale lager. Get it straight from brewery. Drank Miller Lite & graduated to Philsner Urquell. Fresh is best with beer lagers, imperial stout, dark beers. These days savor one beer a day. A six pack will last me coupe weeks
because don't drink every day. Like wines from down under. Both Australian & New Zeland have good reasonably priced wines. Also use wine both red & white in sauces. 🍺

unless you've had the real thing in England, you've not tried IPA, just some weird tasting frothy (or worse fizzy) American style stuff served to cold.
If I was in England, drinking IPA would be the last thing on my list, right after getting my teeth kicked in by a hooligan.

When we get buffalo mozzarella, it's always an import, so yeah it may be an age thing. It is also a very subtle flavour, so I can totally get how it may not be someone's thing.

Buffalo mozzarella just tastes like solidified milk to me. Which, if you want milk, might as well add some cultures and make sour cream or add a couple shots of espresso and just give me a latte.

great milk is good! I can truly enjoy a good buffalo mozzarello , fior de latte and or burrata yet I can also enjoy fresh unpasteurized non homogenized cow's organic milk. You taste the terroir, all herbs come through.

great milk is good! I can truly enjoy a good buffalo mozzarello , fior de latte and or burrata yet I can also enjoy fresh unpasteurized non homogenized cow's organic milk. You taste the terroir, all herbs come through.
I just buy the cheap moz from the supermarket ;)

Buffalo mozzarella just tastes like solidified milk to me. Which, if you want milk, might as well add some cultures and make sour cream or add a couple shots of espresso and just give me a latte.

To me I can taste something different about buffalo mozzarella. Might be the taste of confirmation bias but 🤷

When I think of solidified milk I think of rasmalai or panna cotta

have any of ypou ever tasted milk or cheese (further away) from cows/buffalo on real unspoiled grass with herbs and all?

THAT is the taste of proper bufalo mozzarello/burrata IMHO

Alpine (high altitude) cheese tastes like that too, the blistering rare Comte, Appenzeller, Bergkäse...I love it!

Traditionally mozzarella and ricotta are made and consumed on the same day.
Both loose most of their character when prepared for distribution.

It reminds me of soy milk and tofu, which taste fabulous fresh but are meh from the grocery store…

ricotta is a by-product from cheese making made to be an ingredient for other recipe's , fresh mozzarello is IMHO a product to be consumed as is.

Traditionally mozzarella and ricotta are made and consumed on the same day.
Both loose most of their character when prepared for distribution.

It reminds me of soy milk and tofu, which taste fabulous fresh but are meh from the grocery store…
For sure. My fave Mozz by far was the stuff we made in house.

Last edited:
Back