Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You aren't in skinny enough water then. Jon boats can get skinny but they SUCK to paddle, and the wind can really ruin your day. Canoes can carry more cargo and tend to before stable than kayaks so I really enjoy them for river camping trips. A canoe can navigate rapids that'd make my starfish pucker trying to take a jon boat through. Navigating intercoastal tidal creeks is nice in them as well, though there plenty of skiff options for stuff like that that are basically upgunned canoes.

I've got a 1970 Grumman 17' canoe that is a beast, it's surprisingly fast even loaded down with 2 people and a bunch of camping stuff+beer. I strapped a 2.5 hp outboard on it with a side mount to make it more fun for exploring big distances. Many of our springfed rivers are only accessible by canoe/kayak as well.

View attachment 308823
View attachment 308824
View attachment 308822
View attachment 308818

View attachment 308815

For my "real" boat I got a Gheenoe knock off (Riverhawk B-52) that's basically an upsized fiberglass canoe with a flat back. Strapped a 20 hp on there and she'll 30 mph in 6" of water. But it still isn't very fun to paddle, so a push pole or trolling motor are necessary. Still good for duck hunting or sneaking through shallow intercoastal areas but is much more stable.

View attachment 308819
View attachment 308820

I got me a carbon We-no-nah single seater (affectionately called the Tor-pe-doh) and then moved to the desert and sold my little Mazda pickup.

Hard to put it on toppa the Honda hatchback.

They make cuuute light canoe trailers. Might have to sell some cutlery though.

I got me a carbon We-no-nah single seater (affectionately called the Tor-pe-doh) and then moved to the desert and sold my little Mazda pickup.

Hard to put it on toppa the Honda hatchback.

They make cuuute light canoe trailers. Might have to sell some cutlery though.
A carbon nü! Fancy pants. I got a solo canoe hybrid with a kayak seat plunked in it, best of both worlds really.

My coworker has a Fit and I'm always astounded at just how much stuff can fit in that car. My old CRV was like that too, before they made the rear too aerodynamic and robbed 1/4 of the cargo space. Thing looked funny as hell with a canoe bigger than the car strapped to top

A carbon nü! Fancy pants. I got a solo canoe hybrid with a kayak seat plunked in it, best of both worlds really.

My coworker has a Fit and I'm always astounded at just how much stuff can fit in that car. My old CRV was like that too, before they made the rear too aerodynamic and robbed 1/4 of the cargo space. Thing looked funny as hell with a canoe bigger than the car strapped to top
So long as your paddle is asymmetric!

You aren't in skinny enough water then. Jon boats can get skinny but they SUCK to paddle, and the wind can really ruin your day. Canoes can carry more cargo and tend to before stable than kayaks so I really enjoy them for river camping trips. A canoe can navigate rapids that'd make my starfish pucker trying to take a jon boat through. Navigating intercoastal tidal creeks is nice in them as well, though there plenty of skiff options for stuff like that that are basically upgunned canoes.

I've got a 1970 Grumman 17' canoe that is a beast, it's surprisingly fast even loaded down with 2 people and a bunch of camping stuff+beer. I strapped a 2.5 hp outboard on it with a side mount to make it more fun for exploring big distances. Many of our springfed rivers are only accessible by canoe/kayak as well.

View attachment 308823
View attachment 308824
View attachment 308822
View attachment 308818

View attachment 308815

For my "real" boat I got a Gheenoe knock off (Riverhawk B-52) that's basically an upsized fiberglass canoe with a flat back. Strapped a 20 hp on there and she'll 30 mph in 6" of water. But it still isn't very fun to paddle, so a push pole or trolling motor are necessary. Still good for duck hunting or sneaking through shallow intercoastal areas but is much more stable.

View attachment 308819
View attachment 308820
Okay! I’m big enough to admit when I’m wrong. That do look awesome.

(In the 70’s when evolution left it. JK! Sorry 😂) Didn’t mean that last part.

Yea but then you reduce the maneuverability of the tip/edge so the gyuto can only chop like a Nakiri

Ever try to skin a watermelon or canteloupe or orange with a tall gyuto or Nakiri? Going around the curves feels really bad to me

Okay but those are pretty specific use cases. I peel oranges by hand and rarely feel the need to peel a whole melon. If I did I'd use my sujihiki regardless of available gyutos or nakiri's.

And besides, I think you were talking more about cutting motions. Whish is why I say I do all the same with a nakiri as I do a gyuto. You can rock chop quite effectively with a nakiri, even the kaku (square tip) ones allow for some. Not as much height for it but that is true of shorter gyuto and santoku as well.

I can fine dice garlic with a nakiri just as well as I can with gyuto.

I'm not picking at you, I just think a lot of people have this idea that a nakiri is a one-trick pony and it just isn't.

Okay but those are pretty specific use cases. I peel oranges by hand and rarely feel the need to peel a whole melon. If I did I'd use my sujihiki regardless of available gyutos or nakiri's.

And besides, I think you were talking more about cutting motions. Whish is why I say I do all the same with a nakiri as I do a gyuto. You can rock chop quite effectively with a nakiri, even the kaku (square tip) ones allow for some. Not as much height for it but that is true of shorter gyuto and santoku as well.

I can fine dice garlic with a nakiri just as well as I can with gyuto.

I'm not picking at you, I just think a lot of people have this idea that a nakiri is a one-trick pony and it just isn't.

I think my main point was that having more height on a gyuto makes it less effective as an all-rounder pick, which is illustrated by the point that you’d choose a suji instead - not to say that you couldn’t do most jobs with almost any knife

I think my main point was that having more height on a gyuto makes it less effective as an all-rounder pick, which is illustrated by the point that you’d choose a suji instead - not to say that you couldn’t do most jobs with almost any knife

But I did say I would use one in place of a gyuto or nakiri.

There really are very few tasks I use a gyuto for that a nakiri is not equally suited.

Hawaiian Pizzas appear popular in Singapore. Life is good.
IMG_9863.jpeg

IMG_9894.jpeg

Most of it is mass produced, underfermented, sugared sweetened crap. A nice Normandy Cidre or a Scrumpy on the other hand, now we're talking.
Or the flat stuff in a milk jug you find on a table at the side of the road next to a farm with an honesty box.

Pure rocket fuel (did I tell you about that time I nearly shat my pants?) 👌

Or the flat stuff in a milk jug you find on a table at the side of the road next to a farm with an honesty box.

Pure rocket fuel (did I tell you about that time I nearly shat my pants?) 👌
I think the old Devon farmer who let my parents park the caravan in one of his fields for the long summer hols (parents were in education) used to alternate diesel storage and scrumpy fermentation. Now that stuff tasted foul. Good thing I was underage, otherwise I might have been permanently blinded.

Back