Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quite enjoy blanched in salted chili water then tossed in herb&shallot oil and grilled with heavy char. throw some fried garlic chips on top. take it another level with preserved lemon aioli.
🤣
Fair enough, that sounds very extra but probably worth it 🫡

The best part of broccoli is the stem.
A man in a bar orders a very dry martini. He belts it back, then methodically, totally focused, nibbles at the glass down to the stem with soft crunching sounds. He orders another and engages in the same ritual, completely oblivious to his surroundings.

As he places the eighth glass stump onto the bar, the bartender, who cannot take any more of this in silence, leans toward one of his more reliable customers and breathes “will you look at that … ?”

The customer turns one eye toward the bartender, then the other. “I know, huh!” avers the alcoholic, a little too loudly. “Shtem’za bes’ part!”

Footnoting re plastic boards…

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/plastic-cutting-boards-shed-microplastics/

WAF just went up for that custom end-grain, get it now before prices jump!
This is actually why I haven't jumped on the hasegawa / asahi bandwagons either. My rule of thumb for future board purchases is basically 'only buy it if you wouldn't mind eating the material'. It's pretty much unavoidable that some part of the medium you're cutting on ends up in your food. Serrated knives just do it a lot more.

You would eat glued up end grain boards? Talk about a diet full of fibres
As long as it's in fine small pieces.
And I'm calling it now: it's only a matter of time before someone starts making cutting boards glued up with animal glue to have a fully 'organic' board.
Just don't put anything hot on it...

My Hasegawa is protein only.
Raw one side; cooked on the other...

Veggies are cut on hinoki.
Bread is cut with a serrated knife only on wifey's Epicurean board.

I doubt many people who buy a Hasegawa board ever think about using a serrated knife on it. I have an end grain board for chopping and serrated knife work.
I do have a couple end-grains from the Boardsmith, but don't use serrated knives on them. Cheap Martha Steward bamboo is my bread board.

I do have a couple end-grains from the Boardsmith, but don't use serrated knives on them. Cheap Martha Steward bamboo is my bread board.
One of the reasons I really like the MAC Superior bread knife as it has a 'wave' type of serrations with no sharp teeth, so it does not wreak quite as much havoc on a cutting board as most other bread knives do. I use mine on our 'better' end grain cutting board without any relevant damage over several years.

Don't comment on edge retention if you've only used a knife a little bit in a home setting......
Hear hear. I never comment on that unless it’s atrociously bad. I’ve got like 25 gyutos. I’m lucky if they see as much action in a year than what it woild see in a pro environment in a day.

Hear hear. I never comment on that unless it’s atrociously bad. I’ve got like 25 gyutos. I’m lucky if they see as much action in a year than what it woild see in a pro environment in a day.
Having too many knives is really the main problem here. I was able to make some comparison in edge retention when I had maybe 2 or 3 good knives. But now that I have more it has become problematic.

Back