What *else* are you "into?" Cars? Guitars? Watches? Audio? Whatever?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gearbox is sublime.
If you want a car to be an investment the key was to choose carefully. Aircooled Porsche and vintage Ferrari have skyrocketed. I sold my 993 for twice what I paid 10 years earlier. Obviously condition is paramount. American muscle hasn't faired quite so well which means bargains can still be had.

Pick things that people who will be alive when you want to exit like.

I suspect there's considerably more passion for 90s Japanese cars and anything German than American muscle cars amongst folks who weren't alive when those cars were either new or at the very least in the movies. From the folks I know in my age range who are into cars, if you have the money it's BMW M/Audi RS and if not then Subaru.

The wife and I are massive BMW fans and have been fortunate enough to own 4 over the last 4 years. I love watching YouTube reviews with a particular interest in Joe Achilles videos.
2019 125i
2020 X2 M35i
2022 220i
On Monday we picked up a 2023 M2, he’s at the detailers now getting some love, ready for this Saturday 👍

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpeg
    IMG_0219.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
If Victorinox or Morakniv made cars, I'd buy theirs. Second-hand. As long as the thing has 4 functioning wheels, a working engine, a roof that doesn't leak and fuel consumption that isn't too unappealing I couldn't care one iota. Literally the only thing I'm looking for when I eventually have to replace my current car is a tow hook.
To me cars has always seemed like a hobby that has one of the most atrocious cost to fun ratios of all hobbies.... not to speak of the environmental impact.
In that sense stuff like knives and cooking are shockingly cheap hobbies by comparison.

Last edited:
To me cars has always seemed like a hobby that has one of the most atrocious cost to fun ratios of all hobbies....
The ratio can vary widely. Do you like to make it look boy-racer, yet only drive it on the street? That's a high ratio. Do you like to put grippy tires on and higher friction brake pads, and flog it on the track? That's a higher cost, but lower cost:fun ratio.

Also, fun is where you create it. Plenty of opportunities to have fun driving unless you are fully locked into being in a major city and never leave the boundaries.

it's like cooking -- it can suck when you do not know what you are doing. But once you learn techniques, it's a lot more creative and fun.

The ratio can vary widely. Do you like to make it look boy-racer, yet only drive it on the street? That's a high ratio. Do you like to put grippy tires on and higher friction brake pads, and flog it on the track? That's a higher cost, but lower cost:fun ratio.

Also, fun is where you create it. Plenty of opportunities to have fun driving unless you are fully locked into being in a major city and never leave the boundaries.

it's like cooking -- it can suck when you do not know what you are doing. But once you learn techniques, it's a lot more creative and fun.
I think what plays a role is also where I live... here in the Netherlands there are very few roads that are actually interesting or fun to drive. So driving is little more than a form of logistics. Even when you go across the border to Germany... sure driving high speed on the autobahn gets you where you need to go faster but I never found it particularly exciting; whether you're just 'staying between the lines' at 120 or 200 kmh... it's largely the same.

What I actually found really fun and interesting to drive was mountain roads... but it's not like Switzerland is around the corner. Closer to me the Ardennes has some places that are nice too, but that's still quite a while away from me.
But even there I guess I'm one of those people who enjoys the type of road more than the vehicle.

I enjoyed mountain roads regardless of whether I was driving a fun speedy hatchback, a big fat heavy volvo, or a packed minivan with 9 people in it. I might have actually had the most fun in the minivan on snowy roads when we were skating on wheels because we were so cheap we rather kept the snow chains in the packages so we could get the 30 euros back for them. :D

Right -- the turns/ curves are what makes it fun. Autobahn is boring as heck. A1 in Italy is more exciting, as people seem to drive 5-wide when there are only 3 lanes. That is much more entertaining.

But a curvy/ twisty road is fun in almost any vehicle. They key is to get it near the edge or it's performance envelope. Some crappy old econobox cars were my favorite to drive at work because they they were dancing in the curves at moderate speed versus my 'sports sedan' which generally stays glued unless you venture well into illegal speed territory.

The wife and I are massive BMW fans and have been fortunate enough to own 4 over the last 4 years. I love watching YouTube reviews with a particular interest in Joe Achilles videos.
2019 125i
2020 X2 M35i
2022 220i
On Monday we picked up a 2023 M2, he’s at the detailers now getting some love, ready for this Saturday 👍

i've been a BMW guy. My wife had a 2002 when I met her. I got a 325iT wagon (e46) with a 5speed and the ZSP sports package in RWD, alpine white over beige. It was a car that was ordered by BMW corporate and found its way to a local dealer as a CPO.
Amazing fun and functionality. Got the same car in Topaz blue over black and did some subtle upgrades including an aftermarket exhaust and upgraded Koni-Eibach suspension.
I had a 440i Gran Coupe that was a surprisingly comfortable, practical and flat out fast car, though not nearly as fun as either of the wagons.

Got a 997 911 last year and it makes me smile every time I get in it. I've done autocross and some the legendary backroads of the east, but it makes a trip to Home Depot a thrill.

It has been a long time since I found driving intrinsically fun. Love fast cars, really do. But with the right tunes or the right person in the car with you, any drive can be fun. Driving home from work in an M3 in traffic alone? Boring af.

Oh also Avincent you got me buddy I purchased an Xotic XTC-AH2 (the double esquire) and it should be here next week.

I love the custom color Strats:
Sonic Blue!
Shell Pink!
And is that Sherwood Green vintage or just a nice Custom Shop?

But I do think you're totally missing a Telecaster, my friend.

tele-oral-history-feature@1400x1050.jpg

I am old school, I write on paper and I have recently re-discovered fountain pens again:

46779914ot.jpeg

F.l.t.r.: 2x TWSBI, 3x Sailor, 2x Kaweco
I never understood how fountain pens suddenly became popular again. For some reason we had to use them during the first few years in the lower school and I was walking around with blue hands half the time. Always found them an archaic annoyance we were forced to put up with as some right of passage until we finally moved on and were allowed to use simple ballpoints and fineliners. Never felt an iota of desire to go back to fountain pens. :D
Admittedly it's not like I do much writing in the first place; it's basically shopping lists and recipes.

I never understood how fountain pens suddenly became popular again. For some reason we had to use them during the first few years in the lower school and I was walking around with blue hands half the time. Always found them an archaic annoyance we were forced to put up with as some right of passage until we finally moved on and were allowed to use simple ballpoints and fineliners. Never felt an iota of desire to go back to fountain pens. :D
Admittedly it's not like I do much writing in the first place; it's basically shopping lists and recipes.
In German we have a word called „Anwenderfehler“ which translates as user error. I wrote with a fountain my whole school life and I never had blue hands. 😂

But yeah, after school I have used ballpoints and fine liners more than my fountain pen. I still have that Pelikan fountain pen I used in school, it was a gift from my mom in the 90s I guess.

Inhave the
I am old school, I write on paper and I have recently re-discovered fountain pens again:

46779914ot.jpeg

F.l.t.r.: 2x TWSBI, 3x Sailor, 2x Kaweco
I have one raw aluminium kaweco like yours.
I first saw a kaweco fountain pen on a manufaktum shop and I didn't like it. Some months later I bought a plastic one, and some time later the raw aluminium one.

Inhave the

I have one raw aluminium kaweco like yours.
I first saw a kaweco fountain pen on a manufaktum shop and I didn't like it. Some months later I bought a plastic one, and some time later the raw aluminium one.
We share pretty much the same experience except the plastic one which I skipped. I went for the raw aluminum one right away. And then the purple one.

-Photography: My day job is in a photography store and even though the interest itself has its ups and downs I've been into it for many, many years.

-Coffee: Started a couple of years ago and I can't drink any typical "store bought" coffee anymore. Light roasts from small roasters is what I prefer and I enjoy tasting new stuff. This week I've had some incredible coffee from Burundi and Congo that both were really nice!

-Music: Been playing different instruments all my life, but I haven't been in a band in years. Perhaps it's time to change that soon?

I wish I had the space, time and money for cars! Loved them all my life, but I can't get into it in my current situation.

Right -- the turns/ curves are what makes it fun. Autobahn is boring as heck. A1 in Italy is more exciting, as people seem to drive 5-wide when there are only 3 lanes. That is much more entertaining.

But a curvy/ twisty road is fun in almost any vehicle. They key is to get it near the edge or it's performance envelope. Some crappy old econobox cars were my favorite to drive at work because they they were dancing in the curves at moderate speed versus my 'sports sedan' which generally stays glued unless you venture well into illegal speed territory.
I never really understood the attraction to superfast cars in the US, since the speedlimits are quite real, roads pretty poor and many drivers even worse. Some of my collegues who relocated to the East Coast ended up buzzing around in an M3 or M5 at 55mph....yikes

I find driving real fast (as in > 200km/h) on the Autobahn great fun as it requires utter concentration focussing on predicting what the present traffic will do and looking out for bends that actually get quite different than you'd think at lower speeds. Problem is that there is mostly far too much traffic nowadays to be able to do longer stretches at speed and there are tons of restricted stretches and plenty poor drivers. I did have most fun on the BAB in the S6 I drove for a few years.

Driving in Italy is similar, it requires utter concentration as with driving in Belgium.....but for very different reasons ;-)
Mountain roads are fun indeed, and in the right car any B road gets can become exciting (f.e. a lotus elise).

I'm into coffee (home roaster) and tinker a bit with my audio.

I never really understood the attraction to superfast cars in the US, since the speedlimits are quite real, roads pretty poor and many drivers even worse. Some of my collegues who relocated to the East Coast ended up buzzing around in an M3 or M5 at 55mph....yikes

I find driving real fast (as in > 200km/h) on the Autobahn great fun as it requires utter concentration focussing on predicting what the present traffic will do and looking out for bends that actually get quite different than you'd think at lower speeds. Problem is that there is mostly far too much traffic nowadays to be able to do longer stretches at speed and there are tons of restricted stretches and plenty poor drivers. I did have most fun on the BAB in the S6 I drove for a few years.

Driving in Italy is similar, it requires utter concentration as with driving in Belgium.....but for very different reasons ;-)
Mountain roads are fun indeed, and in the right car any B road gets can become exciting (f.e. a lotus elise).

Time and a place for everything. Saying roads in the US are pretty poor is not a valid blanket statement (coming from someone who lives in the northeast US). We have great scenic highways, mountain passes, coastal drives, all of which can be an amazing experience if traveled at the right times. Horrible roads that rival cobblestone definitely exist in some areas, but that’s not where you attempt to enjoy driving. We have tracks, car shows, fundraising rallies, etc.

Fast cars are not just about driving at 3x the speed limit. Look, feel, and exhilarating sounds differentiate them from an appliance. You either appreciate the engineering marvel and connection with the machine or not, each their own.

My rs3; I unlock the car and before I open the door the fuel system greets you with a whine to begin priming the system, once in the car the fuel pump continues to hum. Power on, valves open, ignition on and the car bursts alive. Gentle vibration throughout the cabin as the rpms begin to settle, notes out of the back that you can feel in your chest. Driving is smooth and deliberate, no fuss rocket ship. Foot down and you hear the spaceship like woosh of a turbine as massive amounts of air are sucked through the engine bay, a 5 cylinder symphony from the tailpipes as you’re pressed into your seat at 1.5g until you decide to let off the pedal. If you want to be quiet you enter comfort mode, close the valves and it’s a luxury sedan again. It’s an experience.

My civic; I get in, turn the key, and have an uninspiring/mundane drive to whatever destination.

Last edited:

Not all our roads are pothole filled.
And we have race tracks. With days for amateurs even!

Fast cars are not just about driving at 3x the speed limit. Look, feel, and exhilarating sounds differentiate them from an appliance. You either appreciate the engineering marvel and connection with the machine or not, each their own.
I agree, they are much better appreciated idling in third gear listening to the thunder from the custom akrapovich exhaust in every tunnel ;-)

My motto is 'drive it like you stole it', fast cars IMO are made for performance not for the theoretical ability to perform. Engines like the V10 they put in the RS series for a while need to be driven at or they coal up.

I've driven around the US a fair bit, for sure there are great mountain roads and scenic byways

Not all our roads are pothole filled.
And we have race tracks. With days for amateurs even!
all of them, let;s move my post to the unpopular opinion thread ;-)

( I loved the roadtrip driving from Denver to Salt Lake, first snow in the Rockies...stunning scenery, but the roads, dunno)

Sounds like a 'them' problem. I have zero issues exceeding 55 mph on the DC-area highways unless traffic is really bad. Fun is where you make it, and it's possible to make plenty of bursts of it when driving locally. :dancingchicken:
My civic; I get in, turn the key, and have an uninspiring/mundane drive to whatever destination.
Obviously you need a bigger exhaust pipe and rear wing, and a lot more negative camber.

Sounds like a 'them' problem. I have zero issues exceeding 55 mph on the DC-area highways unless traffic is really bad. Fun is where you make it, and it's possible to make plenty of bursts of it when driving locally. :dancingchicken:

Obviously you need a bigger exhaust pipe and rear wing, and a lot more negative camber.
#BumpStopsAsSprings

Old tool collecting, blacksmith, woodworking, logging, natural whetstones, self bow making which is cutting down trees and making bows out of them.
Just normal common hobbies.

Back