what food do others LOVE but you don't?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheap wines?

there are some amazing wines out of Italy, Spain, Argentina that are so so affordable and delicious. I kinda feel that most countries aren't so boojie-attitude towards wine and it is just a regular drink for them.
I haven’t met a South African red I didn’t like.

In ‘84 ex and I traveled to Chile and Argentina. The wines were phenomenal and cheaper than dirt. We took a coupla bottles with us, but they tasted somehow mute and thin, not at all like they were down there. It was as if their souls got planed off against the ridge of the Andes as we flew north.

Chileans have come up in price as importers shipped them with temperature control, but I cannot find that simple juicy joyous quality I recall.

I haven’t met a South African red I didn’t like.

In ‘84 ex and I traveled to Chile and Argentina. The wines were phenomenal and cheaper than dirt. We took a coupla bottles with us, but they tasted somehow mute and thin, not at all like they were down there. It was as if their souls got planed off against the ridge of the Andes as we flew north.

Chileans have come up in price as importers shipped them with temperature control, but I cannot find that simple juicy joyous quality I recall.
local Sicilian 'house wines' have this

I can actually eat and enjoy anything, if it's prepared well.

For example, I dislike cottage cheese. But if I add good olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh homegrown tomatoes and basil. And put it on some toast, it's great!
Also, I really dislike overcooked waterboiled broccoli, but if I put it in a curry where I leave it al dente, it's amazing.

So yeah there isn't really anything I can think of that I dislike in each and every way.

I can actually eat and enjoy anything, if it's prepared well.

For example, I dislike cottage cheese. But if I add good olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh homegrown tomatoes and basil. And put it on some toast, it's great!
Also, I really dislike overcooked waterboiled broccoli, but if I put it in a curry where I leave it al dente, it's amazing.

So yeah there isn't really anything I can think of that I dislike in each and every way.
Now that you mention it, if olives had little folded up $100 bills inside them, I’d probably enjoy them a lot more.

By now I've had them in about every which way possible, and my verdict is the same ;-)
It sounds like you’ve tried Brussels sprouts a bunch of ways, which I salute. There are several foods that I love now that I tried periodically over a long time before I understood/liked them. We change in other ways as we mature, why wouldn’t our tastes change, or broaden?
Anyway, here’s another chance:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/last-chance-to-like-brussels-sprouts-recipe.70784/

I don’t care for small chopped up meat pieces in a bread in any form, do a whole piece or meat patty, Kebab is bomb tho
Not even tacos? I have had some phenomenal Mexican street food. Lots of salsa, avocado, sour creme, cilantro, lemon juice, raw onions.... and chopped up meat pieces. Heaven with a nice chilli sauce accompaniment.

Not even tacos? I have had some phenomenal Mexican street food. Lots of salsa, avocado, sour creme, cilantro, lemon juice, raw onions.... and chopped up meat pieces. Heaven with a nice chilli sauce accompaniment.
I do like fish and shrimp tacos, but more minced meat taco just don’t do it for me, I don’t hate them, I will eat them with friends but probably not seeking them out on my own. For me the texture is kind off with so many small bites, in something like Rou jia Mo the puffy steamed bun kind provide a contrast for stewed meat but not in tortilla

I think my hate list is pretty short. I like most stuff well enough, or at least it doesn't bother me. I can even eat pineapple on pizza, even if I don't enjoy it.

But these are the bad ones.

Pasta salad. I've had it every which way and it's just a gross thing to do to pasta in my book.

Cooked carrots. I'm kind of amazed these are regarded as food.

Chili rellenos. They sound like they'd be good, but they never are, at least to me.

Sea cucumber. Tastes like eating a lizard, but with grosser texture.

Chili rellenos. They sound like they'd be good, but they never are, at least to me.
This is one of my all time favorite things, but I gotta be real: it is frickin *so* hard to find a version anything close to what it's supposed to be. Not suggesting you haven't had the good good of course, but if all I'd ever had were the greasy Americanized canned Ortega chili wrapped in a brown scrambled egg and drowned in "enchilada" sauce, I'd have given up years ago. 😂

This is one of my all time favorite things, but I gotta be real: it is frickin *so* hard to find a version anything close to what it's supposed to be. Not suggesting you haven't had the good good of course, but if all I'd ever had were the greasy Americanized canned Ortega chili wrapped in a brown scrambled egg and drowned in "enchilada" sauce, I'd have given up years ago. 😂
I didn't even know canned poblanos existed 🤣

I didn't even know canned poblanos existed 🤣
No no, they use these awful things, stuff them with cheddar, roll them in a burned omelet, and then usually dump canned enchilada sauce on them. Like, even in Mexican/American restaurants. It's an endless journey of disappointment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240315_174552_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240315_174552_Firefox.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 0
No no, they use these awful things, stuff them with cheddar, roll them in a burned omelet, and then usually dump canned enchilada sauce on them. Like, even in Mexican/American restaurants. It's an endless journey of disappointment.
Eww! There'd be a revolt if any actual Mexican restaurant used those here.

Raw tomatoes.

HHC has an established and well-deserved reputation for being correct about an awful lot of things. But this perhaps might even be his finest, most perceptive and insightful hour.

Raw tomatoes are effectively inedible. The only reason people think they like them is that they can sometimes be quite sweet, and sugar tricks the brain into thinking they're less awful than they actually are.

It is entirely unsurprising that when tomatoes were first brought back to Europe - everybody just assumed they were poisonous. And simply refused to eat them for a few hundred years, until the Italians got round to inventing pizza...

Screenshot 2024-03-16 033946.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-16 034115.jpg

Last edited:
I do like fish and shrimp tacos, but more minced meat taco just don’t do it for me, I don’t hate them, I will eat them with friends but probably not seeking them out on my own. For me the texture is kind off with so many small bites, in something like Rou jia Mo the puffy steamed bun kind provide a contrast for stewed meat but not in tortilla
Oh, honeybabe.
Carnitas.

HHC has an established and well-deserved reputation for being correct about an awful lot of things. But this perhaps might even be his finest, most perceptive and insightful hour.

Raw tomatoes are effectively inedible. The only reason people think they like them is that they can sometimes be quite sweet, and sugar tricks the brain into thinking they're less awful than they actually are.

It is entirely unsurprising that when tomatoes were first brought back to Europe - everybody thought they were poisonous. And simply refused to eat them for a few hundred years, until the Italians got round to inventing pizza...

View attachment 308464
View attachment 308463

It is entirely unsurprising that when tomatoes were first brought back to Europe - everybody just assumed they were poisonous. And simply refused to eat them for a few hundred years, until the Italians got round to inventing pizza...

View attachment 308464
View attachment 308463
How probable do you think all those Europeans just never ate a ripe tomato?

Of course they didn’t Mike! As it says above they were living in fear of the damned things.

Any time a tomato bush sprung up it would have been ruthlessly hacked down before the fruit could ripen, and burnt upon a pyre. Lest any poor innocent child was attracted to its pretty, but deadly, red berries.

pomo d'oro, is not the same as red apple, so highly likely IMO, and enough raw unripe tomatoe will give you a stomach ache. They are family of the potatoe, in the nightshade family. Potatoes did not go over well either, until folks understood what part to eat and how.

It sounds like you’ve tried Brussels sprouts a bunch of ways, which I salute. There are several foods that I love now that I tried periodically over a long time before I understood/liked them. We change in other ways as we mature, why wouldn’t our tastes change, or broaden?
Anyway, here’s another chance:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/last-chance-to-like-brussels-sprouts-recipe.70784/
I try them every year, to see if my taste has changed....
I did the same with 'nieuwe haring' and that I'm actually starting to like enough to eat it once or twice a year.

I like most foods prepared well and can’t think of any common food that disgusts me, but here are a few I’m not a fan of generally:
  • Raw mushrooms
  • Common radish, raw
  • Peas, fresh cooked, served plain or as high proportion of dish
  • Most cured meats in the US
  • Pineapple on pizza :)
Here are a few I consider boring and avoid, but don’t necessarily dislike… maybe controversial:
  • French fries
  • Potatoes, in general
  • Pasta (admittedly I liked it in Italy so maybe just the boxed stuff in the US is boring)
  • White bread

Our tomatoes down here in Florida are pretty meh, but I fondly remember the tomatoes from my childhood in New Jersey. Tomato sandwiches with just salt, pepper, and mayo… 😋 even the fresh picked ones from my uncle’s garden in PA were to die for. As for early settlers thinking they’re poisonous, well, we would’ve thought any number of plants from back then were either toxic or unpleasant before man had a chance to intervene.

“The original tomatoes looked more like berries with large seeds inside and Europeans were initially reluctant to taste them because they looked like some poisonous plants that they were used to avoiding.”

I've met a lot of people that think they hate Brussel sprouts largely due to the fact that the only way they've had them is boiled the way their mom or grandma prepared them. This is the culinary equivalent of eating a fart. If this describes your experience with them, I implore you to try them roasted or sautéed where at least parts of them develop color/texture/flavor from a bit of charring, make sure they are well seasoned with salt and pepper. Bonus, hit them with a little balsamic or lemon juice right at the end before serving.
Tried them roasted/ pan roasted a few different ways, including a one by a KKF chef in the area. The result is a tasty, crunchy, flavorful exoskeleton with an interior consisting solely of fart.

Back