what food do others LOVE but you don't?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point of view on Brussels sprouts is that they need some offsetting seasoning and umami, to make things less cabbagey. Bacon kind of works. Caramelization kind of works. But my favorite is a Barbara Tropp recipe from her Modern Art of Chinese Cooking, in which the sprouts are trimmed, steamed to tenderness (and not a minute longer), then stir-fried with toasted black sesame seeds and finely chopped country ham and Sichuan pepper-salt, with a splash of rice wine that evaporates, and some sesame oil added after you turn off the heat.

Prepared that way, I love Brussels sprouts.

Bacon in burgers… Cannot understand why it goes in the mix.
Rather have some tasty beef and salty cheese to do a better job

Attachments

• IMG_8524.gif
    IMG_8524.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Anything served in a Japanese-American restaurant that doesn’t require reservations. I’m sure there are great places in New York city and other major cities, but I’m not there.

I don’t like seafood so sashimi and sushi rolls are out. Thats 95% of the menu.

Vegetables exist: put them on the menu! Iceberg lettuce with shredded carrots is not a salad. It is packing material.

Miso + water + scallions is not soup.

If you are a “japanese steakhouse” put a steak in the menu! If it is sliced it is not a steak! Read the definition of steak! Don’t cover it in sugar sauce, it is supposed to be quality beef. Call it sliced beef with teriyaki sauce, but don’t call it a steak. And whatever you do, don’t slice it before cooking thats just wrong.

Last edited:
Bacon in burgers… Cannot understand why it goes in the mix.
Rather have some tasty beef and salty cheese to do a better job
To clarify -- do you mean bacon *on* a burger, or bacon ground up in the burger itself?

Because I'm totally okay with the first one, but please lord don't grind bacon into your hamburger. Just switch to 70/30 like the barely civilized animals we are and go from there!

To clarify -- do you mean bacon *on* a burger, or bacon ground up in the burger itself?

Because I'm totally okay with the first one, but please lord don't grind bacon into your hamburger. Just switch to 70/30 like the barely civilized animals we are and go from there!
Today I kneaded some minced bacon into a burger patty. It worked well … you could not taste the bacon, but the whole thing was better.

Fwiw it was bacon minced under a knife.

In general. There’s just no reason to throw it in a burger. Minced or as a slice.
I get that I looks great, but flavour wise, I don’t see it.

People are way to religious about bacon anyway

In general. There’s just no reason to throw it in a burger. Minced or as a slice.
I get that I looks great, but flavour wise, I don’t see it.

People are way to religious about bacon anyway
Saint Bacon wards the faithful against Crucifer and Bromeliad. All praise Saint Bacon.

I guess we can add asparagus to the list of things where I really struggle to see what all the fuss is about.

I guess we can add asparagus to the list of things where I really struggle to see what all the fuss is about.
Asparagus are palpable with enough spices and lemon, cant say the same about artichokes.

artichokes steamed then covered in basil oil and grilled is sooooo good
One of the few veg I genuinely like. A light creamy bitterness followed by an almost-minty tang. Pure pleasure with fresh mayo or honest hollandaise.

Lotsa ‘choke farms on the SF peninsula along the coast, contaminated with a few fields of Lucifer’s crucifers.

For the life of me I can’t figure out why people bother with artichoke. So much work, to scrape a tiny amount of flesh off the leaf and discard 90% of the thing? Feels like lobster, where for 80% of the population it’s just an excuse to save some butter from peanut butter sandwiches and have an excuse to drink it. I don’t dislike the flavor or anything like that, I just don’t find it worth the effort or waste.

Asparagus is great. Same situation as sprouts. High heat, simple seasonings, let the veg sing (scream really, with how charred it should come out of the oven)

For the life of me I can’t figure out why people bother with artichoke. So much work, to scrape a tiny amount of flesh off the leaf and discard 90% of the thing? Feels like lobster, where for 80% of the population it’s just an excuse to save some butter from peanut butter sandwiches and have an excuse to drink it. I don’t dislike the flavor or anything like that, I just don’t find it worth the effort or waste.

Asparagus is great. Same situation as sprouts. High heat, simple seasonings, let the veg sing (scream really, with how charred it should come out of the oven)
That brings me to char on food. So not my thing. A friend otoh considers many meats and veg still raw unless portions have been carbonized.

1711057358149.gif

Back