WIP: from Trash to Treasure

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping there would be an interesting answer...but I didn't understand it. inhomogeneity = evenly distributed differences and heterogeneity = non-evenly distributed differences?

Well it's not something I have ever reflected much on though I am not sure I have use the word heterogeneous much in regards to metal. The confusion might stem from most people subconsciously have milk as a reference.

I guess I might describe a metal matrix composite or cast iron as heterogeneous as they involve materials with two constituents evenly, more or less, distributed. However, if I was melting in a medium frequency induction furnace which stirs the slag into the melt evenly from top to bottom I do say it is a homogeneous melt.

I guess for metallurgists the opposite of homogeneous is in-homogeneous not heterogeneous. Just that simple. :)

-AJ

Well it's not something I have ever reflected much on though I am not sure I have use the word heterogeneous much in regards to metal. The confusion might stem from most people subconsciously have milk as a reference.

I guess I might describe a metal matrix composite or cast iron as heterogeneous as they involve materials with two constituents evenly, more or less, distributed. However, if I was melting in a medium frequency induction furnace which stirs the slag into the melt evenly from top to bottom I do say it is a homogeneous melt.

I guess for metallurgists the opposite of homogeneous is in-homogeneous not heterogeneous. Just that simple. :)

-AJ

I can accept that. Thanks AJ!

We re-forged the wrought iron and put it with some other old wrought iron from a wagon wheel. You can see some layering even though there are only 7 layers. We'll draw this out and restack and re-weld. Then it should be ready to sanmai.

Hoss

003.JPG

005.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

025.jpg

026.jpg

028.JPG

033.JPG

038.JPG

040.JPG

Very cool stuff, Hoss. Your shop and tools seem to be in incredible shape, which says a fair bit about you. I wish I was neater, but alas....

Just thinkin', you should get Mike Davis to paint for you. :D

Tru dat!

Thanks for all the love peeps.

Hoss

There's a huge mental and emotional component to physical recovery and healing so I can see why even though the doctor hasnt given you the clear yet, getting back to what you were clearly made to do could be very therapeutic.
Thanks for the WIP and I hope you're back up to 100% Hoss Power soon.

Here's the restack and re-weld. I think that we can sanmai this tomorrow.

Hoss

004.JPG

005.jpg

Is there a pattern/striations in the steel? or is that just cutting marks?

Yea, you can see the layers, but the saw marks make it hard to see. Good eye Z.

Hoss

Nice post Hoss, wrought can be tricky stuff, so many different grades of it. The cleanest stuff I had was from inside a mine shaft, it was a structural grade piece off a coal truck. The latest stuff I used was trash in comparison, just thin barrel hoops and heavily cider corroded:D. But it worked after further refining as you have done.
I watch it being re-rolled on the big rolls at Iron bridge sometimes. Big half chain links, out of the furnace at welding heat, couple of dinks under the steam hammer to straighten it out, then back and forth through the rolls into 2 inch 3 meter long bars.

Will, are the rolls at Ironbridge an historical thing or a working shop.

Hoss

A bit of both to keep them going. I'm sure there is some funding involved and I think most of the guys who do the work are enthusiasts. But companies like Chris Topp and co, who re-rolls iron himself commercially, make use of the facility, or leases it and the workforce. I'm sure that helps keep it going. I have a load of pictures somewhere. I will dig them out and put them up somewhere. If you come to the uk, Iron-bridge must be on a Hoss must visit list.:D

Rolling, cutting, the bars, and annealing in the furnace. And why does this thing rearrange my photos?

Hoss

021.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

030.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

Great thread. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

What sort of wind swept, recycled, cool looking piece are you using for a handle?

Local elk horn for the handle.

Hoss

Gah! This is like the coolest thing ever.

Hey hoss How did you turn that sharp corner on the band saw?

Back