WIP: from Trash to Treasure

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This just keeps on getting better and better.

one of my most favorite things elk antler. I made a set of grips for my Ruger Blackhawk about 25 years ago and they are still going strong.

Here's the etched blade. The wrought iron makes it look like an antique. The photo doesn't show it very well but this is some wild stuff.

Thanks for all of the support, and thanks for following the thread.

Love and respect

Hoss

006.jpg

Burning and brushing the horn to add color. CA glue applied to the surface and gluing them to some spacer material.

Hoss

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

I remember we used to use the torch to lightly scorch wood in high school...it would scorch the different layers at different rates and make a variegated pattern...never thought about using it on other natural materials.

Cool idea Devin!

Gorgeous grain in the iron, like watery ripples.:biggrin:

Putting the mokume on the head of the handle bolts. Dry fitting the handle scales.

After we finish the front of the scales, we can glue everything up.

Thanks for following.

Love and respect

Hoss

002.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

018.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

029.JPG

030.jpg

031.jpg

The tang looks slightly hollowed out, is this correct? If so, what's the benefit(s)?

It's to hold more epoxy. If everything is too flat, it squishes out the glue.

Hoss

Nice, just as I had thought. Looks like I'm picking up on some things around here! Thanks, Hoss

Almost done. I worked a little more on this than I should have today. I'll get yelled at by the doc on Monday.

Thanks for following the thread.

Love and respect

Hoss

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.JPG

Very nice!! Great thread Devin. Thanks for sharing. :)

Its good to see ya back at it, even if only part time and just so ya dont loose it!!! :spin chair:

God Bless

Me... want (both of them, actually :rofl2:)

Back