WIP: from Trash to Treasure

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, 4444 north Forth street, Forthtown, MD. 44044 right?

Hoss

Absolutely great, Hoss. Love the faux bolster effect. One last thing, I just shipped Marc the Tuxedo Gyuto and you got the zip code wrong. It's actually 44444.

That knife is too cool. Listen, I'd be happy to deliver it for you. You can trust me ... Really.

Thanks guys.

I have a little finishing to do and this one will be done. I have really enjoyed this project. I was surprised that the wrought iron was a little difficult to finish, I think it was do to the silica in the iron. The heat treat came out good on this one. The mokume handle bolts are a fun touch to this piece and will darken/patina with age. I love stag horn and these scales have nice color with some very light colored horn underneath. I'm intrigued with the simplicity of the forgecraft knives. One of the reasons that I copied the forgcraft is that it was originally made from salvaged saw blades. We have done projects like this in the past but it has been a while. Thank you to all of the knife makers doing similar things and inspiring me to do this one.

Love and respect

Hoss

Hoss,

It's awesome! Period. :D On top of that, I do have question and I'd love to get your take on it. As you know, Luke Snyder uses recycled steel, almost exclusively, as well as salvage materials for handles and even his aprons. How do you feel about the use of old saw blades and the like, for everyday projects? From what I've experienced with the multiple knives of Luke's that I've used, the steel was outstanding: tough, hard, keen...I really like it, and think it's a great way to clean up scrapyards and bring new life to something that was tossed aside. What do you think?

I love what those guys are doing. There are lots good steels that can be found from recycled materials. Springs, saw blades, files, chainsaw bars, etc. It's most important to learn how to heat treat the steel than what the steel is. I recommend that if you use recycled materials that you find a consistent source for it.

One of the things that we've done over the years is to take materials that have a connection with the customer and forge it into the Damascus, making it personal for them. Lots of fun.

As for handles, the weirder the better.

Love and respect

Hoss

The knife turned out great.
An idea if you do another similar knife;
Wire brushed wenge for a handle like you have done before.
Would give a rustic look with wood grain matching the steel pattern.
(just thinking out loud)

Hoss, all I have to say is that I own two of your mid-tech's and they are incredible. I hope to one day be lucky enough to own a custom by you!

Back