WIP: from Trash to Treasure

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flexible band saw blades, or maybe a .045 x 4 inch cut off wheel and a die grinder.

Hoss

Very cool thread, I only just checked in for the first time. My family on my father's side were metal workers, I wish I had paid more attention as a kid... But my Grandpa made more boring things like welding ornamental metal gates and fences, nothing exciting like forging things... Nevertheless, I feel some affinity to metal work. Maybe one day...

Stefan

Profiling, belts, center punching the tang, name stamp, and drilling the holes for the handle bolts.

I showed a pic of the belts because this is one necessary evil. It is always exciting to get new belts and always hard to throw them away when they are worn out. I had a former employee steal about $25,000.00 worth of stuff from me and the only thing that I was upset about was that he stole about $1000.00 worth of belts. The sheriff's department got them back for me and I was one happy camper.

Hoss

001.jpg

004.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Heating in the Evenheat, quenching in oil, keeping it straight in the horizontal vice, and the sub-zero quench, into the tempering oven next.

We are leaving for graduation. We had an exchange student a few years ago from Hong Kong. She has attended a university close by and is graduating today. She is crazy. Her parents have a restaurant and she said she could cook in her bio before we picked her, I cooked a lot more Chinese food for her than she did for us. Her idea of cooking was to warm some imitation crab meat with some cheese on top in the microwave. We've had four exchange students and love all of them.

Hoss

012.jpg

013.JPG

014.JPG

017.jpg

021.JPG

Looking good!

(I'm irrationally amused to see all these photos and think, "I've touched that wall/grinder/flask/oven/etc. before!" :happymug:, thanks again for that, Hoss.)

HT before grind? Doesn't it make it more difficult?

Funny about the exchange student. Hope that the graduation was good. Has to be rewarding.

Hoss, can I be your next exchange student?
I really can cook!

HT before grind? Doesn't it make it more difficult?

Before HT the metal is soft and gummy. Also, the thinner it is when you go to HT the more problems you can end up with warping. Plus Devin has a giant grinder to do his distal taper on which helps remove some mass before bevels get ground in.

Before HT the metal is soft and gummy. Also, the thinner it is when you go to HT the more problems you can end up with warping. Plus Devin has a giant grinder to do his distal taper on which helps remove some mass before bevels get ground in.

Thanks for the information. Interesting, interesting. I do love Devin's WIP.

Removing metal prior to hand grinding. Doing the distal taper on the surface grinder. Hand grinding the blade. Some of the layers showing. Final rough grind.

Thanks everyone, love and respect.

Hoss

003.JPG

005.jpg

008.jpg

012.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

020.JPG

024.jpg

025.jpg

Very Cool!
The pattern in the steel is looking like wood grain.

Removing metal prior to hand grinding. Doing the distal taper on the surface grinder. Hand grinding the blade. Some of the layers showing. Final rough grind.

Thanks everyone, love and respect.

Hoss

What does the idler arm setup look like on your surface grinder? I gave away a surface grinder I got when a local factory closed down- looks like I may be back in the market. Every time I get rid of a tool (or knife or gun or ...), I regret it.

What does the idler arm setup look like on your surface grinder? I gave away a surface grinder I got when a local factory closed down- looks like I may be back in the market. Every time I get rid of a tool (or knife or gun or ...), I regret it.

Here's some pics.

Hoss

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Devin - what type of band saw blades are you using? I have a brand called Die Master made for me by Dinosaw here in Hudson, NY and they last 8 - 10 conversions on heat treated steel. That includes a Hiromoto AS - that was a tough one. They are soft near the butt, but it's tougher cutting as you approach the choil. I use a 30 weight/naptha blend for lubricant/cooling. That reminds me I need to order a few new ones.

I'm not sure what brand I use, it is a bi-metal M42 blade. I only cut annealed material with mine though. Sounds like your getting pretty good use out of yours.
We use a .045 x 4 inch cut off blade on a die grinder for anything that is hardened.

Hoss

Thanks Hoss - I'm going to look into rigging up an air grinder this summer. I can probably make a tap for extra air to keep the work cool.

Cutting the horn into useable pieces. This is a shed from around these parts that was given to me by a friend. It's a little bleached out right now but we'll put some color back into it before we're done.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

010.JPG

Is this one going to be for sale, Hoss?

Back