Your favorite cookbook?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Food and Cooking, by Harold McGee. May be wordy for some, but that book never fails to make me HUNGRY and inspired.
Couldn't agree more, his latest book, Keys to good cooking, is very good as well.

Last night I bought: On Food and Cooking, by Harold McGee. I didn't get much sleep - interesting stuff and not that hard to digest - even though English is not my mother tongue.

I have been kinda curious about this, is Culinary artistry and the flavor bible the same book or should I buy both? I own the flavor bible but have been curious about culinary artistry. Some people say they are completely different.

Description says that Culinary artistry focus on classic combos before 2000 .... The Flavor bible focus more on modern combos - 2000 and ahead. Seems like you need both of these :D

Just got Jacob Kennedy's BOCCA. Which is a great book with a lot of new ideas about Italian cooking. Kennedy is British so the book has a slightly different slant, which I like a lot. Definitely recommend it.

I have a few of the cookbooks mentioned here, but picked up the following as a Christmas/New Year's present for myself: "On Food and Cooking" (McGee), "The Silver Spoon" (Phaidon), "Ratio" (Ruhlman), "What to Drink with What You Eat" (Dorneburg). When more than one person here lists a cookbook as their "favorite" it's hard not to want to check it out. I'm sure I will learn something from all of them...

Just got done reading this thread and now my Amazon wishlist has grown quite a bit. Pretty excited to get some of these.

Something I found very useful was buying the textbook for a college cookery course, it was very informative and had loads of pictures. I like Nigel Slater's books, it is all basically home cooking but it is great, the type of food I like

Here's a new favorite of mine that I received for Christmas.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I picked up that one also. Along with Eleven Madison Park, Sauces, Good Eats 3, and Flavor Bible.
I've done meal 24: Garbanzo beans w/spinach & egg, glazed teriyaki pork belly, sweet potato w/ honey & cream and picked out dishes from some of the other meals. Very simple and good. Also the meals are usually pretty affordable.

Darn it guys! My cookbook wishlist is getting too big too fast!

I got the Ferran Adria book yesterday and looked through it for a bit. Maybe I had wrong expectations, but at a first glance I am a bit underwhelmed. O.k., it is nicely done, but this is the first time in a cook book that I actually thought there are too many pictures. I guess what I had expected were more variation of Spanish dished that I know, and what the book delivers is a set of very eclectic recipe which are solid and certainly good home meals, I just haven't seen much that really jumped out at me and said 'cook me!' But I will ready it over a bit more thoroughly before I give it a final verdict.

The other book that came in yesterday was the Reinhart's 'Artisan breads every day', and that looked really nice. Still waiting for a slow cooking book and then I should be done for a while again. Sometimes I consider selling off a few of my cook books, there are always a ton I never really use or look into much, but considering the few $$ I usually get for used books, I'd rather keep them. I just hate the thought of my next move...

Stefan

Today I placed an Amazon order for a cable for my iPhone, and of course that wasn't good enough so I also picked up Big Ranch, Big City by Louis Lambert. Pretty excited for this one.

I think Ratio might be my favorite right now, too. I checked out the new Heston Blumenthal book as well as Ad Hoc and Bouchon by Thomas Keller at a bookstore recently. I really liked all three.

Bringin' it back from the dead. I've been looking for this thread!

Eleven Madison Park, Elements of Dessert, Joe Beef, Faviken, Notes from A Kitchen, The Keller Collection, Alinea, Toque , Volt Ink, COCO, and The Art of Fermentation. That just to name a few.

Recently it's been Ratio and Twenty--both by Ruhlman. Also, Beard's Theory and Practice of Good Cooking.

Wow, being a new member of this Forum I love it when old gems in the pot like this thread gets a stir. My favourites:
The Tasajara Bread Book (a sentimental attachment, it started me baking bread in 1974)
Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art, Shizuo Tsuji (my Japanese primer)
The Heart of Zen Cuisine, A 600 year tradition of vegetarian cooking (says it all, I love the elegant minimalism of this tradition)
Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, Marcella Hazan (as mentioned by a couple others here)
Moro, (as well as) Casa Moro, Sam & Sam Clark (Moroccan and Spanish, lively and different approach by two youngish English cooks)
The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking, Yamuna Devi (a fantastic source for Indian cuisine, easy to adapt to seafood or even meat if you need to)

Mrs Beetons cookery book from 1928 because it was my great grandmothers and it amazes me how little the basics have changed.It has a great page of kitchen maxims,such as "a stew boiled is a stew spoiled" and cringeworthy ones like"thrust an oniony knife into the earth to takeaway the smell."Other than that Mcgee,Fat Duck ,Modernist cuisine,LaReportoire,anything by David Thompson-actually really hard to name a favourite.

Lately, I have been liking All About Roasting by Molly Stevens. She has this chicken pieces with Dijon mustard that is simple and amazing. I made it back in November when I was trying out Justin's Fowler Honesuki and needed a simple recipe that involved breaking down chickens. Since then I have made it three times along with a couple of other recipes that have been spot on.

k.

My current favorite is Farmhouse Cooking by Mary Black. It's a little dated, published in New Zealand in the late 80s I think, but the food is good, simple, and interesting

My hands down favorite is "The Complete Greek Cookbook" I've had for 30+ yrs. I also like "I Hear America Cooking" But I try stuff I read about, or see on line here and no other forums.

Charcuterie & Salumi by Ruhlman

and I been going through Around My French Table by Dorie Grennspan alot lately.

Here and ON other forums man it's like I'm dyslexic today . . . DOH!!!

Back