Knives & Stones Tanaka knives the KNS way (240mm Ginsanko Nashiji)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
I have always wanted to carry tanaka knives other than the SG2 western line, but their questionable F&F always prevented me from fully commit into it. Until recently I worked with Tanaka and my handle supplier to come up with something that I am finally happy! I will be carrying a lot more Tanakas in the near future.

What is the KNS way this time around?
  • Rounded spine and choil a standard
  • An awesome newly designed K&S semi-custom handle a standard. The timber in this case is Australian Gidgee (damn hard and heavy) but may change in the future.
  • Same great value!

Before I am able to get all of the blades, I want to first offer these two 240mm prototypes (the final production ones are based on these) to you guys.
Check them out here!

I am sure this pic is enough to make you click the above link :)
Tanaka_Ginsan_Nashiji_Gyuto_240mm_handle_2__70551.1436023316.1280.1280.jpg

I am flying to Japan on Tuesday AU time, so get it ASAP or you may have to wait until I come back on the 15th:biggrin:

Looks Great! vast improvement from the regular ones. :doublethumbsup:

Wow, I always wanted one of these for myself! I guess this is next on the list. Oh and is it just me or does the nashiji finish look finer than normal?

Wow these look awesome, I now definitely regret buying my blue 2 from metalmaster :(

I would be interested in just really nice dshaped ho and horn handles. I just finished my turn on the Sakura passaround and the only thing I disliked was the weight and size of the handles. I just like really light handles on heavier blades.

The Masamoto and Shigefusa are both super well finished and age very well. I think that would be a great midpoint between the crappy Tanaka handles and the heavier hardwood ones.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the interest and PMs. Both tanakas were gone almost instantly which was really a pleasant surprise to me.
I will need a while for the big handle orders to be delivered, and will update you ASAP.

James

Yeah, I get the point.
That is why I specifically pointed out I may change the timber in the future. Also needs to point out the first batch of KNS handles were indeed a bit bigger than normal and I have since asked the supplier to shrink them a bit. The current profile feels quite good even in a small asian guy's (my) hand.

I always try to put balanced point slightly in front of the bolster (or ferrule) or whatever it is called in this style of handle. In the case of these Tanakas, the balance point is at the "作' (made) Kanji.

Latest posts

Back