Fujirara Knives difference in range

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Barr

Reaction score
Nashiji -what steels are used on this line?

Maboroshi- what steels are used on this line?

Denka-what steels are used on this line?

I imagine all ranges are good the Maboroshi & the Denka lines look similar.

Can anyone clarify the differences the Nashiji line is about half the price of the Denka line & the Maboroshi line lies somewhere in between.

Nashiji = White #1. I used to have one. Decent knife.

Maboroshi = White #1

Denka = Blue super

All are stainless clad.

As for pricing, that's Fujiwara's business. It's probably safe to assume the most work goes into a Denka. He also attaches a considerable increase in price on going from 210 to 240 (gyuto) in any given series.

Different finishes on the blades. The nashiji is the bottom line, roughly finished, core steel of shirogami number 1.
The maboroshi line have the same core steel, but a different finish on the blade. The f&f it s slightly better then the first one.
Denka it s the top line. Aogami super core steel.
The good of this knives is the ht of the steel, the smith it s one of the best in Japan, but the knife himself it s not that good. Many of them come with overgrind, low spots etc....... 😊
Personally I own three of them and I am very happy, but many other were not that lucky

I own nine of Fujiwaras knives in the Nashiji,Maboroshi, and Kasumi (offered just in single bevel) and have found them all to be exemplary, all with good grinds. It seems like the Nashiji line has had the most problems with bad , ill preformed grinds. Also there is some variation in style with the Nashiji. I have one 240mm Gyuto with a machi and one with without. Brontes

Short query on roughly finished I sharpen knives as a trade with Japanese whetstones synthetic & naturals rough finish I take it to mean that it is easily corrected either with stone or wet & dry sand paper or do you mean the bad finish is beyond easy correction ? Many knife makers keep the prices down by not refining the finish & typically in my experience these roughly finished knives are easily made good with little work plus many knives get better with hand sharpening over time particularly single bevel knives.

Thank you I have found some of the best knives are made of Shirogami steel there are pros & cons of this & Aogami Super it depends partly on the way they are heat treated. I would be attracted to Maborishi range.
I have yet to handle or sharpen any Fujiwara knife . I have sharpened a few Kogetsu Goko Toko which are stainless tuschime clad over Shirogami 2 & these are tough as old boots but are hard to get hold of but I think they resemble the Maboroshi range which I imagine is superior been made of Shirogami 1 the price is comparable which is whyy I am interested in getting some for chefs looking for a strong knife.

I have a Nashiji gyuto and a Nashiji nakiri . The heat treat is great on mystery knives. They can take a really keen edge and I have not had any chipping issues at all ( some have had this complaint ).

As far as fit and finish are concerned, these are lacking compared to most. The choil was has been relieved but not smoothed at all. The spine received no attention at all. These are very rustic knives. I have not handled many, but, at least on the Nashiji line, there can be a great variations in weight, thickness, and grind.

I spent a bit of time thinning my gyuto and evening out the blade road. I did not have any over grinds and happy with the results.

Here are some pics of the gyuto

1483911267359.jpg
1483911287969.jpg
View attachment 34180

dwalker good looking photos sometimes I think it is good to work on a knife to get it just how you want it often a lot of hard work to achieve it although it need not be done all at once. I would be quite happy doing this on my own knife.

Back